Political Discussion

Saw that coming from a mile away. Strong pick, she’s pretty ruthless and will show up Pence if they debate.

Much stronger than Tim Kaine was, that’s for damn sure. She is a safe pick too, unlike Rice who would have dogged by Benghazi. If Biden wins, he should pick Rice Secretary of State for spite.

Last edited:
Instead they're going to be dogged by Harris' proud self-proclamation of being a "top cop" and militant prosecutor in the midst of the largest police protests in history.
Yeah, this makes me think it isn't a very safe pick, but it's hard to gauge majority sentiment about it. Have there been any VP polls?

Instead they're going to be dogged by Harris' proud self-proclamation of being a "top cop" and militant prosecutor in the midst of the largest police protests in history.

You are never going to please everyone. You have to have someone who is going to push the ticket. I mean you could have picked someone like Stacey Abrams, but your average democratic voter has no clue who she is. The only logical choices were Rice or Kamala and to me, Kamala has less negatives than Rice. But I totally understand where you are coming from.

Or maybe there are just legions of male politicians that are basically ignored, while every female politician is particularly evil according to the internet.
Or, the vast majority of politicians in the US, man or woman, are right of center, and they can all be validly criticized for their failures.

The internet, and everywhere, is largely sexist definitely, but barring criticism of women politicians under penalty of sexism is bad. Ideological consistency and policy matter much more to many people.

Or maybe there are just legions of male politicians that are basically ignored, while every female politician is particularly evil according to the internet.
So you think that all the people who have been motivated to protest against police recently for months aren't allowed to be unhappy with this pick or they're sexist? Nobody saying ACAB would like this pick.

So you think that all the people who have been motivated to protest against police recently for months aren't allowed to be unhappy with this pick or they're sexist? Nobody saying ACAB would like this pick.
No of course not. I'm not "happy" with it myself.

It's more the level and excitement of vitriol than them disapproving.

I certainly can't argue against there being a sexism problem, but I definitely was expecting a lot of loud unhappy people for her being picked because it is hard to hate cops and the prison/judicial system without hating state prosecutors. The question I have is how that really falls out numbers wise. It just seems like a really tone deaf pick after the past few months to me.

I certainly can't argue against there being a sexism problem, but I definitely was expecting a lot of loud unhappy people for her being picked because it is hard to hate cops and the prison/judicial system without hating state prosecutors. The question I have is how that really falls out numbers wise. It just seems like a really tone deaf pick after the past few months to me.

Who would have been a better pick?

For sure, but they're trying to get those "moderates" and she has less baggage to them. They are assuming people like us will vote for anyone who opposes Trump (which is true for me). It also doesn't give the GOP much ammunition in that they are currently trying to paint Biden as "Antifa" and having someone that the left literally describes as a "cop" kind of undercuts any ammunition there.

My thing is that people just think that sexism means "I hate her because she's a woman" and it's just so much more complicated than that.

Who would have been a better pick?
For sure, but they're trying to get those "moderates" and she has less baggage to them. They are assuming people like us will vote for anyone who opposes Trump (which is true for me). It also doesn't give the GOP much ammunition in that they are currently trying to paint Biden as "Antifa" and having someone that the left literally describes as a "cop" kind of undercuts any ammunition there.

My thing is that people just think that sexism means "I hate her because she's a woman" and it's just so much more complicated than that.
Yeah, I don't know. VP is always a big game and I rarely understand it. I was just making the observation that this pick specifically seems like a big FU to protestors. I was saying that I don't know how that will affect voting numbers wise. I don't know who would have been the best pick for that, clearly this is what Biden's team thinks is the best pick.

It just seems like picking someone who you know will piss off the most worked up and vocal group of people in the country right now could have negative ramifications. How exactly that will play out I don't know though. I'm sure they are willing to take the risk that it won't make that many people not vote. It certainly shouldn't push anyone to vote for Trump instead.

I’m with you. The memes are already up on another board. These same people were complaining about being vote shamed that the wanted to vote third party when Biden was nominated. 🙄 They also refuse to think Bernie lost of his own accord and there Bernie out when he endorsed Biden. Dam temper tantrums.

Yeah, I don't know. VP is always a big game and I rarely understand it. I was just making the observation that this pick specifically seems like a big FU to protestors. I was saying that I don't know how that will affect voting numbers wise. I don't know who would have been the best pick for that, clearly this is what Biden's team thinks is the best pick.

It just seems like picking someone who you know will piss off the most worked up and vocal group of people in the country right now could have negative ramifications. How exactly that will play out I don't know though. I'm sure they are willing to take the risk that it won't make that many people not vote. It certainly shouldn't push anyone to vote for Trump instead.

If history in any indication real progessives talk a big game, but don't vote like they should. I mean Bernie had a movement, but he got wiped in the primaries. I say that as someone who voted for him in the primary in 2016 and 2020. Ocasio Cortez, Bowman, Omar have proved they can win liberal districts but no progessive other than Bernie has proved that they can win a Senate race, much less the democratic nomination or presidency. I'm just saying progressives talk a big game but they haven't backed it up by voting. I understand the game is rigged somewhat, but you have to overcome that. I think Kamala is about as close to progessive as you are going to get at this current time. Warren was not the right choice because Massachusetts has a Repuplican governor that would have filled the seat with a Republican. Rice has Benghazi attached to her and all the other candidates are not known well enough to move the needle anywhere. I am not saying Kamala is perfect but she excites me a lot more than Tim Kaine.

If history in any indication real progessives talk a big game, but don't vote like they should. I mean Bernie had a movement, but he got wiped in the primaries. I say that as someone who voted for him in the primary in 2016 and 2020. Ocasio Cortez, Bowman, Omar have proved they can win liberal districts but no progessive other than Bernie has proved that they can win a Senate race, much less the democratic nomination or presidency. I'm just saying progressives talk a big game but they haven't backed it up by voting. I understand the game is rigged somewhat, but you have to overcome that. I think Kamala is about as close to progessive as you are going to get at this current time. Warren was not the right choice because Massachusetts has a Repuplican governor that would have filled the seat with a Republican. Rice has Benghazi attached to her and all the other candidates are not known well enough to move the needle anywhere. I am not saying Kamala is perfect but she excites me a lot more than Tim Kaine.
Warren also would have given Trump tons of ammunition (Pocahontas, communism, etc) and he needs anything to grab onto right now.

I mean, I think we are mostly on the same page. I guess to me it just seems like the protests are a more real thing that I am a little more surprised that this pick was tone deaf to than Bernie Bros. I'm not saying the stuff that made people want to vote for Bernie wasn't a big deal, but that's politics vs politics, it was put to a vote, the numbers weren't there so he lost. This just seems different to me since there wasn't a voter decision on these historic protests and one of the main criticisms that were present before the protests was that Kamala was a cop. So I'm surprised I guess. I hope it doesn't fuck it up. I won't be too surprised if it doesn't end up mattering much, but especially if it doesn't, it seems like kind of a confirmation that at least at the moment in this race on the presidential stage, maybe the protests don't matter. Or at least many people who participated in them will see that and feel alienated by the party, just like the Bernie Bros. Not sure what the effect either way will be, but doesn't seem like a step towards party unity, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Back