Record Sleeve Recommendation Thread

I wanted to do the VSS gatefolds like that but it’s like $2 per album or something crazy and I have way too many records to do that too 😂
These work for regular gatefold (not your mofi/ap/stuff) and are significantly cheaper:
BIG FUDGE Vinyl Record Sleeves for GATEFOLD Records! 25 Record Outer Sleeves, 12 Inch LP Sleeves. Crystal Clear Poly Plastic Vinyl Sleeve. Protective Album Sleeves for Vinyl Records Storage https://a.co/d/fsk9W2K

So I went to put soul slabs one in a gatefold sleeve today and that damn thing is taller than a regular record! So is vol 3. Anyone got any ideas? I might see if the bcw sleeves fit on sideways and then order some with flaps.

These work for regular gatefold (not your mofi/ap/stuff) and are significantly cheaper:
BIG FUDGE Vinyl Record Sleeves for GATEFOLD Records! 25 Record Outer Sleeves, 12 Inch LP Sleeves. Crystal Clear Poly Plastic Vinyl Sleeve. Protective Album Sleeves for Vinyl Records Storage https://a.co/d/fsk9W2K
Oh yeah, caveat… I would not call these crystal clear. They’re like the vss or bcw. More of a matte clear, if that makes sense. Not quite cloudy but not like the sleeve city crystal clear make your covers pop and hard to photograph sleeves

Regular vss 12 inch sleeves are a little snug everybody. Great for your super thin jackets, think daptone tip ons or a thin direct to board single. I think I’m gonna end up with like 30 different kind of sleeves. Gonna need an organization system.

Last edited:
Hi, any recommendations on how to handle buying sleeves for tri fold jackets?
Follow up question to this one. I have the oversized outer sleeves from Sleeve City which work great. What's everyone's strategy for inner sleeves and/or record storage within for tri fold? Right now I use mofi inner sleeves and slide the records back into the record sleeve from which they originally came, but that middle part of the trifold is such a pain to get in and out of. Curious if anyone stores them differently.

Follow up question to this one. I have the oversized outer sleeves from Sleeve City which work great. What's everyone's strategy for inner sleeves and/or record storage within for tri fold? Right now I use mofi inner sleeves and slide the records back into the record sleeve from which they originally came, but that middle part of the trifold is such a pain to get in and out of. Curious if anyone stores them differently.
I store all my records behind the sleeves…even 3LPs

edit: behind the jacket

Last edited:
I store all my records behind the sleeves…even 3LPs

Too much ambiguity with the word 'sleeve.' There's the album jacket which houses the records. The inner sleeve within which the record is stored inside the jacket. And then there's the outer sleeve, made of some type of transparent material, which houses the jacket and serves as the topic of this thread. @MikeH I assume you are saying you store your records, in their inner sleeves, behind the jacket (rather than inside it) within the outer sleeve?

Reactions: OMC
Too much ambiguity with the word 'sleeve.' There's the album jacket which houses the records. The inner sleeve within which the record is stored inside the jacket. And then there's the outer sleeve, made of some type of transparent material, which houses the jacket and serves as the topic of this thread. @MikeH I assume you are saying you store your records, in their inner sleeves, behind the jacket (rather than inside it) within the outer sleeve?
Yes should have said behind the jacket.
Front:
81944FE9-5B31-4C63-9F78-2220DBC321D6.jpeg
Back:
3D894F8B-6E4F-4C01-8639-A8722AE31FDC.jpeg

Yes should have said behind the jacket.
Front:
View attachment 169334
Back:
View attachment 169335
I really should make a habit of doing this. All the records I've ordered from Record City have come with the record stored behind the jacket, and I've left them that way (after cleaning the records and replacing the inner sleeves), which I find to be so much easier when I play those records because I don't have to take the jacket out of the outer sleeve. Good strategy!

I really should make a habit of doing this. All the records I've ordered from Record City have come with the record stored behind the jacket, and I've left them that way (after cleaning the records and replacing the inner sleeves), which I find to be so much easier when I play those records because I don't have to take the jacket out of the outer sleeve. Good strategy!
I have always heard of it as the Japanese way to store them so checks out that Record City and others store them that way. Think they take up a little extra space on the shelves but I do find it’s so much easier to pull records out to listen to them. Especially those trifolds. I’ve also damaged some older jackets by trying to pull the records out of the jacket every time I listen so now everything just goes behind the jacket

Thanks for the correction, I did mean album jacket...my bad.

And I really like the idea of doing this a lot and experimented with it a few years ago when my collection was smaller, but it really does add to the space my records take up, and I just don't have that much room. So my compromise is to leave them in the jackets, which bring me back to my challenge with the tri folds.

Also worth noting that whichever album is next to the zippered jacket of Sticky Fingers is going to be at risk....

Thanks for the correction, I did mean album jacket...my bad.

And I really like the idea of doing this a lot and experimented with it a few years ago when my collection was smaller, but it really does add to the space my records take up, and I just don't have that much room. So my compromise is to leave them in the jackets, which bring me back to my challenge with the tri folds.

Also worth noting that whichever album is next to the zippered jacket of Sticky Fingers is going to be at risk....
Just do what I did…get more shelves! 😂

I guess I'll find out, but I'm trying to figure out how it could take up more space when the amount of stuff being crammed onto the shelves isn't changing. I won't be surprised if it does because in a weird way it seems like it should, but why?

I guess I'll find out, but I'm trying to figure out how it could take up more space when the amount of stuff being crammed onto the shelves isn't changing. I won't be surprised if it does because in a weird way it seems like it should, but why?
i think because when you put the record within the jacket, the width it takes up on your shelf doesn't really change. but when you put the record behind the jacket, you have the width of the sleeve + the width of the record if that makes sense...less of a deal with flimsy jackets, but with something like a tip-on, you are taking up more width on the shelves and even though it's a small amount, it adds up when you have lots of records.

i think because when you put the record within the jacket, the width it takes up on your shelf doesn't really change. but when you put the record behind the jacket, you have the width of the sleeve + the width of the record if that makes sense...less of a deal with flimsy jackets, but with something like a tip-on, you are taking up more width on the shelves and even though it's a small amount, it adds up when you have lots of records.
I can't see the records on my shelves and do it the "Japanese" way. It's been so long since I had them stored any other way, I have no idea if they take up more room than needed. My next kallax is my last though so then its get rid of albums if I fill it up. Hopefully, I will be done with a playthough by then and will have purged some more.

Last edited:
I will add the caveat, that I think with boxsets and trifolds, they definitely take up more space as I can see the records.

God, I don't even want to think about trying to take Analogue Production and MoFi records out of outer sleeves to get the records.

Last edited:
I can't see the records on my shelves and do it the "Japanese" way. It's been so long since I had them stored any other way, I have no idea if they take up more room than needed. My next kallax is my last though so then its get rid of albums if I fill it up. Hopefully, I will be done with a playthough by then and will have purged some more.
What is the "Japanese way"? I don't think I have ever come across it before, and Google is no help!

They do take up a bit more space that way, and you have to be more careful not to over stuff your cubes or you'll damage the jackets, but I do this too and think it's best.

Back