Pre-Order Thread

I get the point being made but like just about everything else in life there's a huge amount of grey area that's being left out, it's not just simply new and used copies. Just off the top, the vast majority of OG copies are def. nowhere close to "NM" let alone "VG+" so for those two grades I get a bit of a premium on many original pressings since the numbers are just dwindling down with time. There's also the fact that OG pressings still many times sound better then current re-issues (especially when you start pin pointing exact pressings). Also, some albums were mastered a little differently between different mastering/remastering over the years and even if the actual sound quality is close there's going to be people that prefer both sides and swear by it. Then some that want both aka bat shit crazy people like me.

The Wall is one of the most appreciated albums of all time and people who don't even really care much about the genre still many times see it as a "must have". There's a reason you rarely see timeless artists like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles etc. get much cheaper across all buying platforms whether it's in person or online. There's always going to be new and old fans buying the staples, these few artists never "go out of style" or become "forgotten". I remember my cousin at about 13 who briefly got into vinyl for like a year had about 10 albums, The White Album by the Beatles, The Wall and then the rest were all random current artists.

Saying all that, this is an especially weird time right now and everyone is charging as much as humanly possible for anything. God help us if someone eventually buys one of the above artists catalogs and starts doing endless variants of them all.. They'll put the Black Pumas of the world to shame with ease.

There's also the fact that OG pressings still many times sound better then current re-issues (especially when you start pin pointing exact pressings). Also, some albums were mastered a little differently between different mastering/remastering over the years and even if the actual sound quality is close there's going to be people that prefer both sides and swear by it. Then some that want both aka bat shit crazy people like me.

The Wall is one of the most appreciated albums of all time . . .
Nerd-out warning:

Speaking from more than one instance of first-hand experience, I am confident that the dynamics in early pressings of The Wall w/ "TML" (The Mastering Lab) stamps are notably more vibrant and stronger than later pressings, particularly Santa Maria and Pitman TML pressings.

Unfortunately, I think every copy has a fair amount of surface noise, probably so when new, and I'm also too familiar w/ Discogs' sellers misrepresenting the condition (and, worse, not verifying the runouts, so the listings are false to begin with).

But, if you find a good Santa Maria or Pitman "TML"-stamped copy, especially w/ "Produced by David Gilmour" as the first credit on the inside of the gatefold (indicative of early presses), you will be happy. I cannot speak to Terre Haute pressed TML-stamped copies.

A plug for my Alabama buddies...

Williamson Brothers (Blake and Adam) are the rhythm section in Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires.

Their thing does not sound like that thing...

View attachment 105545

Mike Patton (Drive-By Truckers, Dexateens) produced and he and Jay Gonzales (Drive-By Truckers) contribute bass and keys.

Carolina folk - who wants to go to a rock show?

I'll be at Charlotte and Winston-Salem at a minimum. First round's on me...

Williamson Brothers Tour
Drive By Truckers bassist Matt Patton will be playing in our band at all shows as will Mike Gaut, drummer for Chattanooga's Bohannon's.

8/11 Greenville, SC at Horizon Records + Great Dying
8/12 Charlotte, NC at Snug Harbor + Late Bloomer + Great Dying
8/13 Winston-Salem, NC at Gas Hill Drinking Room at The Ramkat + Crenshaw Pentecostal + Great Dying
8/14 Chapel Hill, NC at Local 506 + Drunken Prayer (members of Reigning Sound)
8/15 Atlanta, GA at Bogg's Social + Bon Allinson + Great Dying

Highly recommended

Stars of the Lid - The Tired Sounds of

And another one

Stars of the Lid - and their Refinement of the Decline

Did these come back into print from being OOS? This is the same as the ones from like 2015 or whenever they came back in print, right? I already have them but wondering the reason for the share

Did these come back into print from being OOS? This is the same as the ones from like 2015 or whenever they came back in print, right? I already have them but wondering the reason for the share
Yes. Probably. You should be good. :)
Really hoping that these will be available form records stores as well since shipping is kinda expensive...

Edit: Just got a reply from Kranky. Record stores will get copies as well. 🙏

Last edited:
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time tribute from Respawned Records and Mango Mage Records. Respawned already sold out, but there are still a few of the variants over at Mango.

Back