Record cleaning - what's your method?

Looking at some long term planning... aka day dreaming. Does the VPI 16.5 sit comfortably on top of a Kallax unit? Is it still the top pic of the forum?

I'm also drawn to the Project VC-S because I like the no platter factor. That just makes sense to me. But a unit that works every time with ease is more important when I actually do make this investment.
I actually looked at the VC-S when I started off. The two things I didn't like were the fact that the album only sat on the label, meaning, i was concerned with putting any pressure on the album with the brush for fear of bending, cracking the album. The other was the spout, while it works fine, having a longer tube to empty out the machine makes it a bit more convenient, you don't need to drag it to a tub or sink or using a bucket. The vacuum arm also seemed a little clunky and I was worried about accidentally scratching the album.

Just my thoughts, in principle it does the same thing as the VPI, I just preferred the few little things. And as for particles moving from the dirty side to the clean side on the cork mat, never had a problem with that, but I've also added THIS to the tool box to clean the platter really well every so often based on how much cleaning I've done.

Last edited:
Looking at some long term planning... aka day dreaming. Does the VPI 16.5 sit comfortably on top of a Kallax unit? Is it still the top pic of the forum?

I'm also drawn to the Project VC-S because I like the no platter factor. That just makes sense to me. But a unit that works every time with ease is more important when I actually do make this investment.

The VPI will sit on top of a Kellax, no problem. I wouldn't do it though with any RCM, in case if a leak.

Pro-Ject is introducing a whole new line of units. What is out now is discontinued.

So I'm foregoing buying in new records for getting in the cleaning game. I'm getting a record doctor V. What else do I need to get? I see people using file folder organizers as drying racks.

So I'm foregoing buying in new records for getting in the cleaning game. I'm getting a record doctor V. What else do I need to get? I see people using file folder organizers as drying racks.
You shouldn't need a drying rack with a vacuum solution. But you will need cleaning fluids. Several of us here enjoy TTVJ for solution.

Haha, I believe it’s mentioned earlier in the thread, but maybe it got lost when we moved here from the old forum.
TTVJ = Todd the Vinyl Junkie Zuma (enzyme cleaning fluid)
TTVJAudio Vinyl Zyme Record Cleaner 2 oz Concentrate

Don’t freak out about the price. That concentrate makes a gallon (or more) of solution to clean HUNDREDS of records.

That stuff must be powerful it its that concentrated!

That stuff must be powerful it its that concentrated!
I guess so. All I know is that I trust @HiFi Guy’s recommendations, and this stuff has been working well for me for a long time.
My batch is just running out after a little over 2 years, it does a great job....just follow the "Gremlin-ish" rules ;)

The brush sucks, so ditch that first, don't even let it touch the vinyl. There are plenty of good brush options out there. Personally I like the MoFi / Disc Doctor style for simple one-step cleaning. The MoFi ones are super easy to grab on Amazon, along with replacement pads. You may want to get a separate brush for newer cleaner records vs really dirty used ones, or just for different fluids if you get into multi-step cleaning.

One potential future mod is the upgraded bearing from KAB, but I would only bother if you know you're going to be going through a large volume of dirty records.

The RDV comes with a simple one-stop alcohol free cleaning solution. I would recommend starting with this to get the hang of the machine, even you want to move to nicer fluid later on, just get used to how much you need to lay down with the cheap stuff. Personally I really like the RD brand fluid, I've stuck to using it for two years now for all new pressings that I want to clean with one pass, and two passes for LPs that are older and dirtier. That said, there are obvious chemical benefits to enzymatic cleaners, and I may get back into them for dirtier stuff. Just one rule with the RDV — stick to cleaners that have a surfactant (don't use MoFi fluids) because this machine requires you to flip the LP before vacuuming. Without the surfactant, fluid will slide around a make more of a mess. Even for a rise stage I find it better to use a basic fluid with surfactant instead of distilled water.

Oh and get clean poly-sleeves for the records after cleaning, but you probably already knew that!

so @oldschoolkirby , @DeadwaxDude @brownsugah and maybe @Crabbers , you seem to be the spin cleaners on here.
any advice before using it the first time, other than not starting with the most valuable records. mine didnt come with a box or manual.
what are the dos and don`ts ?

thanks
Here's their instructions and manual download, to start at least: Instructions & Owner's Manual - Spin-Clean® Record Washers

It's really easy once you get used to it, but yeah, do your first trials on a non-valuable/non-favorite record. I stick pretty close to the instructions - wiping dry clockwise, then using a dish rack to let them finish air drying for a few minutes before re-sleeving. Don't worry about little droplets of water getting on the labels (doesn't happen often, but does happen) - just dry them with the cloth once you take it out.

Take care when doing 10" or 7" records - the rollers are a bit less stable in those slots and can "jump" out. I have to go slower and use one hand to turn the record, and the other to keep the opposite-side roller from jumping, usually.

Hmmm - if I think of any other tips I'll write back, but that's all I can think of for now.

so @oldschoolkirby , @DeadwaxDude @brownsugah and maybe @Crabbers , you seem to be the spin cleaners on here.
any advice before using it the first time, other than not starting with the most valuable records. mine didnt come with a box or manual.
what are the dos and don`ts ?

thanks

Basically what @oldschoolkirby said! Also, make sure you use distilled water (y)(y)if you're gonna wash the cleaning rags I say put them in the washer with hot water, high spin, and no detergents!

Here's their instructions and manual download, to start at least: Instructions & Owner's Manual - Spin-Clean® Record Washers

It's really easy once you get used to it, but yeah, do your first trials on a non-valuable/non-favorite record. I stick pretty close to the instructions - wiping dry clockwise, then using a dish rack to let them finish air drying for a few minutes before re-sleeving. Don't worry about little droplets of water getting on the labels (doesn't happen often, but does happen) - just dry them with the cloth once you take it out.

Take care when doing 10" or 7" records - the rollers are a bit less stable in those slots and can "jump" out. I have to go slower and use one hand to turn the record, and the other to keep the opposite-side roller from jumping, usually.

Hmmm - if I think of any other tips I'll write back, but that's all I can think of for now.
For that roller hop, try bringing your water line to where it just beeds into the roller slot....this helped when I had a Spin Clean ;)

Do be careful with water on the labels. Modern labels are fine. Older ones are not always waterproof, especially pre 1970. The ink will bleed...yes I found out the hard way.

Do be careful with water on the labels. Modern labels are fine. Older ones are not always waterproof, especially pre 1970. The ink will bleed...yes I found out the hard way.
Good to know! I've not experienced issues (and it's really quite rare the label gets wet anyway), but thanks for this note.

Back