Portland / Oregon

Hello Portland people - hope this finds you all doing well!

Pickathon and Topaz Farm are partnering for a 2-day Harvest Fest at the end of this month. Bill Callahan, Bedouine, Antibalas and Rose City Band, all under the big oak tree. Should be a nice way to close out summer. We saw Thao play earlier this summer, and it was a pretty magical setting.

Pickathon will surely announce it within the hour - and tickets will go fast when they open at 10 am - but you can grab them now with the code FARMFRIEND.

Also, saw Doug Martsch play a backyard show in the 6th quadrant last night. He has been playing solo shows all over town this summer, and has more planned in late October. Let me know if you want the details.
Damn, think we're gonna be out of town. Would love to know about the Martsch stuff if you want to send it my way. Saw something about the one last night, but didn't make it happen.

Does anyone know how McMenamins Edgefield local presale works? Pavement tix are on sale tomorrow at 10, but the site says there's local presale today; can't tell if that requires a code/link, or if it means I'd need to truck over to a box office.

Does anyone know how McMenamins Edgefield local presale works? Pavement tix are on sale tomorrow at 10, but the site says there's local presale today; can't tell if that requires a code/link, or if it means I'd need to truck over to a box office.
The passwords MONQUI and MCMENAMINS should both work at 10 am today. I see that @Matt M shared the link.

Excited for this one. I saw Pavement at Edgefield on the last reunion tour, with Quasi opening.

Password - monqui

Edit: here's the link, should go live at 10 - PAVEMENT at McMenamins Edgefield Amphitheater on Sep 16, 2022 6:30 PM

The passwords MONQUI and MCMENAMINS should both work at 10 am today. I see that @Matt M shared the link.

Excited for this one. I saw Pavement at Edgefield on the last reunion tour, with Quasi opening.
bow-down-worthy.gif

I think I'm just going to wait and grab a ticket next year. This one is a long ways out. Edgefield always has people selling tickets week of for list price.

I think I'm just going to wait and grab a ticket next year. This one is a long ways out. Edgefield always has people selling tickets week of for list price.
I follow your logic, in a general sense, but it will have been 12 years since Pavement has toured as a band. I could be wrong, of course, but I'm not so sure you will be grabbing tickets at list price next September.

I follow your logic, in a general sense, but it will have been 12 years since Pavement has toured as a band. I could be wrong, of course, but I'm not so sure you will be grabbing tickets at list price next September.
Yeah, good point. I will be catching Malkmus in January in Mexico too. And I'm just a casual fan.

After hemming and hawing a sec, I went for a reserved seat; I think I'll thank myself for springing on it nearly a year from now. Been into Pavement since the mid 00s so I've only had the one tour as a chance to see them together, have only "seen" the Jicks (in the sense that I was in a line at a festival near a tent where the Jicks were playing) and Malkmus walking in my neighborhood every now and then, and I've never been to Edgefield. Pavement's soundtracked much of my life; this will be a delight.

After hemming and hawing a sec, I went for a reserved seat; I think I'll thank myself for springing on it nearly a year from now. Been into Pavement since the mid 00s so I've only had the one tour as a chance to see them together, have only "seen" the Jicks (in the sense that I was in a line at a festival near a tent where the Jicks were playing) and Malkmus walking in my neighborhood every now and then, and I've never been to Edgefield. Pavement's soundtracked much of my life; this will be a delight.
I'm honestly surprised they have reserved seating for Pavement. They did this for Herbie Hancock this summer, which makes sense, but for My Morning Jacket (and most bands) the "bowl" in front of the stage is wide open. Maybe the reserved seats are off to the side?

In any case, really happy for you. I was lucky enough to see Pavement a couple of times before they disbanded in the 90's, and have seen every iteration of the Jicks in the intervening years. And one of my daughters goes to the same school as SM's kiddo, so I have seen him strolling up in flip-flops to pick her up more than a few times (along with the random New Seasons sightings, which I where I seem to run into all our local rock "stars" :ROFLMAO: ).

I'm honestly surprised they have reserved seating for Pavement. They did this for Herbie Hancock this summer, which makes sense, but for My Morning Jacket (and most bands) the "bowl" in front of the stage is wide open. Maybe the reserved seats are off to the side?

