Record cleaning - what's your method?

If it’s a 6 liter cavitation bath like I have do two records at a time with my vinyl stack, when I clean three at a time which is it’s capacity it’s obvious it doesn’t work.

I just use the mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water that kirmuss audio recommends and use both disc doctor solution and brushed and the kirmuss audio surfactant for additional cleaning.

So 3 records don’t get clean? Why is that?
My assumption is that multiple records act as as "baffles" and increasingly dampen the turbulent vibrations in the tank as more records are added. Eventually you reach a point where the vibrations are rendered too weak to effectively clean records. That's my guess based on freshman physics, so take it for what it's worth.

Any truth to the rumors that were discussed yesterday around Analog sites about how the zerodust leaves a residue that is harmful for the stylus?

Any truth to the rumors that were discussed yesterday around Analog sites about how the zerodust leaves a residue that is harmful for the stylus?

I’m curious to see more independent verification, but the photos are pretty damning.

Reactions: OMC

It was mentioned verrry briefly during the recent 'discussions' with Chad Kassem and Mike Esposito but I wasn't aware of it until then. Pretty shocking photos though.

Reactions: OMC

For some reasons (that has to do with the shape of the stylus I guess) my 2M Bronze attracted a lot more of dust than a previous elliptical. I used the onzow a couple times, with mixed results. ow that I clean my records with the HG almost every time before playing them, I don't have the dust attached to the stylus anymore (though maybe still some residual goo from the Onzow?).

Cleaners of the world: are you cleaning your 40+ year old used records (that look clean) expecting them to play with zero pops? Or do you hold a certain truth that used records will never be fully restored to their once pristine selves
After ultrasonic cleaning, records I purchased new starting since the mid 60's still play with negligible surface noise, and ones purchased used range from little to no noise. Many that are over 50 years old are as quiet as digital. Granted I have always handled my records carefully through the years.

For some reasons (that has to do with the shape of the stylus I guess) my 2M Bronze attracted a lot more of dust than a previous elliptical. I used the onzow a couple times, with mixed results. ow that I clean my records with the HG almost every time before playing them, I don't have the dust attached to the stylus anymore (though maybe still some residual goo from the Onzow?).
clean every record with the HG every time before play? wow thats dedication:)

clean every record with the HG every time before play? wow thats dedication:)
Yeah, if it's the first time I clean the record with the HG I do a 5 min clean and an auto deep clean. If it was previously cleaned, just a quick auto clean before putting it on the plater.

Cleaners of the world: are you cleaning your 40+ year old used records (that look clean) expecting them to play with zero pops? Or do you hold a certain truth that used records will never be fully restored to their once pristine selves.
So from reading quite a few pages, it looks like Record Dr vs. Squeaky Clean comes down to personal preference?

Has anyone used one of these?:

Amazon product ASIN B07L3G9TBS
Does this add anything to the mix? or stick to one of the others.
I've used a similar one to clean about 125 records so far and have had excellent results. If money wasn't an object a purpose built ultrasonic cleaner would be nice. I'm on a budget however and seek the most bang for my buck. The DIY ultrasonics may not be pretty, but they provide similar cleaning at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
Back