Record cleaning - what's your method?

👆 this 100%

The debates about cleaning are insane. Although I went the Squeaky Clean route, reading and research was enough to make me feel immobile, too. So I get you, @Believer101 .

IMO, the #1 rule is to just handle your damn records properly! I've adopted a bunch of my dad's records, and all he ever used was D4 fluid and a Discwasher brush. They sound and look fantastic because he handled with care.

I have a VPI that I got for a really cheap deal on Amazon awhile back. I use a combo of the MoFi Super Deep Cleaner and Super Record Wash. Was wondering though how long people leave on Super Deep Cleaner before vacuuming and using the wash? I have heard a lot of varying opinions on the matter but was wondering if anybody has a go-to method for it?

👆 this 100%

The debates about cleaning are insane. Although I went the Squeaky Clean route, reading and research was enough to make me feel immobile, too. So I get you, @Believer101 .

IMO, the #1 rule is to just handle your damn records properly! I've adopted a bunch of my dad's records, and all he ever used was D4 fluid and a Discwasher brush. They sound and look fantastic because he handled with care.

The best cleaning process in the market.

Still a Spin-Clean user here - haven't got the urge to upgrade just yet. Looking at all the grossness at the bottom of the tub after a session is very satisfying, haha...

Hunt EDA Mark 6 brush before playing. Stylus brush at the start of every spinning session.

Still a Spin-Clean user here - haven't got the urge to upgrade just yet. Looking at all the grossness at the bottom of the tub after a session is very satisfying, haha...

Hunt EDA Mark 6 brush before playing. Stylus brush at the start of every spinning session.

I love your video.

This is the one I am leaning towards getting. This video just confirms it for me.

Okki Nokki vacuum machine. I use Okki Nokki's own solution, mixed with purified water. Works a charm, I think. I replace the "lips" on the vacuum every once in a while. Always re-sleeve in Mofi inner sleeves.

I have a VPI that I got for a really cheap deal on Amazon awhile back. I use a combo of the MoFi Super Deep Cleaner and Super Record Wash. Was wondering though how long people leave on Super Deep Cleaner before vacuuming and using the wash? I have heard a lot of varying opinions on the matter but was wondering if anybody has a go-to method for it?

When I used it, I left it on for 3-5 minutes.

I use a VPI 16.5 and TTVJ extra strength as well.

For those that care (I do) both the Okki Nokki and Nitty Gritty Pure 2 cleaning fluids contain alcohol. I avoid it, but I'd use either before I didn't clean at all.

Interesting. Maybe I need to check for alternatives to the Okki solution. Not that many available locally here. TTVJ is available online perhaps?

So on a budget of $200 or less, and wanting to keep it self-contained (i.e. I don't want to have to go buy a shop vac - explaining that to the wife isn't worth the hassle) - what are the recommendations? Is a Record Doctor V worth the extra expense over a Spin Clean? Is there something else I should be looking at?

I should note that I'd ultimately like a Okki Nokki or similar, but dropping that type of cash isn't in the cards right now with my other vinyl needs.

Last edited:
So on a budget of $200 or less, and wanting to keep it self-contained (i.e. I don't want to have to go buy a shop vac - explaining that to the wife isn't worth the hassle) - what are the recommendations? Is a Record Doctor V worth the extra expense over a Spin Clean? Is there something else I should be looking at?

I should note that I'd ultimately like a Okki Nokki or similar, but dropping that type of cash isn't in the cards right now with my other vinyl needs.
You can get small shop vacs for $30 and under. They are really easy to explain. They can clean wet spills as well as stuff you’d rather not with your main vac like behind appliances, leaves, etc. etc. I mean, you could get the shop vac well ahead of the RCM and stealth that expense completely. Once you have a shop vac look at the squeaky clean system. Even with the vac it is in your budget.

Record Doctor V with TTVJ, mixed extra strength. I think I'm only about 20% through the TTVJ mix after 250-300 records. Absolutely zero issues or complaints.

Contemplated a DIY ultrasonic system for a time but I lost interest/couldn't find enough data to prove extra benefit vs. added cost and time.

How long have you had your Record Doctor V, mine is about a year old, it seems to work well, but I saw something recently about it potentially molding on the inside and it's not like I can open it up to check

I also bought a small spray bottle and I use that to get the cleaner on the record

Todd the Vinyl Junkie (TTVJAudio.com) is offering a rare sale this weekend, 15% OFF with code MemorialDay2019.

EDIT: Tested and working as of Sunday the 27th, it essentially works out to free shipping on a single bottle of the cleaning concentrate.

Hey @HiFi Guy with this code I can get a bottle of the TTVJ mix and a VPI 16.5 for $637.49. Free shipping isn't showing up but I'll call and see if they'll still give it to me. At that price should I pull the trigger or should I go with your dude?

Back