Political Discussion

What's the latest? Still on track to run out of money by September, which could seriously impact their ability to deliver mail in ballots?
Big reorg yesterday. Hiring freeze. Limitations on overtime. Voluntary early retirement. Doesn't seem like a good strategy when you aren't currently meeting demand. Those cuts are usually seen when demand drops...

Big reorg yesterday. Hiring freeze. Limitations on overtime. Voluntary early retirement. Doesn't seem like a good strategy when you aren't currently meeting demand. Those cuts are usually seen when demand drops...

Not to mention Trump appointed Treasury refusing to disburse USPS bail out money approved by Congress in the stimulus.

This is America, we can try sue over anything. A class action lawsuit has been filed against Geico stating that the discount of 15% provided during mid-Marth through the end of April during the stay at home orders where no one was driving was "woefully inadequate".

The plaintiff says the discounts should have been 30%. And cites that Geico generated an additional $984 million in profit this year when compared to the same time period last year. Because people were not driving accidents were down and much fewer claims being paid out. So all insurance premiums were pretty much pure profit for Geico during the stay at home orders.

The lawsuit goes on to further call out Geico for only applying the 15% discount to new Geico customers or customers who renewed their policies between April 8 and October 7 of this year. Any existing customer who's policy does not come up for renewal during this time period will not get the discount. The discount is being offered as a credit towards policy renewals and not a cash refund like other auto insurance companies did.

While not mentioned in the lawsuit, I have seen people discussing this 15% credit online. Geico raised their rates in June by 15%. So anyone who has renewed their policy in June since the rate increase is still paying the same with the 15% credit. Then they will see their rates go up by 15% in september.

This is America, we can try sue over anything. A class action lawsuit has been filed against Geico stating that the discount of 15% provided during mid-Marth through the end of April during the stay at home orders where no one was driving was "woefully inadequate".

The plaintiff says the discounts should have been 30%. And cites that Geico generated an additional $984 million in profit this year when compared to the same time period last year. Because people were not driving accidents were down and much fewer claims being paid out. So all insurance premiums were pretty much pure profit for Geico during the stay at home orders.

The lawsuit goes on to further call out Geico for only applying the 15% discount to new Geico customers or customers who renewed their policies between April 8 and October 7 of this year. Any existing customer who's policy does not come up for renewal during this time period will not get the discount. The discount is being offered as a credit towards policy renewals and not a cash refund like other auto insurance companies did.

While not mentioned in the lawsuit, I have seen people discussing this 15% credit online. Geico raised their rates in June by 15%. So anyone who has renewed their policy in June since the rate increase is still paying the same with the 15% credit. Then they will see their rates go up by 15% in september.
I get that feeling but it seems pretty insane to think that when you sign a contract with an insurance company to pay a rate that is completely independent of how much you drive (or sometimes they take into account your work commute, which I believe you can update) that they will just start handing money back. If people weren't driving some of their cars at all, they could have switched to a parked car insurance which would have been more than a 50% cut.

Let me get this straight. Geico, one of many insurance companies, gave a discount during lockdown. As far as I know no one else did. I know my State Farm agency did not. Since Geico actually gave a discount they opened themselves to lawsuits for not doing enough despite doing more than literally everyone else who are not being sued?

Let me get this straight. Geico, one of many insurance companies, gave a discount during lockdown. As far as I know no one else did. I know my State Farm agency did not. Since Geico actually gave a discount they opened themselves to lawsuits for not doing enough despite doing more than literally everyone else who are not being sued?

Liberty Mutual gave me a refund of $84. I think it was a 20% or 25% discount from March through the End of May. Most every auto insurance company did give a discount during Covid 19.

Allstate, American Family Insurance, Geico, Liberty Mutual, USAA, SafeCo, Travelers, State Farm and many more.

State Farm did as well, you should check out these links for information:

We're Here For You

We’re all working together to slow the spread of COVID-19 with many of us staying home more and driving less. That means fewer accidents. Because we care about you, we’re announcing the Good Neighbor Relief Program. Returning $2 billion in dividends to Mutual auto policyholders with policies in force from March 20 to May 31. Learn more about the Good Neighbor Relief Program.

