Pre-Order Thread

You fixed that, indeed.

It reminds me of this excerpt from an article that I read in Under The Radar when they spoke with Pavement around the 2010 reunion, after Malkmus was done giving his time to i interviewers to promote it:

The band is deified by a large cross-section of the present indie generation, with acolytes ranging from Deerhunter to Surfer Blood to Cymbals Eat Guitars.

“That’s very cool from our standpoint. All we can do is be appreciative of such a thing. But I just find that amusing. Because they’re so young, maybe they’ve found a mystique that wasn’t readily apparent to me at the time,” laughs Pavement keyboardist/percussionist Bob Nastanovich.

Singer/guitarist Scott “Spiral Stairs” Kannberg snarkily adds, “Yeah, it’s weird. But we influenced Weezer, so that’s a knock against us.”

Maybe I’m the only person old enough to remember them before the Joshua Tree, but U2 is really Irish/Euro REM.

Boy -> UFF = Murmur -> Document
Joshua Tree = Green
Auchtung Baby & Zooropa = Out of Time & AFTP
Monster -> Reveal = Pop - > HTDAAB (But REM have the excellent NAIHi-Fi outlier in this run that U2 never did)
Around the Sun -> Collapse into Now = No Line on the Horizon - > Songs of experience.

And if we are talking about what Post Zeppelin acts are owed a nod by the modern ones : The Police filling Stadiums with a melange of rock, punk, Reggae, Jazz and new wave - really move mainstream tastes in a path that paves the way for U2 to Zoo TV, Coldplay to Scientist and Radiohead to Ok Computer in those same Stadiums later on. (Maybe in all honesty Coldplay owes more to Chicago than the Police)

Hahaha... I was chatting with some longtime friends whom I met through U2 in 2000, and I said, I'm gonna ask them to sign it "Bono is a wanker. Love, Eli"
Check out my user name... I love U2

There was a few U2 fans around here but I think some have went away. We usually have to stick together and defend ourselves.

You have my sword

I would posit that not only is Joshua Tree through All That You Can’t Leave Behind one of the stronger modern album runs, but one of the most interesting of all time. If it weren’t for Forgettable Fire- I’d say you could extend that back to War. Remove October and you can take it back to Boy.
I would extend that from War. While The Unforgettable Fire is a transitional album, IMHO, it’s still a wonderful album that I’d put in their top 5.

Maybe I’m the only person old enough to remember them before the Joshua Tree...

I saw U2 play the very first show of the North American leg of the War tour in a downpour. Bono climbed the light rig anyway. The music was absolutely electric and they were still in 'hunger' mode.

For me, that was hard to top moving forward.

20201023_013749.jpg

I saw U2 play the very first show of the North American leg of the War tour in a downpour. Bono climbed the light rig anyway. The music was absolutely electric and they were still in 'hunger' mode.

For me, that was hard to top moving forward.

View attachment 105206

That’s amazing. You can always count on @Yer Ol' Uncle D to come through with a relevant personal anecdote about a show he attended & or taped. How many shows do you think you’ve been to @Yer Ol' Uncle D?

That’s amazing. You can always count on @Yer Ol' Uncle D to come through with a relevant personal anecdote about a show he attended & or taped. How many shows do you think you’ve been to @Yer Ol' Uncle D?

My first 'real' show was Elton John in 1975. I really have no idea exactly how many I've seen since. I'd estimate the show count is in the high hundreds, the band count is in the thousands.

I've been very fortunate to find myself in the right place at the right time for some memorable gigs and incredible performances. For the most part, it's all been dumb luck. Plus, I'm just old - I've been lucky enough to have more time on this earth to see more stuff.

I'm sure there are folks on the forum (or the old one) who have seen much more live music than I. I live in the sticks and going to see a show involves a minimum 2 hours+ round trip. We have a lotta members who live in cities where they can catch a show every night of the week if they like.

