Political Discussion

Patent Trolls were just awarded a little over a half a billion dollars in the Eastern Texas District.

The patent troll sued Apple for violating 7 of it's patents. The patents are all on 4G LTE, a worldwide standard. So essentially, every single 4G LTE device in existence from any manufacturer violates their 7 patents.

Basically, they were awarded patents for things they should not have, that describe how 4G LTE works vaguely. And Eastern Texes, being where all the patent trolls go and get awarded money over and over again said Apple failed to prove that the patents in question were invalid. They weren't involved in developing the 4G LTE Standard, and no manufacture pays them royalties. They went after Apple first because of apples deep pockets and the potential for a big payday.

Apple will appeal and this case is sure to go in their favor in a higher level court.

Why am I hearing more and more cases like this recently where school cops are arresting special needs kids for acting out.

In the case of this story, a 8 year old boy with special needs was arrested after he hit his teacher. He was charged with felony assault.

The family has filed a lawsuit against the police, but the police department said they did nothing wrong and followed all operating procedures.

This is what we get when we have no tolerance and police issues rather than provide the proper support kids need in schools.

Why am I hearing more and more cases like this recently where school cops are arresting special needs kids for acting out.

In the case of this story, a 8 year old boy with special needs was arrested after he hit his teacher. He was charged with felony assault.

The family has filed a lawsuit against the police, but the police department said they did nothing wrong and followed all operating procedures.

This is what we get when we have no tolerance and police issues rather than provide the proper support kids need in schools.
JFC, what if he hadn't been special needs? Does a "normal" 8yo become a felon for making a less than astute decision under some degree of duress?

I think Kamala is about as close to progessive as you are going to get at this current time.
I mean, I think we are mostly on the same page. I guess to me it just seems like the protests are a more real thing that I am a little more surprised that this pick was tone deaf to than Bernie Bros. I'm not saying the stuff that made people want to vote for Bernie wasn't a big deal, but that's politics vs politics, it was put to a vote, the numbers weren't there so he lost. This just seems different to me since there wasn't a voter decision on these historic protests and one of the main criticisms that were present before the protests was that Kamala was a cop. So I'm surprised I guess. I hope it doesn't fuck it up. I won't be too surprised if it doesn't end up mattering much, but especially if it doesn't, it seems like kind of a confirmation that at least at the moment in this race on the presidential stage, maybe the protests don't matter. Or at least many people who participated in them will see that and feel alienated by the party, just like the Bernie Bros. Not sure what the effect either way will be, but doesn't seem like a step towards party unity, that's for sure.
Those protesting may be upset about the pick, but if, and I mean IF, calmer heads prevail and people intending to vote look at the reality of the situation, they should be able to work with this. Everyone needs to keep in mind that this election is more or less a stop gap and removal of power, nothing progressives want is going to happen in one term, probably not even 2, but we do need to take "logical" steps forward even if that "Forward" isn't in line with your plan. In my opinion she was the right choice to win the election for Biden and get Trump out of office, anything positive after that is going to be gravy for the here and now.

............on a side note, don't kid yourself, the fact that she's a strong black woman that won't back down and makes Trump squirm is a big plus. Also, her being pro-police doesn't mean she won't work on reform, which she's been vocal about. I don't see a big enough negative in this choice for it being the reason Biden loses.

Last edited:
People wonder why the black community supports Biden. There is a lot of history here, but on the biggest stage it's probably because he supports them. He willingly took a backseat to Obama and spend his entire time as VP hyping Obama up. Now he picks a black woman as his VP.

You can come at me and argue about policy all you want, but the optics are clear as day.

JFC, what if he hadn't been special needs? Does a "normal" 8yo become a felon for making a less than astute decision under some degree of duress?
No, a neurotypical and fully able 8 year old child should not be treated this way. What makes this so egregious is that when you are talking about an 8 year old with special needs, you could easily be talking about a child with developmental delays that include delays for socially acceptable behaviors. Part of this delay often extends into mood regulation, and while no 8 year old is great at mood regulation, SN kids are so much worse. It often stems from a place of deep frustration because they do not have the ability to tell you what their problem is. When they are unable to express themselves verbally, you get physical acting out. Anyone who has spent any amount of time with SN kids understands this. A kid might be 8 years old on the calendar, but often times their understanding is that of a much younger child due to developmental delay. So while you think you're putting an 8 year old in hand cuffs, you are really putting an 8 year old with the comprehension capacity of a 5 year old in hand cuffs. This boy got frustrated and it led to the loss of mood regulation. After his mood regulation broke down, he just started tantruming. The problem is that he was considered "too big" to tantrum even though his delay puts his effective age as much younger.

All of this could have been avoided with the right classroom interventions. On top of this, these classroom interventions should be clearly spelled out in this child's IEP. Something tells me that calling the cops is NOT part of the de-escalation techniques outlined in the IEP and behavior intervention plan. An IEP is a legal and binding document which the parent and teachers (and I mean ALL of the child's teachers even the classroom teacher) sign. If my school went this far off my child's IEP and scarred him for life with this incident, you better believe I would sue and I would win.

