Pre-Order Thread

View attachment 105831

1626452717895.png

1626452745759.png

Cross post from the Christian Music thread. For those unfamiliar with the front man, Michael Knott was a very prolific musician in the late 80’s through the 90’s, and dabbled in pop, punk, goth, etc. He owned his own record label, Blonde Vinyl, and his idea was to flood Christian bookstores with albums from his bands, releasing up to 10 at one time. Critical of many aspects of the church, Knott was never afraid to mince words, and was often despised by the leaders. At the time he made this album, the leaders of Knott’s church (The Vineyard) was being swindled by so-called prophets/faith healers. He made this record as a concept album about what he and The Vineyard was dealing with at the time.

The Grape Prophet tells the story of Ellis, an orange picker from So Cal, who was told to oversee the hired hands. One day, Ellis’ boss informs him that all of the orange pickers left to go north to work on the grapevines, as instructed by The Grape Prophet. Ellis is convinced to follow suit in an attempt to bring the workers back.

L.S. Underground - The Grape Prophet

1626454826450.png

1626454835180.png

This is maddening. Used Neil Young, used Pink Floyd, used Bowie...all easily hitting 20-30. used! There's no reason on earth why a used non-audiophile version of "The Wall" should be any more than $15 at most, that's fucking crazy.
Yup! Common OGs should generally not cost the same as or more than brand new reissues. And, there are so many used LPs on Discogs right now that are priced basically the same as new copies of the very same versions of those LPs, which is absolute nonsense. The two dozen or so titles in my cogs want list have had the same prices for months now. You would think those sellers would catch on that they've priced it too high, but nope, they keep relisting their overpriced items, every freaking day.

Last edited:

I have no idea how long this pre-order will last (might sell out today imo). but pretty hyped about this. if you don't know what this is, it's basically the "Trout Mask Replica" of late 2000s emo/metalcore. even comes with that classic cover of "Crank That" by Soulja boy :cool::cool:
Dang they're all gone...

I only want this out of a sarcastic nostalgia. My first exposure to this band was an old Buddyhead review of one of their music videos. The reviewer said they looked like the Bollywood version of At the Drive-in lolz

Dang they're all gone...

I only want this out of a sarcastic nostalgia. My first exposure to this band was an old Buddyhead review of one of their music videos. The reviewer said they looked like the Bollywood version of At the Drive-in lolz
looks like the label might do a second press soon, but yeah i figure that’s how most people who bought it feel. i always liked ismfof in my youth, but their music does border on the parody a bit 😆.

Yup! Common OGs should generally not cost the same as or more than brand new reissues. And, there are so many used LPs on Discogs right now that are priced basically the same as new copies of the very same versions of those LPs, which is absolute nonsense. The two dozen or so titles in my cogs want list have had the same prices for months now. You would think those sellers would catch on that they've priced it too high, but nope, they keep relisting their overpriced items, every freaking day.
My favorite is sellers on reddit, OG copy of meddle, ring wear, cover tear on one side, name written on the back in ballpoint, $30.

.....orrrrrr I can just get a new one for 18 bucks off Amazon....

This is maddening. Used Neil Young, used Pink Floyd, used Bowie...all easily hitting 20-30. used! There's no reason on earth why a used non-audiophile version of "The Wall" should be any more than $15 at most, that's fucking crazy.

Maybe its just me having spent my whole vinyl life in the bay area and NYC markets, but paying $20 for a clean og copy of a "common" used record isn't crazy. Sure, you could find cheaper copies but they'd be scratched and the sleeves would be coming apart. I definitely paid at least $20 for my og Dylan, Young etc pressings.

I will say there's artists like Joni Mitchell and Fleetwood Mac, who just pressed so many damn copies in their heyday that you could normally find a good copy of a non-"Blue" Joni record for $5-10, and "Blue" for a little above that. And as we all know those days are gone.

Also maybe its just those markets I've never been able find pre-"Let's Dance" Bowie og's at all, unless its up on the wall for some stupid price.

Last edited:
"to the pure, all things are pure | alone"

Ok so I just found a super hidden gem omg! This album came out back in 2016 and I've never read about it before or heard people talk about it. Especially Shoegaze fans. Slipped under the radar. Anyway this has a vinyl release for only 20 bucks and it's an awesome record. If you really like Hum, Failure, Narrow Head, and Nothing then you need to listen to this asap!

I realize that the vinyl collecting hobby is quickly becoming “charge as much as you can.” It sort of reminds me of the early days of the compact disc.

When I see a 3LP beautifully remastered edition from stereolab for $35, A single LP Voivod re-issue on colored vinyl for $19, and many other examples of this, I feel like some decision-makers are making the hobby a lot less affordable for many people.

Yes, there will always be used records and I think that’s the way to go for many buyers and collectors. Sadly, even common used titles are starting to creep up in price.

This may cause some people to stop collecting and go back to digital streaming and files. Especially since wages aren’t really increasing at the same rate.

I remember when Steely Dan albums were to be found in the $5 bin of every record store in America

Several years ago over on SHF ,there was a quote from a record store employee that said something to the effect of "well, a new Neil Young record costs $25, so if you get a used one in, we price it off that so maybe $18-20" i was floored by that, it just was a system that totally threw condition grading and pressing out the window. But it was a sign of things to come.

On another note, SHF clutched pearls over that, but their Classifieds section has always been an unabashed flippers paradise full of boomers willing to pay huge markups so they aren't bothered to actually go to a record store. But I digress

I think it makes some economic sense. If all new pressings are 30 or more and old pressings are finite and decreasing, with new people in the hobby, at some point that used floor should rise if enough people want those and they play well enough for folks. I imagine The Wall has reached that point, Sweet Baby James never will, and a ton of in between.

I think it makes some economic sense. If all new pressings are 30 or more and old pressings are finite and decreasing, with new people in the hobby, at some point that used floor should rise if enough people want those and they play well enough for folks. I imagine The Wall has reached that point, Sweet Baby James never will, and a ton of in between.

the caveat here is new LP's are being pressed like....10,000 at time, and there are literally millions of used copies of The Wall out there.

the caveat here is new LP's are being pressed like....10,000 at time, and there are literally millions of used copies of The Wall out there.
Sure, with that said, about 220k copies of the Wall are claimed on Discogs across all mediums…and abut 387k wanted.

I imagine with those all timer titles, a ton are sitting in people’s houses and being handed down as opposed to being put in circulation.

I too don’t understand, in most cases, paying extra for an older version over a good remaster but I get this behavior at least.

Back