PopTarts Unite!

@wynn72 - I’ve got a question for you!

What is your favourite 2006 album out of these albums:

Pussycat Dolls - PCD
Fergie - The Dutchess
Nelly Furtado - Loose

All three of those albums came out in 2006 and all three of them had so many mega hit singles from each album!

Nelly Furtado had the #1 hit singles Promiscuous and Say It Right and Maneater was huge as well. Do It and All Good Things we’re big international hits as well.

Pussycat Dolls had the #1 hit single Don’t Cha. Buttons and Stickwitu were also top 10 hits and Beep and Wait a Minute were also catchy songs that chatted well too!

Fergie had five top 10 singles and three of them were #1 singles! Glamorous being the best of the #1 singles and the cutesy, computerised sound of Clumsy with that old school sample is amazing! Fergalicious is retro yet very modern! London Bridge is an abrasive party song that really does sound it was influenced by Gwen Stefani’s Hollerback Girl and M.I.A.’s exuberant style.

Not to mention Beyoncé and Rihanna also had albums from 2006 which both contained #1 singles from them and other major hits too!

But we both know the best pop album of 2006 was Justin Timberlake’s FutureSexLoveSounds which contained three #1 hits and was easily the most futuristic album and set the bar for pop music at the time!

2006 was loaded for pop, ey! 😱

Probably Nelly Furtado - Loose. I really like its production, the singles, Her new style. Just a really solid album all around.

PCD is enjoyable but more in guilty pleasure sort of way, and its a bit dated now (but still fun)

I hate Fergie (and the black eyed peas)

Love Rihanna and Beyonce. Those albums are great but not top tier for either of them. FutureSex/LoveSounds would obviously be my top pick for 2006 but after that would definitely be Christina Aguilera ‘Back to Basics’. Absolutely love that album.

Probably Nelly Furtado - Loose. I really like its production, the singles, Her new style. Just a really solid album all around.

PCD is enjoyable but more in guilty pleasure sort of way, and its a bit dated now (but still fun)

I hate Fergie (and the black eyed peas)

Love Rihanna and Beyonce. Those albums are great but not top tier for either of them. FutureSex/LoveSounds would obviously be my top pick for 2006 but after that would definitely be Christina Aguilera ‘Back to Basics’. Absolutely love that album.
Yeah, PCD is a bit outdated, I know what you mean! Like Stickwitu is so outdated in particular and those cover versions on the second half of the album are mediocre too. The second half of the album of PCD in general is just mediocre.

Agree that those Beyoncé and Rihanna albums are great but they certainly aren’t their best; that would be ANTI and Good Girl Gone Bad for Rihanna and Lemonade and 4 for Beyoncé in my opinion.

The singles on Loose indeed are really great! Timbaland is a genius! Even the opening song on Loose - Afraid - sounds a bit like a Grimes song! I love the lurking, dark guitars and the pulsating hi-hats on that song! Nelly Furtado’s talking/rap vocals work so nicely in contrast with the bridge and chorus too! That song has this dark, underground, lively sound and really sets the tone for Loose. Great opener! Showtime really does sound like a lost Aaliyah song, which makes sense as Timbaland produced it! I love the warped, subdued, mellow production and Nelly’s naked vocals on the verse on that song. Even Glow is pretty great! It’s this electronic, tribal, dizzying, loud and nasty banger that really shows off Timbaland’s futuristic production!

Loose is also my favourite out of those three albums and I definitely prefer it more than Christina Aguilera’ as Back to Basics! DJ Premier’s production was great on that album! Loved the four tracks he produced on that one! Slow Down Baby is amazing and F.U.S.S. is a great indulgent, sexy, dim the lights interlude too. The rest of the tracks on the first disc are pretty average.

Candyman is annoying in my opinion. It’s way too sugary, sweet and just sounds like a commercial. It’s overdone. Nasty Naughty Boy is great though! The production on that song is spot on and I love Christina’s vocals on that track. I Got Trouble works too! But the rest isn’t that great in my opinion.

If Back to Basics was just 1 disc and the outdated “Makes Me Wanna Pray” was replaced with Nasty Naughty Boy and the boring “Here To Stay“ with I Got Trouble, then this would be an extremely good album!

Yeah, PCD is a bit outdated, I know what you mean! Like Stickwitu is so outdated in particular and those cover versions on the second half of the album are mediocre too. The second half of the album of PCD in general is just mediocre.

Agree that those Beyoncé and Rihanna albums are great but they certainly aren’t their best; that would be ANTI and Good Girl Gone Bad for Rihanna and Lemonade and 4 for Beyoncé in my opinion.

The singles on Loose indeed are really great! Timbaland is a genius! Even the opening song on Loose - Afraid - sounds a bit like a Grimes song! I love the lurking, dark guitars and the pulsating hi-hats on that song! Nelly Furtado’s talking/rap vocals work so nicely in contrast with the bridge and chorus too! That song has this dark, underground, lively sound and really sets the tone for Loose. Great opener! Showtime really does sound like a lost Aaliyah song, which makes sense as Timbaland produced it! I love the warped, subdued, mellow production and Nelly’s naked vocals on the verse on that song. Even Glow is pretty great! It’s this electronic, tribal, dizzying, loud and nasty banger that really shows off Timbaland’s futuristic production!

Loose is also my favourite out of those three albums and I definitely prefer it more than Christina Aguilera’ as Back to Basics! DJ Premier’s production was great on that album! Loved the four tracks he produced on that one! Slow Down Baby is amazing and F.U.S.S. is a great indulgent, sexy, dim the lights interlude too. The rest of the tracks on the first disc are pretty average.

