Record cleaning - what's your method?

Yeah the plan is to just stick to the expected life e.g. 400 sides (or fewer). I know it's a racket how much they charge for these things, but ultimately it's pennies per side. The Delrin wand, as an example, would come out to about $.20 per side if I cleaned 400 sides and throw in whatever fluids cost and it's like $.50-$1.00 in supplies to clean a record/2xLP, so I'm not super frugal there. Just more or less trying to make sure there's nothing flawed in my approach given how this happens routinely (albeit sporadically).
The delrin isn't going to wear out or need replacing ;)

Not sure how the specs stack up to the humminguru but a new ultrasonic kickstarter looks like it’s on the way

Probably VinylSonic round two. At the top it says 35% off, at the bottom 45% off. It's more sophisticated with fewer typos, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the same scam.

Last edited:
Probably VinylSonic round two. At the top it says 35% off, at the bottom 45% off. It's more sophisticated with fewer typos, but it would surprise me if it's the same scam.

Yeah I was very concerned with that one because compared to what was already on the ultrasonic cleaner market before it the HumminGuru price seemed almost too good to be true, until it was actually produced and arrived, so to offer one for 40% of its price seemed scamish. Same here.

yeah. Don’t expect it to help much. 😬
lol. It was an impulse buy and I don’t have one, so you know. (Not actually quite true, I have Nicole Atkins doing “Every Single Christmas” it’s a lathe cut with a picture pasted to the back. It’s weird. It’s a lathe cut so it also sounds like hell.)

lol. It was an impulse buy and I don’t have one, so you know. (Nit actually quite true, I have Nicole Atkins doing “Every Single Christmas” it’s a lathe cut with a picture pasted to the back. It’s weird. It’s a lathe cut so it also sounds like hell.
The couple pic discs I have are literally for display purposes only ;)

The couple pic discs I have are literally for display purposes only ;)
Meh.. we’ll see what happens. I needed another record to hit free shipping on BFRSD at plaid and grabbed Phil Spector’s Christmas record on picture disc. If it is unlistenable… it can sit in the front of the Christmas ubecube to remind me of my folly.

The phrase that comes to mind is: you can't polish a turd...
But you can cover it in resin
5702daf81e0000b3007062f7.jpeg

Man I just cleaned a record because of all the dust that was collecting in the needle when I played it. It sounds worse. How does this happen? It’s full of little pops that were never there before. Is this just static?

Man I just cleaned a record because of all the dust that was collecting in the needle when I played it. It sounds worse. How does this happen? It’s full of little pops that were never there before. Is this just static?
It's almost certainly static from drying.

All that dust on the needle means there is a ton of crap in the grooves, and your needle didn't get it all. Clean, then play again, and there will be a ton more on the needle. Then clean again. All those little pops aren't static - that would be consistent - so just keep cleaning, let the needle dredge up more until it is quiet.

For static I use the fantastic Ursa Major brush. Best. The AQ brushes are cheap junk. Don't know the Thunderon.

Back