PopTarts Unite!

I don’t want to miss out as well, even though I really can’t buy any vinyl....🤷‍♂️🙉

I can only purchase vinyl from the VMP store as I have so much credit. It would be awesome if VMP did a Rina Sawayama exclusive, but I doubt it! 😶

I listened to her EP not long ago and was absolutely blown away by it!!! 💎🌟

There will be no mention of that company in our land of unicorns, gum drops and rainbows! This is a utopia. They are not. ;)

In round 1 we said goodbye to: Justin Bieber, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, Bruno Mars, Miley Cyrus, Latch, Lil Nas, Arctic Monkeys, Selena Gomez, Goyte, Sky Ferreira, Calvin Harris, Zedd, Chairlift, Panic at the Disco, K. Flay, Susanne Sundfor and Passion Pit.

The only remaining guy left is Kanye!

The biggest upsets were Juice by Lizzo at 51 beating out Born This Way by Lady Gaga at 14. Or Green Light by Lorde at 52 beating Everything is Embarassing by Sky Ferreira at 13. Or Video Games by Lana Del Rey at 48 beating Do I Wanna Know by the Arctic Monkeys at 17.

The widest margin was between Royals by Lorde over Stay the Night by Zedd - 87% v. 13%

Songs seeded 1 - 10 still remain.

Beyonce, Charli XCX, Grimes, Katy Perry, Lizzo, Lorde, Robyn, Taylor Swift - 2 songs left

Carly Rae Jepsen - 3 songs left

Round 2:

I'm going to close this on Tuesday at 7pm EST.

SongArtist
16​
HelloAdeleThis song hit like a tidal wave upon release, everyone knows it and loves it regardless of age.
6​
FormationBeyonceBey decided to stop making music for EVERYONE and just make music for black women. And little did we know how much we all needed it. There were many notable political pop songs over the course of the decade. but most of them were not performed during a Super Bowl half-time show.
18​
FlawlessBeyonceThis song was huge in pop culture. There have been many songs to boost your self esteem but this was the ultimate one for all the girls out there. Even with your imperfections, you are goddamn flawless and should be treated as such. I could go on and on about Bey's inclusion of the excerpt from We Should All Be Feminists but her on the VMAs standing in the darkness in front of the world feminist, was fucking huge for me. It felt like the mainstream was finally seeing us and destigmatizing it, even just a little. I just got goosebumps thinking about it. Bey was with us. Fuck White Feminism and dismissing her black and intersectional feminism. She is living it fucking daily. Yesssssssss
35​
Bad GuyBillie EilishThe perfect pop song for the end of the 2010s, it's weird, wonderful, and dark. Represents the closing of the decade and the mood of how the decade is ending compared to its start, and the shift we're seeing in more experimental types of pop music reaching the mainstream (will go more in depth later lol)
20​
BoysCharli XCXCharli has been turning pop cliches on their head all decade, and this is that in its bounciest form.
21​
Vroom VroomCharli XCX
23​
RecoverChvrchesMy favorite song from one of my favorite bands of the decade. I tear up every time I hear it!
2​
Run Away With MeCRJThe saxophones! It is the siren call of those with impeccable taste.Reason? C'mon. Just listen to it! Also, Mr Robot.Single-handedly spawned r/popheads and ushered in a newfound wave of Carly fans and memes. The 80's-inspired sounds on this track, as well as throughout the fantastic "E-MO-TION" would be a trend seen in pop albums following its wake, continuing to this day. Also was responsible for the re-ignition of her career to propel her above more than just being known as the "Call Me Maybe" songstress. This one is a more personal choice, I just love her and had a hard time picking a favorite. I settled on this one because it got me through some tough times. Though it didn't blow the charts up like it should have, almost everyone who hears it agrees its one of the best pop songs of the decade. It's perfect and one of CRJ's greatest works, not much more needs to be said :3
4​
Cut To The FeelingCRJBasically, any song by Carly: "Roses", "Making the most of the night", "Call me maybe"... I'll vote anything by Carly, but this one is a masterpiece. Robyn and Carly Rae owned the decade of pop music by fully going for it emotionally, but to entirely different ends. Where Robyn was not afraid to revel in sadness and braggadocio, Carly Rae remained ever hopeful, and this song is her crown jewel.
7​
Call Me MaybeCRJI feel like this one needs no explanation. This was such a smash and alot of peoples introduction to this pop queen (and unfortunately the song many people still think of her as a one hit wonder because of). This song introduced me to the treasure that is Carly Rae Jepsen. I mean, have you heard it?

