PopTarts Unite!

I keep writing and deleting stuff, but pop isn't meant to be pigeonholed. We have songs like bad guy and Formation that lean towards trap, you've got the latest singles from Ariana Grande that lean towards R&B, even looking back you've got the barrage of rock leaning pop songs like Kelly's Since U Been Gone and Christina's Fighter, the countless, countless balladry that asks the question is this pop or is this a singer-songwriter affair? When a pop star hops on a dance act's track is that dance music or pop? I'd argue tracks like I Belong In Your Arms and High Hopes are way more "traditionally" pop than any of the above.

What makes pop is a catchy melody, a vocal for radio and (usually) a wide audience (sorry CRJ).

I keep writing and deleting stuff, but pop isn't meant to be pigeonholed. We have songs like bad guy and Formation that lean towards trap, you've got the latest singles from Ariana Grande that lean towards R&B, even looking back you've got the barrage of rock leaning pop songs like Kelly's Since U Been Gone and Christina's Fighter, the countless, countless balladry that asks the question is this pop or is this a singer-songwriter affair? When a pop star hops on a dance act's track is that dance music or pop? I'd argue tracks like I Belong In Your Arms and High Hopes are way more "traditionally" pop than any of the above.

What makes pop is a catchy melody, a vocal for radio and (usually) a wide audience (sorry CRJ).

You had me until those last 2 words.

HOW. DARE. YOU! ;) She is pop through and through!

Not trying to pigeon hole it. I just personally see a difference between rock or R&B influenced Pop and Catchy Rock songs. In my eyes Artic Monkeys, Paramore, etc are really enjoyable catchy bands but I don't consider Pop. If you don't agree, that's cool and I get it. But I'm happy to see those bands fall off this list here.

It's the age old discussion: What is pop? Cause Aretha was pop. The Beatles were pop. I don't have an answer. I really wanted this to be open to whatever people thought of when they hear the word "pop". I, personally, apply Justice Stewart's threshold for obscenity: I know it when I see it. So, for pop, I know it when I hear it.

If Hayley Williams was a solo artist and not attached to Paramore, y'all would see her for the pop queen she is. Just saying 😘

I have loved Hayley Williams since Paramore's first album and meeting her at warped tour back in the day. If she was solo, she would definitely be a pop queen. Paramore to me is a Rock band (a poppy one but still a rock band). Same as how I consider No Doubt Rock and Gwen Stefani Pop.

BUT its all subjective, Genres dont really mean anything. Didnt mean to start a big debate, I just like seeing artists I really like from a genre written off by too many music snobs getting some love.

It's the age old discussion: What is pop? Cause Aretha was pop. The Beatles were pop. I don't have an answer. I really wanted this to be open to whatever people thought of when they hear the word "pop". I, personally, apply Justice Stewart's threshold for obscenity: I know it when I see it. So, for pop, I know it when I hear it.

Yeah this completely! Pop is open to all and everyone. If you get stuck in my head and you get me dancing, humming or singing and I think that back in the day you were a chart botherer you’re pop for me! Doesn’t matter if you are indie or rock or soul or blues or EDM or rnb or hip hop or whatever!

If Hayley Williams was a solo artist and not attached to Paramore, y'all would see her for the pop queen she is. Just saying 😘
I have loved Hayley Williams since Paramore's first album and meeting her at warped tour back in the day. If she was solo, she would definitely be a pop queen. Paramore to me is a Rock band (a poppy one but still a rock band). Same as how I consider No Doubt Rock and Gwen Stefani Pop.

BUT its all subjective, Genres dont really mean anything. Didnt mean to start a big debate, I just like seeing artists I really like from a genre written off by too many music snobs getting some love.
She'll be a solo artist soooonnnnn...and I can't wait

Paramore is nothing without Hayley. I have liked them a ton ever since I saw them at a festival. She effing rocks. I was really pleased to see them nominated. Sad that they were out so fast, but they are in our playlist forever!!!! And I can't wait for the solo album.

Also - Kesha's album comes out this month.

Speaking of Kesha's new album, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Both of the singles I heard were polar opposites, lol. For some reason I have a feeling the album will kind of be her mixing pieces of the more soulful singer-songwriter Kesha and the obnoxious* party girl Ke$ha together.

*meant in the most positive way possible.

Back