Portland / Oregon

Not going, but should be a fun show. Just saw Built to Spill there last week, and the sound was great as always. Do you live in Portland, or just visiting?
I grew up here and my parents and sister all live here still, and I can work remotely, so I usually come out here in August for a month (since DC humidity is awful in the summer) and then another month over the holidays. I’ll be here til 1/11/22.

Also if anyone is aware of any other fun NYE activities in Portland, I’m always looking for something to do, as my parents do their own thing with their friends every year for NYE haha.

Also if anyone is aware of any other fun NYE activities in Portland, I’m always looking for something to do, as my parents do their own thing with their friends every year for NYE haha.

I'm sure there will be some good stuff going on. I'm supposed to fly out to socal tuesday morning and all of these snow predictions are starting to get me worried.

IMO, one of the best NYE shows in town is usually the Battle of the Bands at Bunk Bar. It's called Battle of the Decades this year, and features four all-star bands. They haven't announced the bands, but in past years it has included members of Blitzen Trapper, Sleater-Kinney, the Jicks, Quasi, the Thermals, and many others.

Not sure I will make it out as it will likely be the start of Omicron blowing things up around here, but here are the details:

IMO, one of the best NYE shows in town is usually the Battle of the Bands at Bunk Bar. It's called Battle of the Decades this year, and features four all-star bands. They haven't announced the bands, but in past years it has included members of Blitzen Trapper, Sleater-Kinney, the Jicks, Quasi, the Thermals, and many others.

Not sure I will make it out as it will likely be the start of Omicron blowing things up around here, but here are the details:
I remember coming across descriptions of this in previous years, but it's always sold out by the time I remember to look into it. Maybe this year will be the year!

EDIT: Ticket Purchased! Thanks for the tip, @hatfieldpdx !! I hear you about Omicron. I'm scheduled to get boosted on Tuesday, but yeah, who knows if things will start getting cancelled.

If anyone else decides to go, lemme know (as I'm going solo haha!)

I grew up here and my parents and sister all live here still, and I can work remotely, so I usually come out here in August for a month (since DC humidity is awful in the summer) and then another month over the holidays. I’ll be here til 1/11/22.
Good idea! I lived in the D.C. area for two summers during college, and looking back now I'm not sure how I survived. 😂 Humidity destroys me, rendering me useless...even Portland summers are getting too hot, and our heat waves almost always come with low humidity.

I remember coming across descriptions of this in previous years, but it's always sold out by the time I remember to look into it. Maybe this year will be the year!
Yeah, I figured once concerts started back up it would be more difficult to score tickets, but that really hasn't been the case due to the ever-evolving pandemic. I know Janet Weiss (of Quasi, and formerly of Sleater-Kinney) will be playing drums for at least one of the bands. Janet is easily one of my favorite drummers. Have fun if you go!

Last edited:
Good idea! I lived in the D.C. area for two summers during college, and looking back now I'm not sure how I survived. 😂 Humidity destroys me, rendering me useless...even Portland summers are getting too hot, and our heat waves almost always come with low humidity.

Yeah that 108 degree day or whatever it was this past summer sucked. Also taught me that my building just pipes in air straight from the roof without cooling it down.

Both of the Dandy Warhols shows this week were cancelled due to “unforeseen circumstances.”

Fingers crossed that I can still go to the battle of the decades show on friday night!

Both of the Dandy Warhols shows this week were cancelled due to “unforeseen circumstances.”

Fingers crossed that I can still go to the battle of the decades show on friday night!
I hate to say it, but the responsible thing to do is probably to cancel (or postpone), and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the musicians and/or employees of the venue advocating for that decision. Playing live in front of a dense crowd without a mask while vaccinated is one thing in regard to Delta, but with Omicron it would seem that you are essentially guaranteeing exposure.

I hate to say it, but the responsible thing to do is probably to cancel (or postpone), and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the musicians and/or employees of the venue advocating for that decision. Playing live in front of a dense crowd without a mask while vaccinated is one thing in regard to Delta, but with Omicron it would seem that you are essentially guaranteeing exposure.
Yeah it was just cancelled, too. Feeling relieved that I won’t be missing out on anything by not going at least.

I know it sucks, but I'm hoping for some sort of mandated lockdown. Not that I will have time off, but working at a hospital REALLY sucks right now.

Omicron may not be "as bad" as the Delta variant, but it is easier to get and the more people that get it means more people still go to the hospital. There are less on ventilators, but they are still sick to the point of needing Remdesivir and oxygen / high flow / Bi Pap.

We are always at max capacity - even doubling some rooms that really aren't meant for 2 patients. Staff is stretched thin and close to the breaking point.

Last edited:
I know it sucks, but I'm hoping for some sort of mandated lockdown. Not that I will have time off, but working at a hospital REALLY sucks right now.

Omicron may not be "as bad" as the Delta variant, but it is easier to get and the more people that get it means more people still go to the hospital. There are less on ventilators, but they are still sick to the point of needing Remdesivir and oxygen / high flow / Bi Pap.

We are always at max capacity - even doubling some rooms that really aren't meant for 2 patients. Staff is stretched thin and close to the breaking point.

I'm so sorry to have to deal with that so directly.

It's especially enraging when you look at countries doing a better job than the US, but all our elected officials can do is shrug their shoulders and/or tell people not to get vaxxed.

It's all felt so overwhelming recently.

Super duper last minute but I think I'm going to have an extra front row ticket for Bert Kreischer tonight. Only catch is that I'm day 6 since first covid symptoms and will be sitting next to you in an KN95. I don't have a fever or anything and was boosted.

@Rip_City @hatfieldpdx idk who else to tag.
Thanks for the tag, I'm not available tonight but appreciate the offer!

Super duper last minute but I think I'm going to have an extra front row ticket for Bert Kreischer tonight. Only catch is that I'm day 6 since first covid symptoms and will be sitting next to you in an KN95. I don't have a fever or anything and was boosted.

@Rip_City @hatfieldpdx idk who else to tag.
Thanks, but I've got work tonight.

FYI, Billie Marten is embarking on a rare and very limited tour of North America that just so happens to include Portland. She will be at Mississippi Studios on May 8th. If you aren't familiar with her music, check out her latest Flora Fauna. Her earlier material has strong shades of Laura Marling, and I don't say that lightly. Based on that, cc'ing @Rip_City

Back