Pre-Order Thread

Umm, why would they do that?

Because album dependent 33 isn’t always that much of a step down. The cost in these is in the records because they have to make multiple lacquers per pressing because they’re only getting one stamper per lacquer. For the right release they could do that, cut the price to the customer and still likely cream of an equal or bigger margin.

Last edited:
Yeah, that Muddy album is 34 minutes long. Spread over 4 sides, it's like 7 to 8 minutes a side. A lot of wasted vinyl.
There's an argument to be made for not filling up each side (inner groove distortion is lessened) but I agree that it's not ideal for listening at all.

The market price for a 1LP One Step (or equivalent) is $99 now. UHQR and Craft sell them for that. It doesn't mean that other companies would have to sell them for $99, but most realize they would be leaving money on the table if they sold them for less since the UHQRs and Crafts.

And this is why they’re all shits

Because album dependent 33 isn’t that much of a step down. The cost in these is in the records because they have to make multiple lacquers per pressing because they’re only getting one stamper per lacquer. For the right release the could do that, cut the price to the customer and still likely cream of an equal or bigger margin.
Oh, I was stating from their perspective, I still think they charge $100+ if they do a 1 LP of the one-step process.

And this is why they’re all shits
I mean, it's a business decision that seems to be clearly working out for them, despite how much it sucks for the consumer. Craft sold $100k worth of One Steps in about 2 hours. The UHQRs always sell out. People are clearly willing to pay for it (and pay for more when they miss it...the Craft One Steps have been selling for $400-$500 on ebay which also sucks). Audiophiles have tons of money and aren't afraid to spend it.

I mean, it's a business decision that seems to be clearly working out for them, despite how much it sucks for the consumer. Craft sold $100k worth of One Steps in about 2 hours. The UHQRs always sell out. People are clearly willing to pay for it (and pay for more when they miss it...the Craft One Steps have been selling for $400-$500 on ebay which also sucks). Audiophiles have tons of money and aren't afraid to spend it.

it’s also profiteering and price fixing. Name another business in which you literally just copy the other blokes price complete independent of how much the fucking thing is costing you to manufacture and promote? And the whole eBay frenzy is becuse of manufactured scarcity. And it all stinks. All of it. So fuck them even if I still reserve the right to buy the odd thing they release that was originally released before I was born.

it’s also profiteering and price fixing. Name another business in which you literally just copy the other blokes price complete independent of how much the fucking thing is costing you to manufacture and promote? And the whole eBay frenzy is becuse od manufactured scarcity. And it all stinks. All of it. So fuck them even if I still reserve the right to buy the odd thing they release that was originally released before I was born.
I mean....most businesses base prices on what other competitors are charging. They all see how much they can get away with charging. They obviously don't copy and do the same exact price in every business sector, and a lot of times people will undercut others. These companies know they have a good thing going for them. If you can sell something limited for $125 a piece, why screw that up if you're a business? They are limiting to 10k at most for a lot of these. They take too long to print to do open runs (and it would be silly from a business perspective to do so). Most places say the One Steps take 8 months to press from start to putting it on the shelves. This kind of "price fixing" has been prevalent in records for a very long time. MoFis were $35 so AP started charging $35 and then $50 for 2xLPs. These are just even more amplified. One pressing plant controls all One Step production. I also would be willing to be that you can only really get a certain amount of pressings from a master tape on the One Steps. You're revisiting the master tape every 1,000 copies right? So it's not entirely like you can just scale up production to make money on much larger quantity.

I agree with ya and wish that someone would come out and charge way less for One Steps. I just see them getting more expensive before someone swoops in and presses them cheaper. Also, I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here. The prices are crazy. But they are also the same if not less with inflation than what UHQR and audiophile companies were charging in the 80s for a similar product.

I mean....most businesses base prices on what other competitors are charging. They all see how much they can get away with charging. They obviously don't copy and do the same exact price in every business sector, and a lot of times people will undercut others. These companies know they have a good thing going for them. If you can sell something limited for $125 a piece, why screw that up if you're a business? They are limiting to 10k at most for a lot of these. They take too long to print to do open runs (and it would be silly from a business perspective to do so). Most places say the One Steps take 8 months to press from start to putting it on the shelves. This kind of "price fixing" has been prevalent in records for a very long time. MoFis were $35 so AP started charging $35 and then $50 for 2xLPs. These are just even more amplified. One pressing plant controls all One Step production. I also would be willing to be that you can only really get a certain amount of pressings from a master tape on the One Steps. You're revisiting the master tape every 1,000 copies right? So it's not entirely like you can just scale up production to make money on much larger quantity.

I agree with ya and wish that someone would come out and charge way less for One Steps. I just see them getting more expensive before someone swoops in and presses them cheaper.

Let’s just say that I clearly view the world drastically differently to you.

People are gonna have to stop buying $125 records before they start charging less! C'mon folks, we can do it.

