Political Discussion

This just saddens me how many people are in need. The economy is most definitely not as strong as they say it is.

This just saddens me how many people are in need. The economy is most definitely not as strong as they say it is.
I believe this is the 4th time Fair Park here in Dallas has been used by the North Texas Food Bank for the food giveaways. I'm just thankful the North Texas Food Bank is able to try to help meet the needs of the people who desperately need their services.

When I go to the State Fair for the Texas OU football game at the Cotton Bowl, I walk from the very back parking lot that is well below this picture all the way up to the stadium on the top left. That line is about 2 miles long. I'd imagine it snakes around to the main parking lot which borders a large music venue and then proceeds all the way to the inner portion where the State Fair is normally located. For some perspective on how big that area is, they once held a F1 Grand Prix event inside the Fair and along this stretch.

201115184110-01-dallas-food-bank-1114-exlarge-169.jpg

I know it’s the midterm elections are about as far away as they can get and no one will remember this come 2022 but this seems incredibly tone deaf considering what going on right now with Covid.
Maybe a fancy dinner in a gilded capital building when your telling you constituents to have a Zoom Thanksgiving isn’t the best look. SMDH.

I'm just going to leave these two things right here.
These are the same people that were fighting over how much stimulus they wanted to give us--which we all now realize is none. I guess they had to make sure they had enough money for their fancy dinner fund.

Sometimes I wonder if these are the natural ebbs and flows of humanity. Didn’t the last major progressive period come after the 1st Guilded Age ruined everything?

Essentially yes.

Wage disparities can only grow to a certain extent until the economy fails and we have a long lasting depression. Progressive policies are the only things that can bring real change. This is where the people get more power.

But as things get better power and influence always swings back to the rich. And the progressive policies are eroded over time until the cycle repeats.

The Republicans have spent the last 50 years trying to undo the New Deal. Deregulation and all and let the free market run it self.

the replies to his midnight tweetstorm are amusing (as much as they can be in the face of the madness).

what a Sunday! woke up, conceded, golfed, probably sipped some diet Coke while browsing blogs at midnight, and then changed his mind.

the replies to his midnight tweetstorm are amusing (as much as they can be in the face of the madness).

what a Sunday! woke up, conceded, golfed, probably sipped some diet Coke while browsing blogs at midnight, and then changed his mind.

Did he literally delete that tweet and post it again without all caps? Maybe he didn't want to seem to deranged.

Screenshot_20201116-112337_Twitter.jpg

Also, lol at that passive agresdive Twitter tag.

Did he literally delete that tweet and post it again without all caps? Maybe he didn't want to seem to deranged.

View attachment 75065

Also, lol at that passive agresdive Twitter tag.
worse, I think he was just reiterating over his morning Big Mac.

and now "NO YOU DIDNT" has been tweeted more than 40k times today.

Sometimes I wonder if these are the natural ebbs and flows of humanity. Didn’t the last major progressive period come after the 1st Guilded Age ruined everything?
Sort of.
So there was this great mathematics paper that I can't seem to locate right now about how after doing several iterations of asset exchange, eventually money aggregates together and it becomes easier and easier, once one person has wealth, to gain more through unequal asset exchange (usually due to the person with more being able to charge interest). There is evidence throughout history of wealth inequality and it is either dealt with by forgiving loans or with radical political and economic change that isn't always pretty--think the fall of Rome and the French Revolution.