In any case, really happy for you. I was lucky enough to see Pavement a couple of times before they disbanded in the 90's, and have seen every iteration of the Jicks in the intervening years. And one of my daughters goes to the same school as SM's kiddo, so I have seen him strolling up in flip-flops to pick her up more than a few times (along with the random New Seasons sightings, which I where I seem to run into all our local rock "stars" :ROFLMAO: ).
Reserved seating seems to be dead-center, front row. This is probably the first concert I've sprung for anything better than GA, so I'm stoked.

Weirdly enough, Malkmus is the only local rocker I've run across in my decade-plus living here, though those sightings have been relatively numerous. I guess I knew Hutch Harris of the Thermals when he ran in the comedy scene a few years back, but that's it. Mostly Malkmus. Who else have we got? Brock? The guy from The Shins who runs (ran?) a food cart?

edit: Now I'm remembering a regular at the coffee shop I worked at ~2010 was dating Janet Weiss and they'd come in together sporadically. So maybe I'm just inured to mid-level music celebs in the scenery.

Reserved seating seems to be dead-center, front row. This is probably the first concert I've sprung for anything better than GA, so I'm stoked.

Weirdly enough, Malkmus is the only local rocker I've run across in my decade-plus living here, though those sightings have been relatively numerous. I guess I knew Hutch Harris of the Thermals when he ran in the comedy scene a few years back, but that's it. Mostly Malkmus. Who else have we got? Brock? The guy from The Shins who runs (ran?) a food cart?

edit: Now I'm remembering a regular at the coffee shop I worked at ~2010 was dating Janet Weiss and they'd come in together sporadically. So maybe I'm just inured to mid-level music celebs in the scenery.
Yes, Janet and Sam Coomes (who played with Elliot Smith in Heatmiser) of Quasi. And Corin and Carrie of Sleater-Kinney, though Carrie is in L.A. now I think. Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse. Britt Daniel of Spoon lived here for a while. M. Ward has mostly lived here. James Mercer of The Shins. Colin Meloy of The Decemberists. Scott McCaughey (Minus 5, Young Fresh Fellows). Willy Vlautin (Richmond Fontaine, Delines), though he's probably more famous as an author now. Malkmus, of course. There are others, but that's a pretty good list.

Did you used to work at Stumptown on Belmont? I saw Janet there a few times, but it was likely closer to 2004-5.

Yes, Janet and Sam Coomes (who played with Elliot Smith in Heatmiser) of Quasi. And Corin and Carrie of Sleater-Kinney, though Carrie is in L.A. now I think. Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse. Britt Daniel of Spoon lived here for a while. M. Ward has mostly lived here. James Mercer of The Shins. Colin Meloy of The Decemberists. Scott McCaughey (Minus 5, Young Fresh Fellows). Willy Vlautin (Richmond Fontaine, Delines), though he's probably more famous as an author now. Malkmus, of course. There are others, but that's a pretty good list.

Did you used to work at Stumptown on Belmont? I saw Janet there a few times, but it was likely closer to 2004-5.
I was at the Peets on Hawthorne, not a stone's throw from there! Brief stint, 2010-2011, then the downtown location through 2012.

I was at the Peets on Hawthorne, not a stone's throw from there! Brief stint, 2010-2011, then the downtown location through 2012.
Nice. Janet was a Jick for a while, which is likely why they came in together. When I lived in SE, I would often see her driving around in her VW beetle.

EDIT: just realizing you were saying she came in with the regular, not with Malkmus.

Pretty good local guy trying to get his shop back open, had a tree fall on it in last years storm and has been dealing with insurance. I've bought here a few times, and always reasonable and threw in a bunch of goodies each time. Here's the link for the gofundme -

Thx. I’ve not been to the store before, but I gave $ and look forward to them (hopefully) opening again. Complete shit-show BS by insurance company.
Right on. Good little spot in a neighborhood, they do a bunch of the indie labels. Nice guy. First time I called to order something I talked to him for about an hour about music/shows.

Anyone going to either of the Dandy Warhols shows next week at Revolution Hall? I’m trying to decide whether I want to go for New Years Eve or on the 30th (leaning towards the 30th though).

Anyone going to either of the Dandy Warhols shows next week at Revolution Hall? I’m trying to decide whether I want to go for New Years Eve or on the 30th (leaning towards the 30th though).
Not going, but should be a fun show. Just saw Built to Spill there last week, and the sound was great as always. Do you live in Portland, or just visiting?

Back