25​
OblivionGrimesArguably the song of the decade for me. Combines aural, heady, electronic playfulness with lyrics detailing sexual assault...an amalgamation very surreal and perhaps unsettling. Amazing how this song, as well as the entire album "Visions" was made in Garageband in three weeks.
39​
CaliforniaGrimesBecause this music makes me cry, it sounds just like my soul
41​
FallingHAIM1980’s Fleetwood Mac remodelled for millennials. Pure joyful brilliance!
46​
All of the LightsKanye WestBest Kanye song and great Rihanna feat.
27​
Teenage DreamKaty PerryI don't think there is a better pop song or one that represents the beginning of the decade better than this one. A near perfect Pop song on a near perfect pop album
28​
RoarKaty PerryBest Katy perry song
8​
Tik TokKeshaThe first #1 hit of the decade and one of the definitive hits of the early 2010s ‘club boom’ era. Represents the start of the decade and the feel good mood of a lot of the pop songs near the beginning of the 2010s, and was inescapable at the time of its release and made an undeniable impact
9​
The Edge of GloryLady GagaGaga's Born This Way era was cruelly overlooked during the recent media's end of decade summaries, a brave kitchen sink album featuring some of the riskiest choices made by a major pop star this millennium. The Edge of Glory is not a risk taker takes a step back from the album to showcase it's giant heart, from the heartbeats kicking off the song to the emotive fluttering synths and sax solo going off halfway through, it's rare that i make it through without a lump in my throat.
48​
Video Games Lana Del Rey
29​
Good as HellLizzoThis song is in everything, everywhere and is fun to dance to. I can't wait to see the dances for it at Mardi Gras.
51​
Juice LizzoMassive hooks
5​
RoyalsLordeThis track stunned me on first listen. The fingersnaps, open sounding bass, very smart lyrics...the minimal production keeps the listener waiting with bated breath. Wondering if Billie Eilish (the current pop darling of this year) was influenced by Lorde's vocal style and music?
52​
Green LightLordeRoyals might be her best known song but Green Light is the dance floor banger we all need now.
31​
Only GirlRihannawhenever this song came on the radio while playing grand theft auto v, i had to let it play through to the end. every time. that’s a sign of a good pop song. and rihanna has a lot of good pop songs.
1​
Dancing On My OwnRobynFor me, this song came from nowhere and it is pop perfection. That's all. Set the tone for this decade's introspective pop. This song is amazing-sounding and captures perfectly what it feels like be in the 2010s. Probably the first true modern pop song of the decade, super influential. Robyn Rules! Because it's the perfect "sad" dance song. It's Robyn. Head-bopper that keeps you up when your already there and brings you up if you're not. It doesn't get old. It's everything a pop jam should be.
10​
Call Your GirlfriendRobynThis is pop perfection. So danceable and you can’t help but sing along with her. It’s literally the best song of all time
32​
MalmoStarfuckerThe song is an upbeat tune you can dance to, the lyrics are about not needing some eye in the sky to watch over you, basically your religion is keeping you fearful. The lyrci This is the holocene, is a great example of them saying this is the time of us not a time for god. Brave, unforgivable, this song keeps your head nodding.
3​
Shake It OffTaylor SwiftTaylor had quite a decade. This song sky rocketed her from just the living rooms of country fans to the living rooms of everyone. No reasoning needed. Another absolutely huge song and a perfect song by Taylor. She was obviously on her way to pop for awhile beforehand but this was the song that completed the transition and you couldnt escape this song when it was released. And it was just a part of the whole 1989 album that was just so great.That drum line and the honking sax was such a new sound. This song let everyone know her transition to pop was complete. No explanation needed, her first song after declaring she was now officially a pop artist and it was HUGE. This one was everywhere and hasn't died yet.
11​
Blank SpaceTaylor SwiftThe pop queen of the 2010’s! I think this is her best song! T. Swift was an "artist of the decade" - she was everywhere, and not always for her music. Blank Space is her best tune and an insightful self-parody of her public image. It's catchy, funny, artsy. When I think of this decade, I'll think of this song. I was a late comer to Taylor Swift with 1989 being my entry drug. Blank Space has everything you'd want in a great pop song!

