Record cleaning - what's your method?

So from reading quite a few pages, it looks like Record Dr vs. Squeaky Clean comes down to personal preference?

Has anyone used one of these?:

Amazon product ASIN B07L3G9TBS
Does this add anything to the mix? or stick to one of the others.
Looks like the record dr has the vacuum built in and you have to flip the wet record to vacuum it. Squeaky clean is less expensive, you supply your own shop-vac, and you don’t have to flip the wet record. Not sure I’d trust that ultrasonic diy unit

So from reading quite a few pages, it looks like Record Dr vs. Squeaky Clean comes down to personal preference?

Has anyone used one of these?:

Amazon product ASIN B07L3G9TBS
Does this add anything to the mix? or stick to one of the others.
Hmmm, for $250 and being able to clean 6 albums at a time it's intriguing to say the least. Taking a chance on things like this from Amazon is a little less stressful due simple Amazon returns. Of course it ain't the prettiest thing in the world ;)

Hmmm, for $250 and being able to clean 6 albums at a time it's intriguing to say the least. Taking a chance on things like this from Amazon is a little less stressful due simple Amazon returns. Of course it ain't the prettiest thing in the world ;)
I’d be more worried about damaging my records. Plus this one doesn’t dry so you’re stuck with using one of those dish racks to dry the albums

To anyone in Dublin or nearby I have a spin clean and an almost full bottle of fluid that I’d be willing to donate to a good home. You’ll have buy the cloths yourself because i want to keep those. It’s a nice starting point to getting into cleaning records!

To anyone in Dublin or nearby I have a spin clean and an almost full bottle of fluid that I’d be willing to donate to a good home. You’ll have buy the cloths yourself because i want to keep those. It’s a nice starting point to getting into cleaning records!

you could try here too

I might give this Vevor ultra-sonic cleaner a try when I raise the funds:

I have a vinyl stack in combination with a generic cavitation bath, I’ve never really understood why having to wipe a record dry with a microfiber cloth is such a big deal. I have learned that you will not successfully clean records if they are too close together, I only clean two records at a time with my vinyl stack which has a capacity of three. As long as the frequency the cavitation bath is within the proper range for records then in practicality it’s not any different than other ultrasonic systems short of drying.

I have a vinyl stack in combination with a generic cavitation bath, I’ve never really understood why having to wipe a record dry with a microfiber cloth is such a big deal. I have learned that you will not successfully clean records if they are too close together, I only clean two records at a time with my vinyl stack which has a capacity of three. As long as the frequency the cavitation bath is within the proper range for records then in practicality it’s not any different than other ultrasonic systems short of drying.
My experience wiping records dry with cloths is mostly that they develop intense static charge. But that's an environmental thing and I acknowledge it varies climate to climate.

The thing is, at some point, the labor involved in cleaning records becomes a deterrent. That's true for me, certainly, and it seems to be true for many who've commented in this and/or the Humminguru thread. One of the attractions of the typical ultrasonic cleaner is that you put the record in, set the cleaner running, then walk away and come back when the record is clean and dry. Labor costs are nil. I agree with you that it's no big deal to dry a record with a microfiber cloth, but to do that to 10, 15, 20 records per cleaning session requires a fair bit of labor. Not much of a gain (labor-wise) over some other forms of cleaning (ignoring for the moment potential differences in how well they clean the records).

I understand everyone has their own goal and motivations for cleaning and everyone’s lifestyle doesn’t allow as much free time as I have. Subjectively I think the process is pretty efficient and you can clean about 18 records an hour with a diy setup and manual drying. Many records require multiple cleanings no matter what system you use and I feel like that’s something some people may not realize going into it. I have cleaned approximately 3500 records with this setup, I’m on my second cavitation bath from Amazon, the first one blew a transistor. I also would purchase a kirmuss machine if my current setup fails as it seems like a great value for what it is and I think it’s something that anyone who can afford it should consider, their surfactant seems to be quite good buying their machine gives you access to purchase the surfactant.

Last edited:
I understand everyone has their own goal and motivations for cleaning and everyone’s lifestyle doesn’t allow as much free time as I have. Subjectively I think the process is pretty efficient and you can clean about 18 records an hour with a diy setup and manual drying. Many records require multiple cleanings no matter what system you use and I feel like that’s something some people may not realize going into it. I have cleaned approximately 3500 records with this setup, I’m on my second cavitation bath from Amazon, the first one blew a transistor. I also would purchase a kirmuss machine if my current setup fails as it seems like a great value for what it is and I think it’s something that anyone who can afford it should consider, their surfactant seems to be quite good buying their machine gives you access to purchase the surfactant.
It's good to have this info about the Amazon cavitation bath. Thanks. I'd wondered about whether mounting the records close to each other would allow for proper cleaning, so your discovery that cleaning two records at a time is best makes sense. 3,500 cleanings would be hard to argue with! 🍻

I’m sure on paper it somehow leads them to believe that they have proper spacing but in practicality it’s pretty obvious that it’s not enough. That kirmuss audio surfactant is anecdotally pretty amazing, I highly suggest it if you can get your hands on it.

Cleaners of the world: are you cleaning your 40+ year old used records (that look clean) expecting them to play with zero pops? Or do you hold a certain truth that used records will never be fully restored to their once pristine selves.

Back