Pre-Order Thread

I appreciate the feedback. I don't appreciate you calling me a label in quotes, because I have released two records traditionally through Gotta Groove at this point, so I am indeed a label whether you like it or not. Condescension is not a kind look.

I did the King Gizzard release mostly for fans of my channel. I've been spreading the love about KG since Nonagon and I've turned a LOT of people in my FB group onto them. The release didn't shoot through the moon, I just took the demos and put them in an order that I thought made a fun full listen and someone in my group wanted to do custom art for it, so I let him, and I think it came out beautifully. I think you're overestimating how much "profit" comes from QRATES too, unless you're Chilled Cow or Vulfpeck putting out 2000+ copies, QRATES takes the majority of the cut, and as for my label -- most if not all of the profit goes to the artist. A few of them have offered to share some with me, but that's their decision.
Sorry for the condescension, but when you are dealing with someone else’s work that you aren’t working directly with them on, I think a higher level of integrity should be considered, hence the criticism.

edit: @djdavedk beat me to it

I have no stake in this discussion but just want to say that "limited to 100" does imply a maximum quantity of 100, whether or not you add the word "only" in front. In fact, a crowdfunding effort that requires 100 orders to succeed is the opposite of a "limit," it is a "minimum."

I am not trying to be snarky but just making this crystal clear, since apparently it is a point that has been brought to your attention by several customers over the course of many months that you still refuse to concede on. I wish you best of luck in continuing to improve and learn with your new business, for what it's worth.

Example definitions of the word limit:
  1. a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass;

2. a restriction on the size or amount of something permissible or possible.

I asked the above user to show me where I have been saying "limited to 100" on releases after the Supasonic one. I remembered that feedback and took it to heart. For example:

"The 7th vinyl record on the Too Many Records label is up for pre-order TODAY. We need 100 copies to make it happen. "

That was in the description of my 7th release's announcement video. I feel like I'm being lambasted for something that happened almost a year ago, and that I've fixed.

Furthermore, worth mentioning is that even if it were a blatant marketing tactic to sell copies, the profit is going to the artist. More copies = more people can get ahold of the music = more money for the artist. Are you buying the record to support the artist or to have a rare collectible? This whole argument is just confusing to me.

Sorry for the condescension, but when you are dealing with someone else’s work that you aren’t working directly with them on, I think a higher level of integrity should be considered, hence the criticism.

But... this is a bootlegger thing that KG did. They gave everyone the material and told them to go nuts, do whatever they wanted with it. There were literally no rules other than "send us a few copies" which all of my profit from the release went to.

But... this is a bootlegger thing that KG did. They gave everyone the material and told them to go nuts, do whatever they wanted with it. There were literally no rules other than "send us a few copies" which all of my profit from the release went to.
Dude, you are saying you didn’t make a significant profit from selling 217 copies? Qrates base rate that they take is 15%, unless the information on the website is false. I know its extra for splatter, but that much? The integrity comes into question when you add on that you charged $32 dollars for a single LP release on Qrates, with an edited tracklist, for the same price people are charging for the whole shebang, both volumes.

Dude, you are saying you didn’t make a significant profit from selling 217 copies? Qrates base rate that they take is 15%, unless the information on the website is false. I know its extra for splatter, but that much? The integrity comes into question when you add on that you charged $32 dollars for a single LP release on Qrates, with an edited tracklist, for the same price people are charging for the whole shebang, both volumes.

I encourage you to sign up for their site and create a project with similar specs. You don't need to publish anything. It might be eye opening once you see all the fees and costs. I set it at 100 copies to guarantee it got made, and $32 was the MINIMUM I could charge at that quantity level. Like I said, this was mostly a fun one just for my fans.

I encourage you to sign up for their site and create a project with similar specs. You don't need to publish anything. It might be eye opening once you see all the fees and costs. I set it at 100 copies to guarantee it got made, and $32 was the MINIMUM I could charge at that quantity level. Like I said, this was mostly a fun one just for my fans.
😓 you are making me do math, but Qrates says on the designer, 200 copies, 2 color splatter, are $2108. $32 x 200 = $6400. $6400 - $2108 = $4292.

😓 you are making me do math, but Qrates says on the designer, 200 copies, 2 color splatter, are $2108. $32 x 200 = $6400. $6400 - $2108 = $4292.

I had mine set to 100 copies, though. I assure you, the cut qrates takes plus the cost of all the factors of the pressing leaves very little profit unless there's a huge oversell. Either way though, this argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me still. There were like six thousand King Gizzard projects across many labels, if you weren't a fan of mine, no one is forcing you to pay attention to it? Even if I made fifty thousand dollars somehow from my release, why would you take issue with that? King Gizzard wouldn't, as long as I sent them the requisite copies.

