Rank The Albums!

George Harrison

Not sure what came over me but I started listening to his solo albums over the past month. I read the reviews of the records after listening and it surprised me how much Dark Horse has been absolutely hated. I think the laryngitis voice fits the theme of the album

1. All Things Must Pass
2. Dark Horse
3. Cloud Nine
4. Brainwashed
5. Living In The Material World
6. George Harrison
7. Extra Texture
8. Thirty Three & 1/3
9. Gone Troppo
10. Somewhere In England
11. Wonderwall
12. Electric Sound

Tennis

There really isn't a Tennis album that I like the most by a significant margin. Cape Dory edges the others out slightly. You could make an argument for either of the top 4 as the best and I'd agree with it. Pollen needs a little bit more time but I'm liking it so far. Ritual in Repeat is the only album that I don't really care for of theirs.
  1. Cape Dory
  2. Young & Old
  3. Yours Conditionally
  4. Swimmer
  5. Pollen
  6. Ritual in Repeat
Cape Dory also belongs in https://www.needlesandgrooves.com/t...ever-can-be-cool-worst-album-art-thread.2196/

Spoon

1. They Want My Soul
2. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
3. Kill The Moonlight
4. Transference
5. Gimme Fiction
6. Girls Can Tell
7. Lucifer On The Sofa
8. Hot Thoughts
9. Telephono
10. A Series Of Sneaks

I am seeing Spoon at the end of April, and although I never considering myself a huge fan I think I am more than I thought I was.
I know all their albums pretty well, and go back to a lot of songs quite a bit. Hot Thoughts kinda disappointed me when it came out because TWMS was so good. So it’s pretty low here, but I’ve been returning to it lately and it might be significantly better than I remember. I thought they’d be a fun band live. And I’ve realized how consistent they actually are.

Spoon

1. They Want My Soul
2. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
3. Kill The Moonlight
4. Transference
5. Gimme Fiction
6. Girls Can Tell
7. Lucifer On The Sofa
8. Hot Thoughts
9. Telephono
10. A Series Of Sneaks

I am seeing Spoon at the end of April, and although I never considering myself a huge fan I think I am more than I thought I was.
I know all their albums pretty well, and go back to a lot of songs quite a bit. Hot Thoughts kinda disappointed me when it came out because TWMS was so good. So it’s pretty low here, but I’ve been returning to it lately and it might be significantly better than I remember. I thought they’d be a fun band live. And I’ve realized how consistent they actually are.
Here’s my Spoon rank since the release of Lucifer On The Sofa.

01. Kill The Moonlight*
02. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga*
03. Gimme Fiction*
04. Girls Can Tell*
05. Lucifer On The Sofa*
06. Soft Effects EP*
07. Transference
08. Series Of Sneaks*
09. They Want My Soul
10. Telephono
11. Hot Thoughts*

*Own on vinyl

One of the most consistent discographies in Indie Rock. The different between 1 and 11 is like A+ to a B-.

Spoon

1. They Want My Soul
2. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
3. Kill The Moonlight
4. Transference
5. Gimme Fiction
6. Girls Can Tell
7. Lucifer On The Sofa
8. Hot Thoughts
9. Telephono
10. A Series Of Sneaks

Spoon

1. They Want My Soul
2. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
3. Lucifer on the Sofa
4. Hot Thoughts
5. Girls Can Tell
6. Kill The Moonlight
7. Gimmie Fiction
8. Transference
9. Telephono
10. A Series of Sneaks

one of my favorite bands...been on them since college with Girls Can Tell...not only have they been one of the most consistent bands of the last two-plus decades, but I feel like on the whole they've largely been getting better with age, a very rare trait for our indie rock heroes.

here's a band that has really found it's core sound early...almost to a fault...if I plucked a deep cut off an early 00s Spoon album and asked was this off Girls Can Tell, Kill the Moonlight or Gimmie Fiction, I think all but the biggest Spoon fans would have difficulty placing the track

Gax5 was a big step forward...on the whole a bit darker, a bit blues-i-er, but with one big "Spoon" track in The Underdog. I thought Transference was a bit of a step back, especially in the context of what came next on their next three albums

TWMS for me kinda started a new era of Spoon albums...still with very "Spoon" tracks like Rent I Pay, but they really started playing more in the edges of their sound...like I feel like if you stripped Britt's voice out of Inside Out or New York Kiss, I don't think your brain would go immediately to Spoon

Hot Thoughts is probably their most "experimental"...to me it almost sounds like Beck sat in on production...and I really think a lot of the experimentation lands, like, I think WhisperI'lllistentohearit is one of the coolest and best Spoon songs and I really enjoy Pink Up and Shotgun, two of the odder tracks on the album.

maybe Lucifer will regress a bit with time for me...but are you kidding? a Bill Callahan cover? as track one?!?! who does that? who leads their 10th album with a cover, and a fantastic one at that?!