I think what actually needs to happen is some completion who come into the market place and show that audiophile records sell for newer albums and that undercuts them by selling with a fair margin and no numbers. Wonder if anyone is crazy enough to forward me the capital 🤔

I think what actually needs to happen is some completion who come into the market place and show that audiophile records sell for newer albums and that undercuts them by selling with a fair margin and no numbers. Wonder if anyone is crazy enough to forward me the capital 🤔
Pretty sure Qrates has a One Step option now available. But it's extra if you want the splatter. :LOL:

I truly wonder how many pressings they can realistically do with One Step from an original master tape? Can they press 30,000 copies with 1,000 copies per stamper? I'd be willing to bet there is a limit especially for the good titles where master tapes aren't super accessible or in good shape. And in that case, you can't make up profit margins by selling more.

Someone could come along and do digitally recorded albums, sure. But why bother doing a One Step at that point? Just use the same vinyl formula (which....one company owns) to get that low noise floor and charge less. Maybe someone will come in and do that --although moFi is doing that now with the $75 supervinyl for a 1LP.

The music industry is and always has been greedy, pretty crooked and focused on money. It sure would be nice for some company to come in and say "we're gonna do a 1Lp One Step for $50". But I agree that we see the world differently from that standpoint. I just don't see it happening right now or anytime soon. Labels control the music rights and pricing. RTI controls the pricing for the One Steps as the only company who does it and owns the formula for the supervinyl. You're way more optimistic than I am about any of it it seems haha.

As long as they keep selling out $125 One Steps, the price will only go up from here. The only way I see it going down is if they hit on a bunch of duds at 10,000 copies and sit on them for years and realize theres no market for it. We aren't there (yet).

I truly wonder how many pressings they can realistically do with One Step from an original master tape? Can they press 30,000 copies with 1,000 copies per stamper? I'd be willing to bet there is a limit especially for the good titles where master tapes aren't super accessible or in good shape. And in that case, you can't make up profit margins by selling more.

Someone could come along and do digitally recorded albums, sure. But why bother doing a One Step at that point? Just use the same vinyl formula (which....one company owns) to get that low noise floor and charge less. Maybe someone will come in and do that --although moFi is doing that now with the $75 supervinyl for a 1LP.

The music industry is and always has been greedy, pretty crooked and focused on money. It sure would be nice for some company to come in and say "we're gonna do a 1Lp One Step for $50". But I agree that we see the world differently from that standpoint. I just don't see it happening right now or anytime soon. Labels control the music rights and pricing. RTI controls the pricing for the One Steps as the only company who does it and owns the formula for the supervinyl. You're way more optimistic than I am about any of it it seems haha.

As long as they keep selling out $125 One Steps, the price will only go up from here. The only way I see it going down is if they hit on a bunch of duds at 10,000 copies and sit on them for years and realize theres no market for it. We aren't there (yet).

Not optimistic. The opposite. Jaded depressed, bored and waiting for the asteroid to hit these dinosaurs. The solution I’d like isn’t going to happen, as much as I want it to.

As for the other thing. When it comes to production there are alwsys other options and solutions if you want them to exist and have the force of will to make them happen.

Last edited:
I'll never pay over $60, so I'm doing my part.
For single LPs I think that is my cut off too. Well, there are a couple exceptions. The In Rainbow diskbox was close to $100 but that is technically a Boxset. The only other one I can think of that was more was my copy of Brightblack Morning Light’s Self-titled LP which is OOP and I doubt coming back into print any time soon. I think that one was approximately $68 shipped which was actually a really good price at the time. Beyond that I start getting sweaty at around $50.

Everybody has their price

Fun Fact: “Mean” Gene Okerlund used to have a fast food restaurant chain call Mean Gene’s Burgers. They had a location across from the Junior College in East Peoria, IL. After ordering, the person taking your order would tell you to “Have A Mean One”.

Decent Burger. Probably shoulda purchased a T-shirt.
11196E33-0BDC-4C6A-BF01-9A48608FADEC.jpeg

Just saw this today also.

View attachment 89358

From the Spiritualized® Twitter account:

*** Spaceman Reissue Program ***
Lazer Guided Melodies - the classic debut album reissued with new artwork on double 180-gram white vinyl
And new Lazer Guided Melodies merchandise based on the original, vintage designs
Available to pre-order now via spiritualized.com

Oh lord, can you hear me?

Does anyone know if the standard black isn't pressed at GZ? I've just had such poor experience with GZ...

Fun Fact: “Mean” Gene Okerlund used to have a fast food restaurant chain call Mean Gene’s Burgers. They had a location across from the Junior College in East Peoria, IL. After ordering, the person taking your order would tell you to “Have A Mean One”.

Decent Burger. Probably shoulda purchased a T-shirt.
View attachment 89447
Not an original but you can buy them.

Last edited:
Back