Candyman is annoying in my opinion. It’s way too sugary, sweet and just sounds like a commercial. It’s overdone. Nasty Naughty Boy is great though! The production on that song is spot on and I love Christina’s vocals on that track. I Got Trouble works too! But the rest isn’t that great in my opinion.

If Back to Basics was just 1 disc and the outdated “Makes Me Wanna Pray” was replaced with Nasty Naughty Boy and the boring “Here To Stay“ with I Got Trouble, then this would be an extremely good album!
I’ll agree there. Im not a fan of bloated albums in general and ‘Back to Basics’ could have benefitted from some trimming. But overall I still think it’s a great piece of work and my favorite Aguilera album (although I go back and forth between that and stripped). The Pop, Jazz, and Soul combo and retro feel was just a perfect showcase for her voice and it was so different than all the other pop coming put then. And I really dont think the production feels dated at all, mostly from it not just chasing the trends of the time. Something that I think it has an advantage over ‘Loose’ and ‘FutureSex/LoveSounds’ (Even though I definitely prefer that album to BTB)

I’ll agree there. Im not a fan of bloated albums in general and ‘Back to Basics’ could have benefitted from some trimming. But overall I still think it’s a great piece of work and my favorite Aguilera album (although I go back and forth between that and stripped). The Pop, Jazz, and Soul combo and retro feel was just a perfect showcase for her voice and it was so different than all the other pop coming put then. And I really dont think the production feels dated at all, mostly from it not just chasing the trends of the time. Something that I think it has an advantage over ‘Loose’ and ‘FutureSex/LoveSounds’ (Even though I definitely prefer that album to BTB)
Mmmm yeah, I agree that it was definitely refreshing for Back to Basics to have that retro feel and I also agree that the production in general did showcase her great voice! For the most part, the production doesn’t feel dated but there are a few songs on there that I feel just sound outdated/haven’t aged well, like the opening song and ‘Here to Stay’. Maybe both tracks just feel a little bit overproduced. “Ain’t No Other Man” is my favourite Christina Aguilera song along with “Genie in A Bottle“! DJ Premier’s production paired with Christina’s fierce performance on Ain’t No Other Man is incredible!

Really wish the first disc of Back to Basics was 3/4 DJ Premier produced!

FutureSex/LoveSounds and Blackout are both certified classics for me though! Gwen Stefani’s Love.Angel.Music.Baby is better than Loose, B’Day, Back to Basics and is on par with Emancipation of Mimi for me!

Back to Basics is hands down Christina's best album and my favorite as well. I absolutely agree that nothing was coming out that even sounded like this album. Now I have to go spin my copy and jam.

I'm ready for them to do a large press of Victoria Monet's Jaguar that came out earlier this year. IMHO, one of the best pop/R&B albums of this year.

Just came here to share this. Angèle is a Belgian artist. I strongly recommend to listen to her first album "Brol" (and "Brol Suite", a collection of B-sides). I am not a lot into pop music but I love this album.

Yes!! She's great. And huuuuge in Belgium (and I'm guessing in France too)
You didn't post my favourite of her songs though

Yes she is huge in France too. I love this song but it became her biggest hit. My favorite of the album is Nombreux. The song if very different from the other songs but she gaves a lot of intensity on it.

Yes she is huge in France too. I love this song but it became her biggest hit. My favorite of the album is Nombreux. The song if very different from the other songs but she gaves a lot of intensity on it.
It's like y'all know I have a penchant for French pop.

Ariana Grande’s Positions is a near instant classic for me! A stunning album, that is intimate, slick, cheeky, suggestive and has immaculate, intricate production! I am definitely copping the vinyl for this one!

I think Positions is better than Thank U, Next! I am already in love with the album and it’s in the top albums of 2020 along with Jessie Ware, Lianne La Havas, Gorillaz, Yves Tumor and King Krule!

I’m so proud of Ariana Grande and continue to be impressed with how much she develops! She is one of the artists that has had the most growth in the last 10 years in my opinion!

Ariana Grande’s Positions is a near instant classic for me! A stunning album, that is intimate, slick, cheeky, suggestive and has immaculate, intricate production! I am definitely copping the vinyl for this one!

I think Positions is better than Thank U, Next! I am already in love with the album and it’s in the top albums of 2020 along with Jessie Ware, Lianne La Havas, Gorillaz, Yves Tumor and King Krule!

I’m so proud of Ariana Grande and continue to be impressed with how much she develops! She is one of the artists that has had the most growth in the last 10 years in my opinion!

I love Positions and surprised that it’s not getting the love her last two got (though sweetener is still top for me as of now).
I love instead of the pop/r&b bangers route she went with more lo-fi R&b album, which fit the theme of the album (pretty much sex) so much better.
This was one of my top anticipated albums this year and I love it more with every listen,

I love Positions and surprised that it’s not getting the love her last two got (though sweetener is still top for me as of now).
I love instead of the pop/r&b bangers route she went with more lo-fi R&b album, which fit the theme of the album (pretty much sex) so much better.
This was one of my top anticipated albums this year and I love it more with every listen,
100% - The aesthetic of the album is very beautiful! A lot of nostalgic melodies as well which works in favour of the song structures. It’s a very sexual album and I am just blown away with how beautiful the production on this album is!

Ariana definitely suits the more R&B sound. This album feels so much less forced than anything she’s ever done as well. Positions really is Ariana’s most matured work to date and is her best work yet. I love it!

Like you said, it’s an album where you uncover more and more with each listen!

The mixing on the album ‘Positions’ is perfect as well too @wynn72 ! Like Ariana’s vocals really shine on that album compared to her first 3 albums. Her vocals have matured on Positions and I cannot wait to get the album on vinyl! Very happy it’ll be a 2xLP pressing! The 2LP half colour split pressing of Thank U, Next, so I’m sure this one will sound great too on vinyl as it will be spacious being pressed on two discs!

Back