Progressive gave us money back as well. 20%.

This is all such a waste of time. The reality is that nobody HAD to do anything, but some companies stepped up and offered a little relief, of course lets not kid ourselves into thinking they actually took any kind of hit, but, hey, it looks good on them either way. Just to toss them in the hat, Farmers, my insurance, offered a discount as well, appreciated of course, but again, they didn't need to.

The Federal government doesn't want to step up or be involved, so everyone does what they think is needed, wanted or whatever, but since the Fed didn't say ANYTHING, nobody is really required to help in any way. Sue all you want, at the end of the day you signed a contract and there is nothing in it regarding "Acts of God". We're sue happy in the US, again, showing our true colors when the chips are down starting from the top.

.......and while we're on the subject of Americans showing their true colors, can I vent for just a moment. Let me start by saying that I know there are people and families who are truly suffering, they live paycheck to paycheck, have the essentials and not much more. My heart goes out to THESE families, but in talking to others during all this, friends, family and acquaintances I just have to pause at the entitlement that some, more than I would have thought, are exhibiting.

"How am I gonna make ends meet?" - I want to say to them, are you really trying or are you waiting for someone else to come up with a solution, again, please keep my opening statement in mind, but for the love of God people, if you're in a financial bind because of our current state of affairs, cancel your triple play from Comcast and get basic cable with a Roku, cancel all those monthly subs you barely use but "have to have", even with auto insurance, if you're not driving to work, change your policy to the bare minimum for now....it'll be a better savings than a discount. I could go on and on, but I don't have the patience, and it just aggravates me more because of those in my first statement who really are in dire need.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but do what YOU can to help yourself in the mean time.

K, I'll step off my soapbox now :)

Won this book on Goodreads and it came in the mail yesterday. Could be an interesting read. Going to start reading it this week.

Attachments

• 1597011487436.png
    1597011487436.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 1597011500958.png
    1597011500958.png
    994.1 KB · Views: 2
Trump's Executive Orders fall short of being able to offer what they promised.

1. The $400 a week expanded Unemployment. The executive requires states to cover 1/4 of the costs of the expanded unemployment. States do not have this money in their budget and many will be pushed underwater and in desperate need of a bailout to avoid bankruptcy if forced to pay an extra $100 per week per unemployment claim. The previous $600 a week expanded unemployment was 100% paid for by the federal government. The most likely outcomes are many people will only see an extra $300 a week. And if the president plays hard ball and says no $300 a week for your state if you don't pay the other $100 people could see nothing.
  2. The Payroll Tax measure doesn't actually reduce the payroll taxes. It differs the due date for the portion of those taxes paid by employees. That means that the extra money you recieve in your paycheck now will be taken out of future paychecks or your tax return. People in need of this stimulus to get by today will only get screwed later after they spend the money and either their paychecks get smaller or they owe more on their taxes.

Just saw this book listed on Goodreads and it sounds like something we all should read to to get an understanding of what's actually going on with out criminal justice system and the flaws that exist that allow innocent people to spend years behind bars.

Smoke but No Fire by Jessica S. Henry
Smoke but No Fire: Convicting the Innocent of Crimes that Never Happened

by
Jessica S. Henry (Goodreads Author)
Release date: Aug 04, 2020
Enter for a chance to win one of three copies of Smoke but No Fire by Jessica S. Henry.

The first book to explore this common but previously undocumented type of wrongful conviction, Smoke but No Fire tells the heartbreaking stories of innocent people convicted of crimes that simply never happened. A suicide is mislabeled a homicide. An accidental fire is mislabeled an arson. Corrupt police plant drugs on an innocent suspect. A false allegation of assault is invented to resolve a custody dispute. With this book, former New York City public defender Jessica S. Henry sheds essential light on a deeply flawed criminal justice system that allows—even encourages—these convictions to regularly occur. Smoke but No Fire promises to be eye-opening reading for legal professionals, students, activists, and the general public alike as it grapples with the chilling reality that far too many innocent people spend real years behind bars for fictional crimes.

Back