R.I.P. VMP Forum

Did Storf really attack Clapton and Richards?
Page 7 of the booklet. "White monarchists" - yep, I'd say he did.
Clapton’s always been on shaky ground after his comments in support of Enoch Powell back in the 70s.

This makes me crazy on glossy jackets.........holding them by the edge and getting them in a sleeve ASAP is the only goal, lol
They are also too thick. It makes putting the record in them too difficult. VMP has a strange obsession with weight (for both jackets and records) and think heavier -> better for all things.

They are also too thick. It makes putting the record in them too difficult. VMP has a strange obsession with weight (for both jackets and records) and think heavier -> better for all things.
Well, hipster marketing translates to sales, not necessarily quality or ease of use.

The term "white Monarchists" really shouldn't be this controversial. Guys like Clapton and Richards got rich and famous appropriating black blues music for white audiences and are wrongly held up as blues torchbearers while people like Buddy Guy were killing it in the same era. That's the point. That doesn't mean Clapton and The Stones weren't great and that you can't like them. But the way people talk about them can be wrong.

The term "white Monarchists" really shouldn't be this controversial. Guys like Clapton and Richards got rich and famous appropriating black blues music for white audiences and are wrongly held up as blues torchbearers while people like Buddy Guy were killing it in the same era. That's the point. That doesn't mean Clapton and The Stones weren't great and that you can't like them. But the way people talk about them can be wrong.
In this context, is “Monarchist” even a loaded term, or is it being used as a synonym for British? I sort of thought the latter; the phrase doesn’t connote a belief in the monarchy of whiteness, but does specify the whiteness of these particular monarchists. It has some implications by contrast to the non-monarchist artists in the genre, but I didn’t see it as inherently pejorative (this is my first post-cancellation month, so I can’t read it for myself to get a better sense of what Storf was saying).

In this context, is “Monarchist” even a loaded term, or is it being used as a synonym for British? I sort of thought the latter; the phrase doesn’t connote a belief in the monarchy of whiteness, but does specify the whiteness of these particular monarchists. It has some implications by contrast to the non-monarchist artists in the genre, but I didn’t see it as inherently pejorative (this is my first post-cancellation month, so I can’t read it for myself to get a better sense of what Storf was saying).

I read it as White-Brits taking on a Black-American art form

I just checked out the subreddit for the first time...lots of people really quick to latch onto complaints, push their glasses up their nose, and point out "you're complaining but I bet you're still giving this business money."
Yeah it's pretty bad. The guess threads a joke and the mods get pissy if you criticize them.

Back