Record cleaning - what's your method?

Squeaky Clean still costs the same. đź‘€
Record Doctor V is 199, works good, although I would love a VPI rcm one day. A store that went out of biz had a HW-17 but it went quick last year for $500. Thing about VPI's is there are hand built in NJ, and you can always get parts so they last a long time. Seems like just about everything has gone up and or is short on parts/supplies/labor these days.

Last edited:
Record Doctor V is 199, works good, although I would love a VPI rcm one day. A store that went out of biz had a HW-17 but it went quick last year for $500. Thing about VPI's is there are hand built in NJ, and you can always get parts so they last a long time. Seems like just about everything has gone up and or is short on parts/supplies/labor these days.
Have to say that once you've used something like the Squeaky Clean that doesn't require you to flip the wet record in order to vacuum it, there's no going back.

Have to say that once you've used something like the Squeaky Clean that doesn't require you to flip the wet record in order to vacuum it, there's no going back.
Does the Squeaky Clean vacuum both sides of the record at the same time?

No, the vacuum nozzle is just on the same side as the one you're washing. You rotate it out of the way.
So the SqClean requires one flip: apply fluid to side A, brush, vacuum, then flip and repeat for side B?

The RDV requires two flips: apply fluid to side A, brush, flip (#1), vacuum side A, apply fluid to side B (no need to flip here), brush, flip (#2), vacuum side B.

I'm sure the SqClean is an excellent record cleaner, but I have to defend the comparably priced RDV. Yes, it requires one extra flip which takes about one second, but it does the job well and it's self-contained in a small box, which has advantages over a shop vac/hose/cleaning mat set up for storage and convenience.

So the SqClean requires one flip: apply fluid to side A, brush, vacuum, then flip and repeat for side B?

The RDV requires two flips: apply fluid to side A, brush, flip (#1), vacuum side A, apply fluid to side B (no need to flip here), brush, flip (#2), vacuum side B.

I'm sure the SqClean is an excellent record cleaner, but I have to defend the comparably priced RDV. Yes, it requires one extra flip which takes about one second, but it does the job well and it's self-contained in a small box, which has advantages over a shop vac/hose/cleaning mat set up for storage and convenience.
Absolutely. I can understand and support your defense of the one-second extra flip. I'm just saying that for me, having done it both ways, not having to flip the wet record is a definite advantage, especially if I want to wash, vacuum, then rinse and vacuum (which I actually don't because I just add a rinse to my wash and then vacuum once).

Absolutely. I can understand and support your defense of the one-second extra flip. I'm just saying that for me, having done it both ways, not having to flip the wet record is a definite advantage, especially if I want to wash, vacuum, then rinse and vacuum (which I actually don't because I just add a rinse to my wash and then vacuum once).
Ah, that makes more sense if you're doing two steps per record side, a cleaning step and a rinsing step. That much flipping could get confusing. Sometimes I get in a rhythm but then forget whether I have cleaned one side or both sides of a record, and that's with without an extra rinsing step.

i just have a few frustrations with the spin clean..
1. i dunno when to wash the clothes because they sometimes get wet super easily and it leads to issues.. and when i use them i feel like I'm making it worse by scratching them
2. if your record is slightly warped it WILL have issues and not fit in the rollers

i just have a few frustrations with the spin clean..
1. i dunno when to wash the clothes because they sometimes get wet super easily and it leads to issues.. and when i use them i feel like I'm making it worse by scratching them
2. if your record is slightly warped it WILL have issues and not fit in the rollers

To address #1, you’d probably be safe in buying additional microfiber cloths so you’re not just relying on the spin clean cloths. Neither one should scratch your records.

Just thought id discuss my cleaning method using Project VCS.
Some may wince....
I use the analogy of washing a dirty plate with dried on food. A soft brush with cold soapy water will do next to nothing. ok we cant use hot water but we can take a little longer with the process.
So firstly i rotate and spread the solution liberally around record, (wince part) Now and ive done this many many times. I vigorously brush that record with the supplied brush - Im not gentle in any way.
Then i leave solution for a good few minutes because i think this soaking is gonna loosen anything stuck in the grooves.
Then i hoover, the final part is a rinse with just distilled water - this doesn't take long.
The record looks spotless when done and ive certainly not seen any visible issues due to vigorous brushing. If its a new record most of the time even the deadwax is silent,
Anyhow just wanted to share - wondered if anyone else is happy just to str8 brush forwards and reverse then hoover off.
I think it need a little more effort and defo a rinse - i always have a lot of residue on needle after first spin if not rinsed.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with distilled water and Tergitol 15-S-7 (2ml /gal), rinse with distilled water in a Spin Clean, then air dry in a rack. After that records I have cared for have no surface noise, and used records I have purchased have little to no surface noise.
BTW... I was able to obtain the LoC recommended Tergitol 15-S-7 through my work, but had to get in larger quantity than I will need for the foreseeable future. If anyone is interested I can offer 100ml for $25.