I'm not the best on American history, as I've only started reading about this era (c. 1865-1890), and what I have read points to the Guilded age ended when people started demanding anti-trust laws and embraced unions even moreso than in the past. This was only possible because of the emergence of the middle class which started as new opportunities abounded because of westward expansion and new technologies that allowed enough wealth to spread around to the "unwashed masses". While I see a lot of great new technology with computers as well as the new CRSP technology which will revolutionize medicine, I don't see the same amount of wealth distribution that was seen after the Civil War in the US. Furthermore, with a Biden win, we are guaranteed that he will continue the same sort of anti-trust law enforcement as Obama (which was basically nothing. Trump didn't help things, but Obama has a terrible anti-trust record). What was done when transitioning from the Guilded Age to the Progressive Era was a peaceful transition of wealth redistribution by a robust middle class using unions to ensure fair wages and politicans eager to create and enforce anti-trust laws. Now, thanks to the Citizen's United ruling, anyone can fund a political candidate and they don't have to report it. Analysis suggests that our politicians are all (and I mean all) being funded by a small number of very rich individuals (not corporations as feared when Citizens United was ruled on in 2010). This means that the sort of political action that needs to be taken in order to keep everything peaceful will not be enacted in this current political envirnoment because it directly opposes and would strip wealth from these same people.

It wasn't a mistake or happy accident that a progressive era followed after the guilded age. It was a populace movement in direct response to the robber barons and the wealth inequality they constructed. I feel like we are currently, as a populace, starting to react to our economic plight. When Pelosi showed everyone her favorite ice cream, it was equivalent to Marie Antoinette telling people to eat cake. It wasn't out of callous disinterest in her people, but instead the words of a woman that only ever lived in a world of extravagance and money. I feel that the same disconnect is happening here. It is not because our politicians are malicious or spiteful but instead disconnected from the average American. It is going to take a bunch of average Americans to say that all of this is enough and try to change our trajectory.

worse, I think he was just reiterating over his morning Big Mac.

and now "NO YOU DIDNT" has been tweeted more than 40k times today.

Did we have progress yesterday where he admitted for the first time that Joe Biden won bud offered no concession?

One step forward, two steps backwards.

Citizens United lacks common sense. I mean of course you’re going to have more money put into campaigns designed to protect those with the money, that’s called self preservation. And to argue that as free speech is such an insane reach. Citizens United is the reason that we essentially have two right wing parties and why progressives politics cannot work by playing nice.

This is getting talked about a lot today. I think it must be getting serious consideration after the light news I had saw about it two weeks ago.

Again, this would be absolutely huge. I would be one of those people who want to buy a house but am balancing 25k in Student Loan debt.

This is getting talked about a lot today. I think it must be getting serious consideration after the light news I had saw about it two weeks ago.

Again, this would be absolutely huge. I would be one of those people who want to buy a house but am balancing 25k in Student Loan debt.

I'm not feeling wholly optimistic about this, even if it does happen. When Navient started hounding me for payments at the beginning of pandemic, I reached out to see about the deferment everyone was supposed to see; the person I spoke with very curtly let me know that was only for federal loans (it sounded like they got that question a lot).

So I'm kinda predicting the same conversation; Biden overturns student debt, but Navient is still at my heels because he only overturned federal loans. I hope I'm wrong; it would be really nice to not have to continue being financially crippled by a degree I've never actually been hired for.

I'm not feeling wholly optimistic about this, even if it does happen. When Navient started hounding me for payments at the beginning of pandemic, I reached out to see about the deferment everyone was supposed to see; the person I spoke with very curtly let me know that was only for federal loans (it sounded like they got that question a lot).

So I'm kinda predicting the same conversation; Biden overturns student debt, but Navient is still at my heels because he only overturned federal loans. I hope I'm wrong; it would be really nice to not have to continue being financially crippled by a degree I've never actually been hired for.
Same.
The plan he had on his campaign website has morphed into a bunch of half measures. Right now, it looks like his plan will forgive up to $50K of federal student loans as long as you perform "eligible service" for up to 5 years (each year you get $10K forgiven) and he is relaxing bankruptcy laws so that it's easier to discharge student debt through bankruptcy. When I check to see the eligibility on the bankruptcy proposal, you have to meet several requirements, mainly show that the student loan keeps you from paying other necessary bills. So it's up to the poor, broke person to prove undue hardship. This all feels like half measures to me. His proposal for people currently attending college and those attending in the future look really nice, but I wonder how much of it would actually get passed.

Back