Record cleaning - what's your method?

I honestly feel like cleaning records has made my listening worse.. with the spin clean every time I get a new record I have to leave it on standby because when I get at least 5 or so I fill up the tub and clean them all.. which leads me to getting overwhelmed and listening to my records much less
That’s why I got a Humminguru. It’s an expensive solution to the problem, but an effective one nonetheless.

I honestly feel like cleaning records has made my listening worse.. with the spin clean every time I get a new record I have to leave it on standby because when I get at least 5 or so I fill up the tub and clean them all.. which leads me to getting overwhelmed and listening to my records much less
You can always embrace the filth like me (preferably with different needles based on whether the record is relatively clean or visibly dirty).

Been a few years but my vpi 16.5 was about the same price as that. Definitely options in that price range
The VPI is twice the price of the Humminguru now. And, the Humminguru is automatic, so no having to “queue” records to get them all cleaned in a batch. The Humminguru has gotten me to listen to records more frequently, not less.

The VPI is twice the price of the Humminguru now. And, the Humminguru is automatic, so no having to “queue” records to get them all cleaned in a batch. The Humminguru has gotten me to listen to records more frequently, not less.
...............but the Humminguru does take longer. VPI, clean album to platter in 2 minutes ;)

I have a custom field in Discogs to track whether I've run any given record through the Humminguru. I've run all my newly-acquired records through it since it arrived, but when I pull out older records I sometimes find myself putting them through a 2-minute wash cycle just to be able to check that box.

I have a custom field in Discogs to track whether I've run any given record through the Humminguru. I've run all my newly-acquired records through it since it arrived, but when I pull out older records I sometimes find myself putting them through a 2-minute wash cycle just to be able to check that box.
I have a less advanced indicator that I think I copied from someone on N&G.

I always put a new MoFi-type sleeve on a cleaned record, even before the Humminguru. If the record has been ultrasonically cleaned, I flip the record in the outer sleeve so that the white backing is showing versus the label side.

It’s crude but generally effective. Your method is superior as collections get large.

Photo #2 is exactly how I dry my records - hung from a line with clothespins, preferably outside in the sun.

Back