Record cleaning - what's your method?

VPI 16.5 question. I haven't gotten to use mine much (been away for work) but I'd like to clean both sides before plyaing. I tried this once and noticed that the side on the cork mat had a ton of what looked like paper scraps on it. I'm guessing from shipping. Should I just use a dry microfiber cloth to wipe the cork mat or is there some other voodoo I need to do so I can clean both sides of an album?

You can use a lint roller on the platter to remove any debris that may be on it.

I wipe records lightly with a microfiber cloth to get most paper dust before putting on the cleaner. After each session I also vacuum the cleaning mat.

does anyone have any experience with the Knosti Disc Antistat ? is there much difference to the spin clean ?

The switch went out on my VPI 16.5 again this afternoon when I was cleaning side 2 of the John Fahey album I played earlier.

Do I swap it out now or wait till I return from a trip to the in-laws next Saturday?

I may see what I can do with it tonight.

The switch went out on my VPI 16.5 again this afternoon when I was cleaning side 2 of the John Fahey album I played earlier.

Do I swap it out now or wait till I return from a trip to the in-laws next Saturday?

I may see what I can do with it tonight.

Swapped it out and it looks a bit too tall and narrower than the original switches.

It works and will get me by until I can get a replacement from VPI.

rreZyK.jpg

You want to keep it in a cool dark place definitely.

If it has a bit of buildup, can it start to act like plain water when you squirt it on the record? Because the last batch in my 1 liter bottle is doing that. There hasn't been an issue with it before but i did notice it acting a little different the last time i cleaned records but thought nothing of it but today when i started to clean it just puddled up and wouldn't spread.
I've kept mine in a closet in my room but it might have become too warm the past few weeks. I put the solution in the fridge for a bit to cool down. Maybe that'll work.

I keep my TTVJ in a gallon jug in my crawl space and then pour a little bit at a time into a similar semi clear bottle and never have much problems. But that bottle is also stored in my basement which is dark when I'm not down there.

I've had my batch stored well, but its a clear jug, so since i'll be ordering some TTVJ in the next week I grabbed this jug off Amazon....still storing in a cool dry place ;)

If it has a bit of buildup, can it start to act like plain water when you squirt it on the record? Because the last batch in my 1 liter bottle is doing that. There hasn't been an issue with it before but i did notice it acting a little different the last time i cleaned records but thought nothing of it but today when i started to clean it just puddled up and wouldn't spread.
I've kept mine in a closet in my room but it might have become too warm the past few weeks. I put the solution in the fridge for a bit to cool down. Maybe that'll work.
I've had that happen, but I don't think it's the solution, I think its the vinyl itself. I've noticed more on occasion with new albums than older ones. But it's not happening enough for me to think it's the solution.

I've had that happen, but I don't think it's the solution, I think its the vinyl itself. I've noticed more on occasion with new albums than older ones. But it's not happening enough for me to think it's the solution.

Todd at TTVJ said the same. I did try and wash the same record again the next day and it still did it but not quite as much. So i guess you just have to wash them like 10 times to remove whatever it is that's on the record haha

I always assumed it was because dust would help the fluid spread more evenly. On a dirty record the fluid has lots of dust particles to cling. On a clean record, it just runs in the grooves. Damn it’s been too long since I’ve studied fluid dynamics.

Anyone ever have some kind of buildup in the ttvj solution? View attachment 11802
I also find keeping a lid on it to limit air exposure helps as well, but light is probably the bigger issue.
I keep my TTVJ in a gallon jug in my crawl space and then pour a little bit at a time into a similar semi clear bottle and never have much problems. But that bottle is also stored in my basement which is dark when I'm not down there.
This is similar to what I do. Gallon stays in the laundry room behind stuff, and I probably only fill the squirt bottle about 1/3 of the way each time I fill it.

Does anyone have experience with the Okki Nokki or Project VS? Looking to get into record cleaning and they both have good reviews. Budget won't stretch to a VPI at the minute.

Does anyone have experience with the Okki Nokki or Project VS? Looking to get into record cleaning and they both have good reviews. Budget won't stretch to a VPI at the minute.

They both have advantages as well as disadvantages:

The ON footprint is much smaller. The Pro-Ject is HUGE.

The Pro-ject supports the record by the label area only. This way there is no possible contamination when the record is flipped- the now clean side never touches anything.

There is a dealer that will discount VPI, but you have to call him. He's awesome and some of us here have purchased from him. PM me if you want his info.

They both have advantages as well as disadvantages:

The ON footprint is much smaller. The Pro-Ject is HUGE.

The Pro-ject supports the record by the label area only. This way there is no possible contamination when the record is flipped- the now clean side never touches anything.

There is a dealer that will discount VPI, but you have to call him. He's awesome and some of us here have purchased from him. PM me if you want his info.
Thanks for the quick response.
The Project is going for around £300 at the minute. It's another £150 for the ON.
As with all kit, money dictates, but I can live with a sub £400 machine.

Looking at some long term planning... aka day dreaming. Does the VPI 16.5 sit comfortably on top of a Kallax unit? Is it still the top pic of the forum?

I'm also drawn to the Project VC-S because I like the no platter factor. That just makes sense to me. But a unit that works every time with ease is more important when I actually do make this investment.

Back