People wonder why the black community supports Biden. There is a lot of history here, but on the biggest stage it's probably because he supports them. He willingly took a backseat to Obama and spend his entire time as VP hyping Obama up. Now he picks a black woman as his VP.

You can come at me and argue about policy all you want, but the optics are clear as day.
I've always thought that the VP pick is all about what states you can win with that pick and what does the average low-information voter think of the VP. It has little to do with that person's previous policy decisions. The policy that this ticket sets will be what they set it as, even if it is different than either Biden or Harris' previous views.

It's like that Parks and Rec episode where no one in the focus group liked Leslie before she stood up to the Bowling Bully. After Ben beat him up and she stood by him the focus group was more favorable. People vote for a candidate because they like them.

No, a neurotypical and fully able 8 year old child should not be treated this way. What makes this so egregious is that when you are talking about an 8 year old with special needs, you could easily be talking about a child with developmental delays that include delays for socially acceptable behaviors. Part of this delay often extends into mood regulation, and while no 8 year old is great at mood regulation, SN kids are so much worse. It often stems from a place of deep frustration because they do not have the ability to tell you what their problem is. When they are unable to express themselves verbally, you get physical acting out. Anyone who has spent any amount of time with SN kids understands this. A kid might be 8 years old on the calendar, but often times their understanding is that of a much younger child due to developmental delay. So while you think you're putting an 8 year old in hand cuffs, you are really putting an 8 year old with the comprehension capacity of a 5 year old in hand cuffs. This boy got frustrated and it led to the loss of mood regulation. After his mood regulation broke down, he just started tantruming. The problem is that he was considered "too big" to tantrum even though his delay puts his effective age as much younger.

All of this could have been avoided with the right classroom interventions. On top of this, these classroom interventions should be clearly spelled out in this child's IEP. Something tells me that calling the cops is NOT part of the de-escalation techniques outlined in the IEP and behavior intervention plan. An IEP is a legal and binding document which the parent and teachers (and I mean ALL of the child's teachers even the classroom teacher) sign. If my school went this far off my child's IEP and scarred him for life with this incident, you better believe I would sue and I would win.

Getting hit was at least an hourly occurrence for me in a non public school I worked in. These were middle school and high school kids and It never ended in arrest. This was not the way to handle this.

The family is gonna win a lot of money and some people will loose their jobs.

What is everyones thoughts on photo recognition on social media platforms? For example, when uploading a picture to to FaceBook or Instagram it can automatically recognize your friends in the photo and ask if you want to tag them. Facebook just had to pay up $650 Million in an out of court settlement and now Instagram has been sued for having this same feature. Under Illinois privacy law, this feature is illegal because biometric data was collected from users without their authorization. Facebook could be forced to pay up to $5,000 per violation to Illinois residence you used Instagram.

This particular feature the social media platforms offer predate any privacy laws. And so far is in violation of only the privacy laws passed in Illinois.

You biometric data, including facial recognition is protected under privacy laws in Illinois. You must authorize the collection of it and be able to opt out of it.

While Facebook's terms and conditions on this subject were too vague and talked about photo recognition. It didn't mention anything about biometric data. Facebook also did not offer anyway to opt out. So therefor, they are not in compliance with Illinois state privacy law.

Facebook has always been on top of California laws and always being in compliance. In the case of Illinois, it appears they missed the ball and did not catch in time to update their privacy language and options for illinois residence by the time the law went into effect.

Who would have been a better pick?

I've always thought that the VP pick is all about what states you can win with that pick and what does the average low-information voter think of the VP. It has little to do with that person's previous policy decisions. The policy that this ticket sets will be what they set it as, even if it is different than either Biden or Harris' previous views.

It's like that Parks and Rec episode where no one in the focus group liked Leslie before she stood up to the Bowling Bully. After Ben beat him up and she stood by him the focus group was more favorable. People vote for a candidate because they like them.
I think that if protests around racism hadn't erupted the way they did this summer, Gretchen Whitmer would have been a near lock for VP. Young, up Trump's butt, popular, swing state governor...

...not that I think the focus on black women was tokenism. Quite the opposite. The events of this summer just put a lens on the national conversation that suddenly made Whitmer less relevant, and therefore less valuable to the ticket.

The Helicopter that was shot at was a UH-1N from the 1st Helicopter Squadron. These helicopters are painted in the Air Force One blue scheme instead of regular military colors. They are used to carry the president and other VIP's in and out of DC

Here are some updates to Trump's recent EOs

Unemployment: The EO has been modified so that states can opt out of paying the extra $100. Since many states don't have this in the budget, most people in need will be getting an extra $300 a week, not $400 and half of the $600 they have been getting.

Payroll Tax: Trump told the press today that if he wins re election he would extend this EO indefinitely as long as he is president and forgive all deferred taxes. Currently the EO is for just deferring payroll tax. It is still owed and people will need to pay it back. Trump is saying reelect me and you won't have to pay it back and I'll extent it indefinitely.

Back