Record cleaning - what's your method?

How long have you had your Record Doctor V, mine is about a year old, it seems to work well, but I saw something recently about it potentially molding on the inside and it's not like I can open it up to check

I also bought a small spray bottle and I use that to get the cleaner on the record
A little over a year and a half. No idea about mold either, but I haven't seen signs of any.

A little over a year and a half. No idea about mold either, but I haven't seen signs of any.

The video I saw (granted I have no idea how it was treated prior to the video) there was no outward sign of mold but there was inside

So I'm getting supplies for my Squeaky Clean and have a question. I ordered the TTVJ Vinyl Zyme concentrate. Once mixed with the distilled water how long does the mixture stay good?

Also I thought I read in the old Squeaky Clean thread that some people did a cycle with the cleaner mix and then another with straight distilled water. Is this necessary or just an extra optional step?

I have an Okki Nokki and have used their own fluid till now. I'm keen to try TTVJ. But for all those who have done which of the 3 or 4 strengths should I get? Is the $50 really worth it?!

@DougTheDog reading their website they seem to say it's good for 10 years...

I have 2 questions! For those of you who use a cleaning solution containing alcohol as a cleaning solution when vacuuming records...

1. How long do you leave the solution on the record before vaccuming it off?

2. Do you do a rinse afterwards (just distilled water and then vac)?

I use the London Jazz Collector recipe. It seems to work great. But I am wondering if I should leave the stuff on there a little longer than I currently do.

I have 2 questions! For those of you who use a cleaning solution containing alcohol as a cleaning solution when vacuuming records...

I use the London Jazz Collector recipe. It seems to work great. But I am wondering if I should leave the stuff on there a little longer than I currently do.

I usually leave it on for 2 minutes each side after I use a soft brush to gently rub it around first then I turn on the vac.

I use no rinse. I use triple distilled water and 99% ISO and add a little ILford Ilfotol wetting agent .

I been cleaning my vinyl for over 20 years this way and no degradation in the physical vinyl or loss of sound quality in any way I can discern .

Last edited:

It is my understanding that @HiFi Guy doesn't like alcohol-based cleaners, and he helped me find one that isn't but is cheaper the TTVJ

It is my understanding that @HiFi Guy doesn't like alcohol-based cleaners, and he helped me find one that isn't but is cheaper the TTVJ

Haha this is actually funny . In Jest purely ..........really HIfi Guy does not like Alcohol based vinyl cleaning? OMFG .... I will change my 20 year routine and throw it all away :rolleyes: Stop the press!!!!! LoL.

Gee I hope HIfi Guy don’t mind I put ketchup on my eggs? :love:

I use the 15-S-9 that's water soluble. I mix a couply of milliliters into a liter usually 2 ml, about two eye droppers full. If there is something really weird stuck on a record or it's really dirty from a used bin I might up the concentration or apply some of the product directly. It works for me.

A VPI and the pre-mixed solution @HiFi Guy recommends is much easier and probbaly worth the upfront investment for convenience alone.
Very nice. Since I'm a Spin-Clean guy still, I just use their solution for now, and it's been working fine. I'll remember this once I get the itch to switch things up.

I leave it on for about 30 seconds! And then a distilled water + vac rinse after. Seems to work the best!

Haha this is actually funny . In Jest purely ..........really HIfi Guy does not like Alcohol based vinyl cleaning? OMFG .... I will change my 20 year routine and throw it all away :rolleyes: Stop the press!!!!! LoL.

Gee I hope HIfi Guy don’t mind I put ketchup on my eggs? :love:
To each his, or her, own. I used an alcohol based home brew that's pretty much what you described and it never worked well in my opinion, I went to a Spin Clean after that, which worked better, but I started getting residue on my stylus. Enter the VPI and I couldn't be happier. I guess everyone's results may vary.

To each his, or her, own. I used an alcohol based home brew that's pretty much what you described and it never worked well in my opinion, I went to a Spin Clean after that, which worked better, but I started getting residue on my stylus. Enter the VPI and I couldn't be happier. I guess everyone's results may vary.

Did you use the Alcohol based cleaner in conjunction with a vacuum based machine or?.........I use it in conjunction with a cleaner thats essentially the same as the VPI and excellent results .......so many vacuum brands out there is this category these days.

Did you use the Alcohol based cleaner in conjunction with a vacuum based machine or?.........I use it in conjunction with a cleaner thats essentially the same as VP and excellent results .......so many vacuum brands out there is this category these days.
No it was a completely manual process. I tried a few ways of drying and or adjusting the amount of Ilfotol as well and could never get a good result. Then with the Spin Clean my hope was their formula would have a better agent, which it seemed to have, but I always got residue on my stylus when cleaning it. It had to be residue from the Spin Clean formula, I tried adjusting the cleaning method as well as drying method. After all that, a vacuum method seemed to be the way to go and it hasn't failed me since day one. Its simple, fast and effective. But whatever works for you, but clean your records in some way before playing folks :)

For those of you looking for a wetting agent for your home brew solution (like the London Jazz Collector formula) this is where I got mine. It’s cheap and provides enough to make at least a gallon of solution. It’ll last years.

For those of you looking for a wetting agent for your home brew solution (like the London Jazz Collector formula) this is where I got mine. It’s cheap and provides enough to make at least a gallon of solution. It’ll last years.

Yup it’s great stuff. I bought mine locally at a camera 🎥 shop

Back