Pre-Order Thread

If I'm not mistaken, that's the same release I am getting flak for in this thread. Can you show me where, since then, I've insinuated that things are limited to a specific number and no more?
The issue back in May 2020 was for TMR-6 Supasonic. I haven’t kept tabs on the TMR releases after that one since it left a bad taste in my mouth.

The issue back in May 2020 was for TMR-6 Supasonic. I haven’t kept tabs on the TMR releases after that once since it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Right. And as far as I know I took the advice of everyone for my future releases. You responded to my message as if I was continuing to perpetuate a problem and now you're saying you haven't been following so I'm just confused is all!

Right. And as far as I know I took the advice of everyone for my future releases. You responded to my message as if I was continuing to perpetuate a problem and now you're saying you haven't been following so I'm just confused is all!
So, you’re saying that you are being called out in Feb 2021 for misleading marketing on TMR-6 from May of 2020 or is the issue now about the recent TMR-10?

So, you’re saying that you are being called out in Feb 2021 for misleading marketing on TMR-6 from May of 2020 or is the issue now about the recent TMR-10?

From what I can tell, people took issue with me saying there were 100 copies when it could go over. I've tried to be more explicit about how QRATES works since then.

TMR-10 is a totally different thing... it's not through QRATES, and it DOES have a finite amount of copies. I'm really not sure what you're getting at and I'm trying to understand if this is just an unwinnable battle or if I'm really at fault for something here.

From what I can tell, people took issue with me saying there were 100 copies when it could go over. I've tried to be more explicit about how QRATES works since then.

TMR-10 is a totally different thing... it's not through QRATES, and it DOES have a finite amount of copies. I'm really not sure what you're getting at and I'm trying to understand if this is just an unwinnable battle or if I'm really at fault for something here.
While we are here. I have an issue with how you approached your “labels” release of King Gizzards Demos. You blatantly created an easy product on your computer at the same price point that people, who are actually considered a label ie. they source the pressing, pack the records, etc , are releasing theirs. If you are a “collector”, what benefits does your release bring other than to turn you a profit? Just my thoughts as a person who buys too many records, who you should understand.

All jokes aside @toomanyrecords, that Melancholy Hopeful release looks nice and I'll probably end up picking it up. Do you have any other info surrounding your collab with Marcus D? How did you link up with him, did you chat with him about what he wanted out of this pressing, etc...

While we are here. I have an issue with how you approached your “labels” release of King Gizzards Demos. You blatantly created an easy product on your computer at the same price point that people, who are actually considered a label ie. they source the pressing, pack the records, etc , are releasing theirs. If you are a “collector”, what benefits does your release bring other than to turn you a profit? Just my thoughts as a person who buys too many records, who you should understand.
I forgot to mention, you butchered the tracklist at $32 before shipping....

Last edited:
Doesn't "limited to 100" normally mean limited to 100?
Or am I just bad at modern English?

Maybe "a minimum of 100" is more accurate. I think when people/companies deal in limited editions, and all that entails (supply/demand/price), they should be honest about the runs. I'm sure most labels overrun to allow for quality control and replacements, but then it's not really an edition of 1,000 or 2,000 if the other are let out without taking back the bad ones.

Not really chiming in on any other aspects of specific labels or people here - just as a record collector and buyer.

I think I’m confused myself, I read recent posts about misleading pressing numbers and thought the issues from TMR-6 were still happening. I didn’t realize that the “limited to 100” ploy was no longer being utilized. I don’t think Qrates system is hard to understand but being upfront with something like this would help.

“The project goal is 100 copies. Once our goal is met the project will be open to additional orders and will be time limited until xx/xx/xxxx.”

Last edited:
I never have once said "ONLY LIMITED TO 100", rather that it's limited to 100 -- and if it goes over in the time frame, it goes over. That's how QRATES works
edit: @djdavedk beat me to it

I have no stake in this discussion but just want to say that "limited to 100" does imply a maximum quantity of 100, whether or not you add the word "only" in front. In fact, a crowdfunding effort that requires 100 orders to succeed is the opposite of a "limit," it is a "minimum."

I am not trying to be snarky but just making this crystal clear, since apparently it is a point that has been brought to your attention by several customers over the course of many months that you still refuse to concede on. I wish you best of luck in continuing to improve and learn with your new business, for what it's worth.

Example definitions of the word limit:
  1. a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass;

2. a restriction on the size or amount of something permissible or possible.

I appreciate the feedback. I don't appreciate you calling me a label in quotes, because I have released two records traditionally through Gotta Groove at this point, so I am indeed a label whether you like it or not. Condescension is not a kind look.

I did the King Gizzard release mostly for fans of my channel. I've been spreading the love about KG since Nonagon and I've turned a LOT of people in my FB group onto them. The release didn't shoot through the moon, I just took the demos and put them in an order that I thought made a fun full listen and someone in my group wanted to do custom art for it, so I let him, and I think it came out beautifully. I think you're overestimating how much "profit" comes from QRATES too, unless you're Chilled Cow or Vulfpeck putting out 2000+ copies, QRATES takes the majority of the cut, and as for my label -- most if not all of the profit goes to the artist. A few of them have offered to share some with me, but that's their decision.

All jokes aside @toomanyrecords, that Melancholy Hopeful release looks nice and I'll probably end up picking it up. Do you have any other info surrounding your collab with Marcus D? How did you link up with him, did you chat with him about what he wanted out of this pressing, etc...

Thank you!! There aren't many copies left so I wouldn't dally TOO long (not marketing, just being honest!)

I've been a fan of Marcus D for years and years, and when I saw MH was never on vinyl, I reached out to him. We had a ZOOM call and I pitched him on the release, my ideas for it, and my label thus far and he told me he was 100% in. We are coordinating every step of the way on every aspect of the release, from my announcement video to the variant I proposed to the jacket type to the marketing, and he's fantastic to work with. He said the response so far has blown him away, so I'm chalking this up to a success :)

Thank you!! There aren't many copies left so I wouldn't dally TOO long (not marketing, just being honest!)

I've been a fan of Marcus D for years and years, and when I saw MH was never on vinyl, I reached out to him. We had a ZOOM call and I pitched him on the release, my ideas for it, and my label thus far and he told me he was 100% in. We are coordinating every step of the way on every aspect of the release, from my announcement video to the variant I proposed to the jacket type to the marketing, and he's fantastic to work with. He said the response so far has blown him away, so I'm chalking this up to a success :)
Cool man. I would have never found him otherwise and I love Nujabes stuff so that’s right up my alley.

Back