Pre-Order Thread

As a huge Deadhead myself and a vinyl aficionado, I have to agree that not all of their stuff is best on wax. Take this Dick's Picks, in my opinion it is in the bottom half of original Dick's Picks in terms of quality and two songs are cut up (Dark Star and Lovelight) and split between sides. Its not bad per se, its really good. But there's much better readily available.

If you want this era Dead on vinyl, get one of the Fillmore West '69 shows (the pinkish and green boxes, 2/27 and 2/28). Both are better shows than these from April 69 and are cheaper right now. 2/28 is in stock a number of places and is a monster show.

I wish they would specifically pick shows that fit well on vinyl. I have no clue as to why Real Gone is jumping around shows (They've released Dick's Picks 34, 24, and now 26; 1-6 and 8 were done by Brookvale). Shows that make sense are out there and I could easily pick shows that have been released on CD that would make good releases. But there is too much of a fad to throw it on wax to make a few bucks without thinking about the end product.

Vinyl isn't the best way to experience a lot of these full shows and this release makes little sense to me. I'd definitelygo the digital/CD route and get vinyl for the periodic releases that make sense (and the original studio/live albums). There are great ways to get into the Dead on vinyl, but the Anthology or this set are not it.
Shoot, I’m not familiar with the Dead at all (save the radio songs), but decided to purchase this cold. Now I’m not sure this was the best decision.

If you want this era Dead on vinyl, get one of the Fillmore West '69 shows (the pinkish and green boxes, 2/27 and 2/28). Both are better shows than these from April 69 and are cheaper right now. 2/28 is in stock a number of places and is a monster show.

I would agree that these are better shows

Shoot, I’m not familiar with the Dead at all (save the radio songs), but decided to purchase this cold. Now I’m not sure this was the best decision.
I don't think you will regret it if you like this era Dead, its not a bad show by any means. Its just not an optimal format or pick, but I hope you still enjoy it!

I don't think you will regret it if you like this era Dead, its not a bad show by any means. Its just not an optimal format or pick, but I hope you still enjoy it!
That’s the thing, idk if I like this era of the Dead or not. As much as I know about music, I know next to nothing about them

As a huge Deadhead myself and a vinyl aficionado, I have to agree that not all of their stuff is best on wax. Take this Dick's Picks, in my opinion it is in the bottom half of original Dick's Picks in terms of quality and two songs are cut up (Dark Star and Lovelight) and split between sides. Its not bad per se, its really good. But there's much better readily available.

I wish they would specifically pick shows that fit well on vinyl. I have no clue as to why Real Gone is jumping around shows (They've released Dick's Picks 34, 24, and now 26; 1-6 and 8 were done by Brookvale). Shows that make sense are out there and I could easily pick shows that have been released on CD that would make good releases. But there is too much of a fad to throw it on wax to make a few bucks without thinking about the end product.

Vinyl isn't the best way to experience a lot of these full shows and this release makes little sense to me. I'd definitelygo the digital/CD route and get vinyl for the periodic releases that make sense (and the original studio/live albums). There are great ways to get into the Dead on vinyl, but the Anthology or this set are not it.
I’m with you, man. Love my Dead vinyl, but it’s frustrating have cut up jams or lose the flow of a well-played segue because you have to flip. I own a CD player strictly to play my Dead cds—I’m a sucker for the box sets/Dick’s/Dave’s—and evening that can be a little frustrating

That’s the thing, idk if I like this era of the Dead or not. As much as I know about music, I know next to nothing about them
I would definitely give a few listens. The Internet Archive is your friend. You can listen to complete shows, either soundboard or audience tapes, for free online. Just Google the show date, so "4/26/69 grateful dead" for example and it will pull up sources from that show that you can stream, no strings attached.

Yes. The Dead. Aways in style. All good. Can be an acquired taste but worth the effort. Both formats are equally worthy to collect and enjoy. Debating the finer points of the very deep well that is the Grateful Dead is just part of the fun.

No one should let the passion of Dead fans stop them from jumping in. I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of the Dead. A lot of you guys can run circles around me debating individual shows, eras, or song versions.

This release is as good a place to start as any and it looks like a nice box. Looking forward to adding it to the collection.

Last edited:
I think it’s a cool set and again I am biased but I love this release.

You get a 2 night run
Tapes sound great
Winter/Spring 69. Phish are better known for the tension and release jams but you get some real nice builds in this set
The aforementioned Dark Star, St Stephen, Eleven
You get that whole Rag and Dupree part of the Chicago show.

Shatner on vinyl. I want a 7” of common people, not sure about the whole album though

HOLY SHIT THIS HAS BEEN A DREAM FOR ME
The whole album is great, everybody should check it

Got an email from Young God Records, Michael Gira is re-releasing Swans - Children of God on vinyl this fall!

Got an email from Young God Records, Michael Gira is re-releasing Swans - Children of God on vinyl this fall!
Such a good album and the first Swans album I ever listened to. Been waiting for a reissue for ages.

Side note to the Dead related talk:

1. I finally got a CD copy of Sunshine Daydream and it has a dvd of the full show which rules

2. I’m really enjoying the Dead podcast 36 From The Vault - which is basically all about Dick’s Picks
A great DVD from one of the best shows they ever played. Plus who doesn’t love naked pole man.

Big fan of the pod and Stephen Hyde’s. I highly recommend all his books and the celebration rock (there is an episode on the dead) and rivalry podcast he does

Back