Pre-Order Thread

These multi-color variant roll outs are such a crappy product release strategy from a consumer POV.

Ideally, the artist should announce all the available versions upfront and when they'll be released.

Instead we're left in the dark feeling like idiots for buying releases that came out a week prior and forced to haggle with customer service departments for refunds. And in this Fiona Apple case it (unfairly but still does) leave a bad taste in my mouth about both the artist and the album.

I also think that with the glut and ubiquity of variants, I'm inclined to think their future value will be moot and the only incentive is truly aesthetic taste, which today I've crossed the threshold of no longer giving a shit about.

/Rant over

Last edited:
I didn’t cut mine...the sticker peels off and reseals back on the plastic
OK - so am I supposed to;

1) Remove the 'NEW ABNORMAL" decal so the record plastic opens

or

2) Open the top of the record (sticky) and remove it that way?

I've watched a few unboxing videos and people do it both ways. Weird as F!

OK - so am I supposed to;

1) Remove the 'NEW ABNORMAL" decal so the record plastic opens

or

2) Open the top of the record (sticky) and remove it that way?

I've watched a few unboxing videos and people do it both ways. Weird as F!
I peeled the decal away a lil bit...grabbed record then I just stuck record on outside of the original cover and placed my outer sleeves over the whole thing

Looks like Zia is teasing a Big Star exclusive for this Friday:

I’ll be curious to see which version they got plates for. The Craft all-analog version that came out late last year sound great, but there’s a lot of mediocre versions floating around too.

Fiona exclusive is available for non-members if you purchase through the magazine site article FYI

This works for me too in Canada. It gives you a number of options to select for shipping. I wonder if they will change it afterwards to say I'm not a club member and charge me more? I don't want that. Even with exchange, I'm still looking at $48. Need to find a less expensive version for Canada.

These multi-color variant roll outs are such a crappy product release strategy from a consumer POV.

Ideally, the artist should announce all the available versions upfront and when they'll be released.

Instead we're left in the dark feeling like idiots for buying releases that came out a week prior and forced to haggle with customer service departments for refunds. And in this Fiona Apple case it (unfairly but still does) leave a bad taste in my mouth about both the artist and the album.

I also think that with the glut and ubiquity of variants, I'm inclined to think their future value will be moot and the only incentive is truly aesthetic taste, which today I've crossed the threshold of no longer giving a shit about.

/Rant over

I hear you, and these are valid points and justified frustration. I'm down with transparency on the roll out process.

That said, part of me had to chuckle and think this is was a very intentional move. Fiona the trickster. Knowing how hard it has been in the past to secure the vinyl of her albums - which have all been pressed on black without color variants (I believe) - she knew fans would immediately purchase the black version from her store (before the variants were released). Upshot - given potential fidelity issues with color vinyl, fans secure the best sounding version of her album, in theory at least. I have to think this is intentional, and it doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, but makes me think she is as nimble as ever. My take has a lot of conjecture about it, but it feels plausible, and I was happy to purchase the black vinyl and keep that as my only order. Don't get me wrong, I like variants too, but after reflecting on it, I had myself a solid chortle.

This is a cool project up for preorder. It's an electronic project made with Bird call from Mexico, Central and South America. All profits will be donated to places that help conserve all this wildlife and habitats. I myself grabbed the vinyl and a one of several prints of birds(Black Catbird here).

Also on May 1st they will re-release the first volume of this project(this is the second one). If you want to wait till the 1st on the no fee Bandcamp day.

Back