Record cleaning - what's your method?

So I got this Delrin replacement tube and to the eye, the end doesn’t look any stronger than the standard tube. I guess I’ll find out.

Or, you might fully acknowledge the likely progression and save yourself a step by starting with a relatively inexpensive vacuum record cleaner. Two such possibilities (both of which require that you provide your own shop vac/vac) are:
1. Squeaky Clean Vinyl MK-III RCM 3D Printed Record Cleaner (Standard Black)
Advantage to this one is that you don't have to flip the record over to vacuum it. Requires that you buy a cheap shopvac
2. KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com
Possible advantage to this one is that you can use any vacuum because the unit is built in a way that prevents the liquid from reaching the vacuum. Downside (in my view) is that you have to flip the wet record to vacuum it.

Both are manual (you do all the work of spinning the record to clean it) and both work pretty well. I started with the KAB EV-1 and now have the Squeaky Clean, which I prefer. (Also have an order in for the kickstarter sonic cleaner, but that's another story ;).)
I’ve had the KAB for 15 years. Best $160-ish bucks I’ve spent on this hobby. All I’ve ever had to do for maintenance is replace the vac sweep every so often when it wears thin.

So I got this Delrin replacement tube and to the eye, the end doesn’t look any stronger than the standard tube. I guess I’ll find out.

I've had my VPI for 10 + years and still on the original tubes and felt. Never had any issues with them cracking yet. And I clean the felt regularly.

I finally used up my homebrew last week and started using the Chisto I made a while ago.

Seems to work just as well as my homebrew. Seems to have the same viscosity to the eye. The one thing that I did notice is that while it does suds up when scrubbing, the bubbles don't last as long and when the vac is sucking the suds aren't in the tube.

I've only done 2 or 3 records...and most were colored, so it's a bit harder to really see vs. a black record, but so far it's good stuff. And I have 1 gallon of the stuff made, with another gallon of distilled water ready for more.

I've had my VPI for 10 + years and still on the original tubes and felt. Never had any issues with them cracking yet. And I clean the felt regularly.
You’re lucky. I’ve had mine for about a month and the wand didn’t stay centered and started moving towards me and snap.

Stylus cleaning question...

I have a onzow zero dust but was wondering...do you all recommend any other stylus cleaning brush/fluid etc? Been having a ton of dust build up from construction and thinking it needs a good cleaning

I have a onzow zero dust but was wondering...do you all recommend any other stylus cleaning brush/fluid etc? Been having a ton of dust build up from construction and thinking it needs a good cleaning
I typically use one of those little stylus brushes first to loosen up the dust and then use the onzow.

I use an Onzow type before each session and as needed, then once a week I use MoFi LP-9 Stylus cleaner............make sure to check its ok to use a solvent cleaner on your stylus before going this route.

You can use fluids on MoFi, A/T, Nagaoka and Lyra cartridges. They all make wet stylus cleaners.
Use of fluids depends on you cart. See the post quoted above. I typically just use a brush after playing an LP. Onzow only rarely when too much crud build up.

Anyone use this brush with RCM:
Amazon product ASIN B082DPZDHJ
I use the provided Okki Nokki brush but noticed today some bristles were falling out and was thinking on more options.

Also question to any RCM/Okki Nokki users: when cleaning are you keeping the brush static and letting the rotating do the cleaning or are you kinda "scrubbing" as the record turns?

I use the provided Okki Nokki brush but noticed today some bristles were falling out and was thinking on more options.

Also question to any RCM/Okki Nokki users: when cleaning are you keeping the brush static and letting the rotating do the cleaning or are you kinda "scrubbing" as the record turns?
I've been quite happy using a brush like this (sans the fluid):
Amazon product ASIN B0154JSY68
That's not the exact one, but probably similar enough. Works great for records that aren't obviously very dirty (and probably would work fine for dirty records as well, but I reserve it for the cleaner stuff).

Also (true confessions), for records that are obviously dirty, I use one of these (sans the fluid):

I've never had any indication it's too abrasive, and in fact it is very soft to the touch, but there's more depth to the surface of the pad so to my thinking, greater deep-cleaning potential.

And I definitely work the brush (in all cases), in both directions, to assure I'm getting into the grooves. I don't apply a great deal of pressure, but I'm not relying on rotation alone to get the job done. YMMV I suspect there are as many different ways to approach this as there are people approaching it. The system I rely on now has evolved over the few years I've been using a vacuum cleaner, and I've reached a point where I'm finally convinced the cleaning makes a big difference.

Hi @Smansmith,

I had the same thing happen with my Okki Nokki brush, though I did read it's worse when new. However, I switched to the MoFi brush, which is made of a velvet-like material (seems like a type of microfiber). I like the amount of cleaner it soaks up and ergonomics are very good. Replacement pads are around $5?

I use the TTVJ Gold...squirt some on, turn the Okki Nokki to position 1, and spread with the MoFi brush with a light scrubbing. Let it sit for about 2 minutes, then vacuum for 3 rotations on position 2. TTVJ says scrubbing isn't necessary but I do it anyways.

Which innies and outies do you usually use?

Back