Record cleaning - what's your method?

Bit of a chicken and egg questions. When you get a new record that is in a paper sleeve, do you take it out of the sleeve and put it into a poly sleeve even if you have not had a chance to clean it yet? Or do you leave it as is, undisturbed until you can clean it and then place it nice and shiny in a poly sleeve?

Typically when I get new records I do a visual inspection (maybe a quick soft brush) and put it into a new poly sleeve. When I have about 6 or more records I then break out the squeaky clean and give them all a clean. But this week I got a new record that it looked like it was blasted with a confetti canon repeatedly. I was afraid to stick it into a poly sleeve because it was so covered in paper shrapnel. I ended up bringing out the squeaky clean just to clean the 1 record.

It just got me thinking. Is it better to leave it undisturbed for a few days in the paper sleeve or move it to a new clean poly even before you can vacuum clean it?
What @Kris said ;)

K, forget EVERYTHING in this thread or anywhere else you've gotten advice about cleaning your records, the miracle has arrived!!

Ignore ANY similarities to any common household items, this is the REAL DEAL!!

K, forget EVERYTHING in this thread or anywhere else you've gotten advice about cleaning your records, the miracle has arrived!!

I have some Gorilla Glue at home. I will give that a try on my original pressing of Moanin' that is a bit dirty :LOL:

Would my wife's exfoliating scrub be a better option? Ya know, really work it into the grooves and get a real deep clean...

ONO.jpg

Okki Nokki One arrived yesterday...hearing the vacuum IRL is not as bad I had imagined. I was worried about damage during shipping as it was delayed a couple of times in transit but all good - arrived triple boxed for protection with 360 air pillow! Now to get to solution testing over the next few weeks....

So, I haven't given up on getting me some Chisto Easy Groove concentrate after those in the know here say that it's both the shit and the tits but it' has not been easy.

Australia Post has a US-based mailing service called ShopMate which I've used on a few occasions for US sellers that don't ship internationally but the only problem is that they're expensive. My Vinyl Flat cost so much to send through them and I've barely used it.

I order from the store that rejected my first order and get it sent from LA to Seattle which took about a week and then another 5 days for ShopMate to contact me to say that it arrived. They said could not send it as it was classed a dangerous good and they wanted further info on it before proceeding with my order. They ask me for an MSDS (datasheet of product) of the item which I obliged them. Alfred from High End was on the ball and gets back to me the next day and I send it off.

4 days later (today) they reply to me saying the that the MSDS doesn't have an IATA regulation on it, confirming that it's safe for air transportation...which they never specified it needed, to begin with.

Anywang. Hopefully, I can get this sorted before my Humminguru arrives in July

So, I haven't given up on getting me some Chisto Easy Groove concentrate after those in the know here say that it's both the shit and the tits but it' has not been easy.

Australia Post has a US-based mailing service called ShopMate which I've used on a few occasions for US sellers that don't ship internationally but the only problem is that they're expensive. My Vinyl Flat cost so much to send through them and I've barely used it.

I order from the store that rejected my first order and get it sent from LA to Seattle which took about a week and then another 5 days for ShopMate to contact me to say that it arrived. They said could not send it as it was classed a dangerous good and they wanted further info on it before proceeding with my order. They ask me for an MSDS (datasheet of product) of the item which I obliged them. Alfred from High End was on the ball and gets back to me the next day and I send it off.

4 days later (today) they reply to me saying the that the MSDS doesn't have an IATA regulation on it, confirming that it's safe for air transportation...which they never specified it needed, to begin with.

Anywang. Hopefully, I can get this sorted before my Humminguru arrives in July
what are you using now ? the humminguru doesnt need any cleaning solution and id be careful with that until others reported back.

or maybe im reading this wrong and you want the christo for your current rcm ?

what are you using now ? the humminguru doesnt need any cleaning solution and id be careful with that until others reported back.

Also those fluids are expensive. You’re effectively using 350ml per record with the guru if not batch cleaning. That’s $$$. Also even if you are batch cleaning it’ll be filtered out which has to reduce the cleaners concentration in the water...

My current rcm is a Squeaky Clean, which is what I’m getting the the Chisto for. I wont be using that in the Humminguru though. I’ll just use distilled water.

I might end up doing a 2 step clean. First with the Squeaky Clean / detergent and then with the Humminguru / distilled water for a final rinse.

That might be a bit overkill but damn if it won’t be clean.

Apologies, stupid question. I take it folk that use Chisto just create a master solution in a gallon container, then decant a smaller amount in a handy bottle for day to day use?
I will probably use it the same way I do the TTVJ fluid, and just mix to order. Hurray for the metric system and a set of graduated cylinders.

Back