Record Store Day 2022

yep and people on FB groups now insist on friends and family/venmo for payments because of the new 1099 rules and the mods in those groups allow it. i understand paying friends and fam to people you know and I'm more than happy to pay it on here for people that are regular contributors. but i'd never pay it over there to random people flipping records. the whole thing is crazy to me.
I have sold quite a few records on Facebook in the past and have had similar "im not accepting F&F" discussions with potential buyers before.

The ones that really get me though are when they negotiate and I agree upon a cheaper deal for them, then when they get the records they complain because the postage was £3.50 but they paid £3.80.

I’m in Illinois and unexpectedly got a 1099-K from eBay for selling over $1000 last year. It was a mixture of records, music gear, camera gear, and miscellaneous shit/electronics around the house.

I’ve got more stuff to sell when I stop procrastinating and really don’t want to go down that route again. So for records, it’s gonna be a combination of PIFs, selling here as F&F and hope I’m trusted enough, selling locally, and just trading stuff in at my locals.

There are currently some hot seat Dems that are fighting to get this threshold raised to a non-absurd level, because they realize they are going to lose midterms over it.

If they don't get it resolved , I've decided that I'll just lean into it HARD. You can deduct expenses from a CPA on the following year's tax bill, so I'll hire a CPA, file for an LLC and turn my record buying into a business. I'll put everything in my collection technically up for sale, we'll call it a store. I already work from home so i'll seek out every deduction for utilities, office equipment, hell the lunches i eat will all be done under my online record store. Every record i collect will be inventory and deductible as costs. Probably a good racket for a CPA.

So, we're a few days post RSD - any thoughts on pressings people should be looking out for either on the secondary market or leftovers that may have missed the hype train that shouldn't have (or ones that were appropriately on the hype train)? Any items you're seeing have notable QA or pressing issues to avoid (I've heard there's some notable inconsistency around the Sara Bareilles and James Blake records QA wise for instance). I didn't go for anything too off the wall so I don't have much to share that others won't have better thoughts on but I am curious.

So, we're a few days post RSD - any thoughts on pressings people should be looking out for either on the secondary market or leftovers that may have missed the hype train that shouldn't have (or ones that were appropriately on the hype train)? Any items you're seeing have notable QA or pressing issues to avoid (I've heard there's some notable inconsistency around the Sara Bareilles and James Blake records QA wise for instance). I didn't go for anything too off the wall so I don't have much to share that others won't have better thoughts on but I am curious.
Excellent (perfect sound, no pops, flat)
Joss Stone - LP1
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells II
Willie Nelson - Live, 1974
Everlast - Whitey Ford
Art Pepper - Rhythm Section

Good (loud in the quiet parts and/or some minor pops)
Sara Bareilles
Commander Venus

Poor (little warped, too many pops to ignore)
Trail of Dead - Madonna

Haven't listened to yet
Santana
Frankie and the Witch Fingers
Kittie
Trail of Dead - Century of Self

I am very happy with the 5 LPs I picked up. The one I think everyone should give a chance is the Jonathan Richman - Modern Lovers ‘88, that guy just has so much fun and the album is a blast. It’s cut from the original analog tapes by Kevin Grey and it sounds phenomenal. I am sure it was not a super popular title either so it can be purchased still for around $20.

I am very happy with the 5 LPs I picked up. The one I think everyone should give a chance is the Jonathan Richman - Modern Lovers ‘88, that guy just has so much fun and the album is a blast. It’s cut from the original analog tapes by Kevin Grey and it sounds phenomenal. I am sure it was not a super popular title either so it can be purchased still for around $20.
Modern Lovers, Art Pepper and Pepper Adams all sound great. But I’ve listened to most everything i picked up and really have had no issues. It was a good year! I could recommend any of these -

E8A5F79F-F497-4248-B059-F443D02934C8.jpegA33B5774-1482-4F2B-A2F3-220263FD6726.jpeg

So far I’ve had a listen to Sara Bareilles and I’m happy with it. Some clicks here and there but not enough to cry about it. I did clean it in my spin clean with just distilled water so I wonder if that’s a part of it or static.

I’ll report my thoughts on AIC plus art pepper when I listen.

I DID get some extra vinyl on the side I wonder if I should ask for a replacement.
77D1BDB2-CCA9-475B-963E-311718942288.jpeg

Modern Lovers, Art Pepper and Pepper Adams all sound great. But I’ve listened to most everything i picked up and really have had no issues. It was a good year! I could recommend any of these -

View attachment 137161View attachment 137162
LOL, Yeah you had almost all my pick ups and then some (what, no Walkmen?) but I completely agree it was a very solid RSD the 3 titles you named along with Nick Cave all sound great.

View attachment 137161View attachment 137162

I grabbed some of these, myself (Modern Lovers 88, Akira Ishikawa, Lou Reed, and Art Pepper), but I didn't even know anything about the Poison Idea release.

Back