Just thought id discuss my cleaning method using Project VCS.
Some may wince....
I use the analogy of washing a dirty plate with dried on food. A soft brush with cold soapy water will do next to nothing. ok we cant use hot water but we can take a little longer with the process.
So firstly i rotate and spread the solution liberally around record, (wince part) Now and ive done this many many times. I vigorously brush that record with the supplied brush - Im not gentle in any way.
Then i leave solution for a good few minutes because i think this soaking is gonna loosen anything stuck in the grooves.
Then i hoover, the final part is a rinse with just distilled water - this doesn't take long.
The record looks spotless when done and ive certainly not seen any visible issues due to vigorous brushing. If its a new record most of the time even the deadwax is silent,
Anyhow just wanted to share - wondered if anyone else is happy just to str8 brush forwards and reverse then hoover off.
I think it need a little more effort and defo a rinse - i always have a lot of residue on needle after first spin if not rinsed.
New records I usually brush on TTVJ fluid, let sit 30 seconds, and vacuum off. No rinse step.

For dirtier records I’ll let it sit 3-5 minutes per side. The soak does help loosen things.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with distilled water and Tergitol 15-S-7 (2ml /gal), rinse with distilled water in a Spin Clean, then air dry in a rack. After that records I have cared for have no surface noise, and used records I have purchased have little to no surface noise.
BTW... I was able to obtain the LoC recommended Tergitol 15-S-7 through my work, but had to get in larger quantity than I will need for the foreseeable future. If anyone is interested I can offer 100ml for $25.
Once I get through this 300mL bottle of PhotoFlo that I’m using one drop at a time…

I finally bought the basic spin-clean type cleaner, have cleaned about 80 records now. I swear, the first record I played after cleaning (angel olsen - all mirrors) was louder than it was before. Could be a placebo effect.

I finally bought the basic spin-clean type cleaner, have cleaned about 80 records now. I swear, the first record I played after cleaning (angel olsen - all mirrors) was louder than it was before. Could be a placebo effect.
Had the same issue with the spin clean. Wasn’t a fan. My process kept introducing more noise and it caused more stress trying to figure out why than I desired.

Scrapped it and went for a Squeaky Clean and have seen much better results: Squeaky Clean Vinyl MK-III RCM 3D Printed Record Cleaner (Classic Black)

Had the same issue with the spin clean. Wasn’t a fan. My process kept introducing more noise and it caused more stress trying to figure out why than I desired.

Scrapped it and went for a Squeaky Clean and have seen much better results: Squeaky Clean Vinyl MK-III RCM 3D Printed Record Cleaner (Classic Black)
For that one, it sounded cleaner (no static) just I don't remember the record being so loud. I'll probably eventually get a squeaky clean or something similar; I just had no proper cleaning method at all before this. I mean, I'm still on a 90 dollar turntable!

For that one, it sounded cleaner (no static) just I don't remember the record being so loud. I'll probably eventually get a squeaky clean or something similar; I just had no proper cleaning method at all before this. I mean, I'm still on a 90 dollar turntable!
Oh yeah, the spin clean will get you to a better place for sure, especially on those noisy noisy ones. But those with the faintest of crackle, it may not scrub them entirely clean. And as someone with OCD, it drove me crazy. I'm also realizing that I got into the worst OCD hobby of all time. But I guess every hobby has their perfectionist qualities.

Oh yeah, the spin clean will get you to a better place for sure, especially on those noisy noisy ones. But those with the faintest of crackle, it may not scrub them entirely clean. And as someone with OCD, it drove me crazy. I'm also realizing that I got into the worst OCD hobby of all time. But I guess every hobby has their perfectionist qualities.
Oh yeah, my view of this hobby is slightly different: as I was cleaning the 70th record out of 80 I've clean so far, I thought "yep, I have a middle-aged hobby now..."

Back