In round 1 we said goodbye to: Bruno Mars
giphy.gif

In round 1 we said goodbye to: Miley Cyrus,
giphy.gif

The Monkeys fell 😢

I kinda expected it given they were up against the song I would have chosen as my fourth choice!

In round 1 we said goodbye to: Justin Bieber, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, Bruno Mars, Miley Cyrus, Latch, Lil Nas, Arctic Monkeys, Selena Gomez, Goyte, Sky Ferreira, Calvin Harris, Zedd, Chairlift, Panic at the Disco, K. Flay, Susanne Sundfor and Passion Pit.

The only remaining guy left is Kanye!

The biggest upsets were Juice by Lizzo at 51 beating out Born This Way by Lady Gaga at 14. Or Green Light by Lorde at 52 beating Everything is Embarassing by Sky Ferreira at 13. Or Video Games by Lana Del Rey at 48 beating Do I Wanna Know by the Arctic Monkeys at 17.

The widest margin was between Royals by Lorde over Stay the Night by Zedd - 87% v. 13%

Songs seeded 1 - 10 still remain.

Beyonce, Charli XCX, Grimes, Katy Perry, Lizzo, Lorde, Robyn, Taylor Swift - 2 songs left

Carly Rae Jepsen - 3 songs left

No offense to alot of those great eliminated songs/bands but I'm not upset to see most of the songs I would consider only marginally Pop eliminated. Bands like Panic, Chairlift, Artic Monkeys, Paramore, etc I would definitely consider more Pop-Rock. And although I like those bands, I was looking at this as more straightforward pop (same reason I didnt consider including any Pop-Country). Obviously just my perspective.

No offense to alot of those great eliminated songs/bands but I'm not upset to see most of the songs I would consider only marginally Pop eliminated. Bands like Panic, Chairlift, Artic Monkeys, Paramore, etc I would definitely consider more Pop-Rock. And although I like those bands, I was looking at this as more straightforward pop (same reason I didnt consider including any Pop-Country). Obviously just my perspective.

Yeah I still see pop as a much more all encompassing thing rather than a tight genre. It’ll always be for me songs that would have been considered chart botherers back when we had proper charts, regardless of the wider genre they come from. Catchy is catchy and a hook is a hook. So I disagree completely 😝

Voted! And updated the matchup specific Spotify playlist if anyone is interested:

My votes are in; there were a couple hard ones but on the whole much easier than Round 1.

I felt the same way, no really difficult decisions for me this time around.

Yeah I still see pop as a much more all encompassing thing rather than a tight genre. It’ll always be for me songs that would have been considered chart botherers back when we had proper charts, regardless of the wider genre they come from. Catchy is catchy and a hook is a hook. So I disagree completely 😝

I mean, I knew some people would and I definitely see that view (especially as someone who likes almost all those bands listed). I just could never take something like Artic Monkeys a serious contender for "Pop" song of the decade. This thread was pretty much a conversation on traditional pop as opposed to Catchy tracks from other genres, until this voting bracket. But whatever, Genre is subjective.

Back