I do have a rule I try to live by: always - always - go to the show. You never know when fate decides it's your last chance to see a band.

Last edited:

No sure if this variant got posted. A signed black vinyl variant. Alternative cover and alternative art print. Limited to 300. 148 left at this moment.

FWIW my preorder specifically says signed alt cover and signed print. Both signed. We shall see.

Came to $46 shipped to US.

Another big U2 fan here ...they were consistently great right up until that terrible Boots single .....and always superb live ..they had a great run from 83-2001 ...the joshua tree gig I went to in 87 may still be the best concert I’ve ever attended ,.the atmosphere was immense ..the whole place was bouncing from the warm up tape to that final sing along of “40” on the train home ...

Maybe I’m the only person old enough to remember them before the Joshua Tree, but U2 is really Irish/Euro REM.

Boy -> UFF = Murmur -> Document
Joshua Tree = Green
Auchtung Baby & Zooropa = Out of Time & AFTP
Monster -> Reveal = Pop - > HTDAAB (But REM have the excellent NAIHi-Fi outlier in this run that U2 never did)
Around the Sun -> Collapse into Now = No Line on the Horizon - > Songs of experience.

And if we are talking about what Post Zeppelin acts are owed a nod by the modern ones : The Police filling Stadiums with a melange of rock, punk, Reggae, Jazz and new wave - really move mainstream tastes in a path that paves the way for U2 to Zoo TV, Coldplay to Scientist and Radiohead to Ok Computer in those same Stadiums later on. (Maybe in all honesty Coldplay owes more to Chicago than the Police)
I'm old. Have seen U2 74 times to date, first show was The Unforgettable Fire tour at Brendan Byrne Arena (The Meadowlands) in New Jersey. The last album I actually liked (even loved some tracks) is No Line on the Horizon. The Songs of... albums are utterly forgettable to me (I'd actually forgotten about that Santa Barbara song until I saw it mentioned up thread!) Many times in my car I'll flip over to U2X radio on Sirius and have no clue what song is being played. I am a semi completist though, and did buy the SoE deluxe box set and I'm not even sure if I ever finished spinning it.

Another big U2 fan here ...they were consistently great right up until that terrible Boots single .....and always superb live ..they had a great run from 83-2001 ...the joshua tree gig I went to in 87 may still be the best concert I’ve ever attended ,.the atmosphere was immense ..the whole place was bouncing from the warm up tape to that final sing along of “40” on the train home ...
Remember when that awful Boots video was released in an unfinished state as they'd forgotten to take the watermark off the video? :LOL:

I was at the JT MSG shows in '87 and saw The New Voices of Freedom perform ISHFWILF with them.

I'm not a fan of stadium shows, but we did fly to Vancouver for the JT30 tour kick off (and also went to the Seattle show two days later) It was fabulous to hear A Sort of Homecoming live again after decades, even if the arrangement wasn't quite right. We also witnessed Mothers of the Disappeared with Eddie Vedder... as he left the stage and was going back to the VIP area (where we'd seen him, Jeff & Mike of Pearl Jam standing earlier) somehow he walked right in front of us and we got to shake hands. Then his security whisked him off quickly.

Remember when that awful Boots video was released in an unfinished state as they'd forgotten to take the watermark off the video? :LOL:

I was at the JT MSG shows in '87 and saw The New Voices of Freedom perform ISHFWILF with them.

I'm not a fan of stadium shows, but we did fly to Vancouver for the JT30 tour kick off (and also went to the Seattle show two days later) It was fabulous to hear A Sort of Homecoming live again after decades, even if the arrangement wasn't quite right. We also witnessed Mothers of the Disappeared with Eddie Vedder... as he left the stage and was going back to the VIP area (where we'd seen him, Jeff & Mike of Pearl Jam standing earlier) somehow he walked right in front of us and we got to shake hands. Then his security whisked him off quickly.
I've said many times if Moment of Surrender was the lead single No Line on the Horizon is a hit.

Back