I had mine set to 100 copies, though. I assure you, the cut qrates takes plus the cost of all the factors of the pressing leaves very little profit unless there's a huge oversell. Either way though, this argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me still. There were like six thousand King Gizzard projects across many labels, if you weren't a fan of mine, no one is forcing you to pay attention to it? Even if I made fifty thousand dollars somehow from my release, why would you take issue with that? King Gizzard wouldn't, as long as I sent them the requisite copies.
You are highly exaggerating the amount of projects that were up, as well as how many even got supported. I am trying to come at this factually and you don’t seem to be.You want to know why I paid attention to it? Because you showed up in feeds that I follow promoting it....

You are highly exaggerating the amount of projects that were up, as well as how many even got supported. I am trying to come at this factually and you don’t seem to be.You want to know why I paid attention to it? Because you showed up in feeds that I follow promoting it......

I'm talking across the internet, brother. Just about every small label I follow had their own versions. This whole argument reeks of you just simply don't like me. Which is FINE. But this argument is exhausting and cluttering up the thread so if you have more issues, feel free to DM me.

I said my piece on the other page about the other criticisms.

tenor.gif

"The 7th vinyl record on the Too Many Records label is up for pre-order TODAY. We need 100 copies to make it happen. "

That was in the description of my 7th release's announcement video. I feel like I'm being lambasted for something that happened almost a year ago, and that I've fixed.
Well that new disclaimer is much more clear. All that I was going off of for my comment was your post from earlier today, which I quoted. Thanks for the reply I'm out.

Feel free to tell me to F-off, but there are at least 3 total pages of a Pre-Order forum devoted to something that, as far as I can tell, is completely unrelated (I'm including the posts from yesterday, before TMR replied today).
Innocent bystanders just gliding through this thread snatching up preorders until they get to page 1220

8A008379-F674-432E-AD98-791564C09B67.gif

Hey all.

I know this is the pre-order thread but there are some posts talking about my label's releases (and me as a human) and I felt the need to share some thoughts.

1) The Reddit thing. I think the reality of the situation has been a bit distorted. There was a guy who was in two of my threads about two separate releases that I did Wax Mage records for getting mad at me for my solution to "all the bots get the wax mage" that most drops end up being. Is it a perfect solution? Nah. Has anyone else complained? Also no. If someone has a better idea, I'm all ears, but so far no one has had one. No one has to buy two copies of the record, if someone wanted to only buy the WM and not have their standard, that has always been an option and maybe I should have been more forthcoming about that. I didn't "doxx" anyone, I clicked the guy's profile and saw his most recent post was mocking someone else, so I figured out what kind of person that guy was (not someone looking to build me up, but someone looking to just break me down). That said, it was unprofessional of me and I shouldn’t have done it. I try to not let things get to me but I’m human and sometimes my emotions get the best of me.

2) My marketing of "limited to 100" is not as explicitly offensive as some of you are making it out to be, but I'm now seeing in hindsight how it can be confusing. I never have once said "ONLY LIMITED TO 100", rather that it's limited to 100 -- and if it goes over in the time frame, it goes over. That's how QRATES works, it's a crowdfunding site, and I didn't think I had to explain that. Now I'm learning that maybe I should explain that more. If anyone thought there would only be 100 records, and were mad it hit a higher number, they can always ask for a refund. No one is ever locked in to something they can't get out of.

Ultimately I love music, and it has been one of my greatest joys being able to help facilitate these albums being pressed so we can all enjoy them. Am I doing it perfectly? Probably not. I’m new to this world and open to feedback.

If anyone has any issues with me or my label, I'm always open to constructive criticism and discussion. We can all continue to improve, and that's something that I try to do on a regular basis. And if I’m just not your cup of tea and you don’t like me, that’s okay too! But please remember I’m a real person and a real member of this community. Thanks.
Long time lurker here and fan of your channel. There will always be negative people looking to criticize no matter what you do. I think what you're doing with the label is rad. A lot of people never take the time to actually create something themselves and instead get off being keyboard warriors crapping on those who are out there trying to do something. I've picked up a couple of your pressings myself and they sound fantastic. Keep doing what you're doing and try not to let the haters get to you too much, you can't please everyone.

I'm talking across the internet, brother. Just about every small label I follow had their own versions. This whole argument reeks of you just simply don't like me. Which is FINE. But this argument is exhausting and cluttering up the thread so if you have more issues, feel free to DM me.

I said my piece on the other page about the other criticisms.
I agree it’s exhausting, I would definitely look to other labels for examples to follow, because from the perspective of someone who supports tons of small labels who do a ton to get their release out, your release came across as a huge cash grab. Peace ✌️

Back