Here’s my Sonic Youth rank again, I doubt it’s the same as my last time through.

01. Daydream Nation*
02. Goo*
03. Sister*
04. Murray Street*
05. Dirty*
06. Washing Machine*
07. Sonic Nurse*
08. EVOL*
09. Rather Ripped*
10. Bad Moon Rising*
11. Experimental Jet Set*
12. A Thousand Leaves
13. The Eternal*
14. NYC Ghosts and Flowers
15. Confusion Is Sex
16. Sonic Youth
17. Whitey Album

*own on vinyl.
Somewhat related, r/SonicYouth just did a user elimination poll and the last album standing was Daydream Nation.

01. Daydream Nation
02. Sister
03. Washing Machine
04. Goo
05. Dirty
06. EVOL
07. Murray Street
08. Sonic Nurse
09. Bad Moon Rising
10. A Thousand Leaved
11. Rather Ripped
12. Confusion Is Sex
13. Experimental Jet Set…
14. The Eternal
15. Sonic Youth
16. NYC Ghosts and Flowers

Let's rank some Korn.

14. Remember Who You Are
13. Untitled
12. The Path of Totality
11. See You on the Other Side
10. Life is Peachy
9. The Serenity of Suffering
8. The Paradigm Shift
7. Take a Look in the Mirror
6. Untouchables
5. Issues
4. Requiem
3. The Nothing
2. Follow the Leader
1. Korn

@LeeVing get in on this

FOURTEEN?!?!!!!
Wow, I'm out of touch! 🤣

Let's rank some Korn.

14. Remember Who You Are
13. Untitled
12. The Path of Totality
10. Life is Peachy
8. The Paradigm Shift
6. Untouchables
5. Issues
4. Requiem
3. The Nothing
2. Follow the Leader
1. Korn

@LeeVing get in on this
I wasn’t aware Korn had released over a dozen albums or that they had 9 better than Life Is Peachy which is one of only three Korn albums that I am familiar with.

FOURTEEN?!?!!!!
Wow, I'm out of touch! 🤣
I totally lost touch with them after their guitarist Head left in 2003, then picked them back up when he returned a decade later. I'd recommend checking out their latest Requiem, as it is a very consumable 32-ish minute album with no filler. If you like that one, work backwards from there until you hit the familiar stuff. Admittedly, they were lost without Head and the decline of nu-metal, but they stuck it out and I feel they've caught their 2nd wind.

I wasn’t aware Korn had released over a dozen albums or that they had 9 better than Life Is Peachy which is one of only three Korn albums that I am familiar with.
I could throw on their top 7 with no complaints, but their bottom 7 can be a slog at times. Life is Peachy is kind of the 'One Hot Minute' of their catalog. Feels random within the context of where they were and where they ended up going. Good for the occasional track though.

Let's rank some Korn.

14. Remember Who You Are
13. Untitled
12. The Path of Totality
10. Life is Peachy
8. The Paradigm Shift
6. Untouchables
5. Issues
4. Requiem
3. The Nothing
2. Follow the Leader
1. Korn

@LeeVing get in on this

I'll get in on this after I get some sleep - and have time at work to think about it some....but I think I agree with your list - more or less.

I totally lost touch with them after their guitarist Head left in 2003, then picked them back up when he returned a decade later. I'd recommend checking out their latest Requiem, as it is a very consumable 32-ish minute album with no filler. If you like that one, work backwards from there until you hit the familiar stuff. Admittedly, they were lost without Head and the decline of nu-metal, but they stuck it out and I feel they've caught their 2nd wind.
I owned their first 3 on CD back in high school but I can’t say I’ve had much desire to go back an revisit any of them.

I owned their first 3 on CD back in high school but I can’t say I’ve had much desire to go back an revisit any of them.
The nostalgia aspect is definitely what first brought me back. But then tracks started to click like they used to, and in an unironic fashion. So that kept me hanging around. Never Never from The Paradigm Shift and You'll Never Find Me from The Nothing are two examples that come to me.

Which one is the dubstep one? 🫣

Let's rank some Korn.

14. Remember Who You Are
13. Untitled
12. The Path of Totality
10. Life is Peachy
8. The Paradigm Shift
6. Untouchables
5. Issues
4. Requiem
3. The Nothing
2. Follow the Leader
1. Korn

@LeeVing get in on this
Swap three and six and I think I'd be pretty close to the rest of this.

Back