Record Store Day 2021

I wonder how prevalent this is on RSD? It’s the main reason why I won’t buy “unofficial” releases.

I remember RSD like 5 years ago had something similar happen with Spacemen 3 releases. Sonic Boom came out to disavow the RSD releases like a week before RSD which then put The record stores in a bit of a bind because they had already ordered copies.

Last edited:
Just got this, and it occurred to me that it's the perfect example of an RSD release that was only exclusive in so much as it was pressed on clear vinyl. After picking up a few other Black Jazz reissues last year, I almost bought the RSD version off Discogs for twice what I wound up paying for this standard black vinyl pressing. Patience wins every now and again where RSD is concerned...

View attachment 95295

Agreed.

GR-ND-clear-with-black-swirl.jpg

Though in this case, I was actually fortunate enough to be able to score the Clear with black swirl RSD version, I'm commenting more to add that this was my gateway to the Black Jazz label. Since then, I've purchased and been very happy with several other Black Jazz releases. My favorite being Roland Haynes - Second Wave (the title track is especially killer); my runner-up being Calvin Keys - Shawn-Neeq. I also have Chester Thompson's Powerhouse on pre-order due April 30th. In addition to some Tone Poets and Blue Note Classics, I've definitely been building a small Black Jazz collection. If you're a jazz fan and haven't gone down the Black Jazz path, you may want to check them out. Also, it seems original pressings of these are expensive and hard to come by, so these recent remastered releases are a good opportunity!

I remember RSD like 5 years ago had something similar happen with Spacemen 3 releases. Sonic Boom came out to disavow the RSD releases like a week before RSD which then put The record stores in a bit of a bind because they had already ordered copies.
Ah, I remember that. It would be nice if everything was on the up and up.

Zia Records has both the June and July lists up with prices, if you want to gauge about what y'all will be spending. July is gonna hit me hard, if I find everything I'm after.

I calculated my “estimate” using Bullmoose pricing about a week ago. Without the Dead box set I was already at $350ish for June 😱

.... what

Every time I've called in to ask about rsd orders I get "we order a bunch of stuff and we never know what we'll actually get, so I can't take your order for %record%"

Do I just have shit local stores?

If it's a smallish store and if you're a regular then it's probably something they'll do for you. Otherwise probably not. They're not allowed to do it and could get thrown out by the RSD organisation if they got caught. My local owner likes to sort out as many people as he can, he puts orders in for everything his regulars want and sticks them to one side ready for collection the day before the event. He knows the queue is full of scalpers and just wants to make sure the records go to a good home.

Grateful Dead - 5/3/72
Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny
All Them Witches - Live On The Internet
Slum Village - Fantastic Volume II 20th
Tuneyards - W H O K I L L (do I really need to splurge on a colored variant?)
Steely Dan
Miles Davis

Grabbing the Grateful Dead and All Them Witches for sure, if I’m able on the day. The others are very tempting. Some of the others are price depending.

The Doors release seems interesting, just not entirely sure how often I’d spin it.

So here is my finalized list

Day 1:
Linkin Park
Warren Zevon

(Mammoth WVH comes out that weekend so I will count that as one)

Day 2:
Lindsey Stirling
Pearl Jam
(Opeth Blackwater Park 20th repress is that week so I count it as that)

I don't know if i asked or it has been asked... Is there anything new about the Jazz releases?

So here is my finalized list

Day 1:
Linkin Park
Warren Zevon

(Mammoth WVH comes out that weekend so I will count that as one)

Day 2:
Lindsey Stirling
Pearl Jam
(Opeth Blackwater Park 20th repress is that week so I count it as that)

I don't know if i asked or it has been asked... Is there anything new about the Jazz releases?
Another Lindsey fan!!

Back