Record Store Day 2021

Where I’m currently at:

I will probably skip the June date entirely (the Steely Dan reissues caught my attention but realistically I’m never gonna listen to them).

For July, I’m curious about the All Them Witches live album, and trying to talk myself into the Wild Mood Swings picture disc (a weak album on an even weaker format!).

Where I’m currently at:

I will probably skip the June date entirely (the Steely Dan reissues caught my attention but realistically I’m never gonna listen to them).

For July, I’m curious about the All Them Witches live album, and trying to talk myself into the Wild Mood Swings picture disc (a weak album on an even weaker format!).
Here’s a cut from the All Them Witches Live on the Internet—“Blood and Sand/Milk and Endless Waters.”

Ben’s solo at the end is pretty damn awesome.

so i'm DEFINITELY buying the individual RIFTS albums because rifts has been my white whale since forever (I have enough money since its probably about 125 or so at most and I have about 250 in my account by then since I get paid tomorrow and I don't get the next check until the 15th)

the maybes are probably either the soft bulletin companion (I am a little unsure about the price but I love the soft bulletin AND zaireeka tracks in standard stereo is very useful for me because I otherwise can never listen to any parts of zaireeka). and the replacements pleased to meet me B-sides (replacements albums are all over RSDs... and I haven't heard the deluxe tracks from that reissue but will soon so I will think about it.. i can afford all of this)

Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffalo, Kayoko Ishu & Time Five ‎– Okinawa
Bob James - One
Jiro Inagaki & His Soul Media & Yasushi Sawada ‎– Dosojin
Masahiko Sato, Jiro Inagaki And His Big Soul Medi* ‎– Bridge Over Troubled Water
Takeo Moriyama ‎– Green River
Yosuke Yamashita - Clay
and
Soul Slabs Vol.3

Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffalo, Kayoko Ishu & Time Five ‎– Okinawa
Bob James - One
Jiro Inagaki & His Soul Media & Yasushi Sawada ‎– Dosojin
Masahiko Sato, Jiro Inagaki And His Big Soul Medi* ‎– Bridge Over Troubled Water
Takeo Moriyama ‎– Green River
Yosuke Yamashita - Clay
and
Soul Slabs Vol.3

My favorite part of these forums is being exposed to music I would not likely have discovered on my own. I sampled and liked everything except for the Yosuke Yamashita - Clay (which was a little too free jazz for me). A few popped up on the great Terminal Passage (YT channel to which I've already been subscribed for some time). Great post Skalap!

My favorite part of these forums is being exposed to music I would not likely have discovered on my own. I sampled and liked everything except for the Yosuke Yamashita - Clay (which was a little too free jazz for me). A few popped up on the great Terminal Passage (YT channel to which I've already been subscribed for some time). Great post Skalap!

My pleasure. There is a thread if you want to learn more about Japanese Jazz. There are tons of great artists to be discovered and expensive records to be bought :p

My pleasure. There is a thread if you want to learn more about Japanese Jazz. There are tons of great artists to be discovered and expensive records to be bought :p

I thought seeking out a Japanese Jazz thread was a great idea, but then my wallet violently smacked me in the face 😆

That said, 2-3 weeks back, I was perusing the Amazon pre-orders and spotted Hiroshi Suzuki - Cat half speed mastered LP being released on July 30, 2021 (in Canada anyway) on a label I've never heard before.

For anyone curious, here is the link to Cat on the WRWTFWW Records page that is showing a June 11, 2021 release date.

After sampling it, I read a few poor and a few glowing reviews on SH forums (or this one...I can't remember tbh) about the label, so I rolled the dice and I pulled the trigger on it. So for all intents and purposes, it will become my first foray into Japanese jazz.

I thought seeking out a Japanese Jazz thread was a great idea, but then my wallet violently smacked me in the face 😆

That said, 2-3 weeks back, I was perusing the Amazon pre-orders and spotted Hiroshi Suzuki - Cat half speed mastered LP being released on July 30, 2021 (in Canada anyway) on a label I've never heard before.

For anyone curious, here is the link to Cat on the WRWTFWW Records page that is showing a June 11, 2021 release date.

After sampling it, I read a few poor and a few glowing reviews on SH forums (or this one...I can't remember tbh) about the label, so I rolled the dice and I pulled the trigger on it. So for all intents and purposes, it will become my first foray into Japanese jazz.

I have all their We Release Jazz serie records so far except Cat because I already have a Japanese reissue. I have absolutely no complaints about WRWTFWW, all the records I have sound great. I strongly recommend Ryo Fukui's records from the same label, particularly Scenery.

If you want a good introduction to Japanese Jazz at an "affordable" price (= these are not Japanese releases), I recommend following records :
- Spiritual Jazz 8 : Japan pt. 1 & 2 on JazzMan records (Part 1 & Part 2)
- J Jazz Volume 1, 2 &3 : Deep Modern Jazz from Japan on BBE Music (compilations and albums are all listed here)

Last edited:
I think this is going to be a tough year for my "Wants", all low production, so fingers crossed.
June
Chicago/The Blues/Today!
Warren Zevon - Preludes

July
Lindsey Stirling - Lose You Now
Evanescence - The Open Door
Sinead O'Connor - Live in Rotterdam

Is there an "RSD Help" thread started, or is that happening here this year? As usual, I'll need the help of the N&G Army ;)

I think this is going to be a tough year for my "Wants", all low production, so fingers crossed.
June
Chicago/The Blues/Today!
Warren Zevon - Preludes

July
Lindsey Stirling - Lose You Now
Evanescence - The Open Door
Sinead O'Connor - Live in Rotterdam

Is there an "RSD Help" thread started, or is that happening here this year? As usual, I'll need the help of the N&G Army ;)

I’m tempted to add this to my list to get….

I’m listening on apple music and diggin

This would be my first true jazz record though.
Jazz people would this be a good one for a casual to go get? I did play trumpet in high school

If you enjoy streaming it then it would be good one.

I’m tempted to add this to my list to get….

I’m listening on apple music and diggin

This would be my first true jazz record though.
Jazz people would this be a good one for a casual to go get? I did play trumpet in high school

I feel like this is gonna be one of the biggest chase releases from this weekend.

Back