Political Discussion

Speaking of willful ignorance, there is something I noticed with the influencers I follow from rural America. Many of them are supporting the black lives matter movement. They participated in black out day posting the black tile, have the black lives matter card link in their bio and have the black lives matter logo in their display picture.

Yet confederate flags can be found in the background of their posts, especially a lot of the most recent ones. Whether it's handing in their garage, on the side of a barn or flying on the back of a friends F-350 Diesel Truck.

Their general response to people calling them out for it is unfollow me if you don't like it. A flag isn't racist, people are. I'm not racist.

I'm just trying to comprehend their mindset and make sense of it.

Speaking of willful ignorance, there is something I noticed with the influencers I follow from rural America. Many of them are supporting the black lives matter movement. They participated in black out day posting the black tile, have the black lives matter card link in their bio and have the black lives matter logo in their display picture.

Yet confederate flags can be found in the background of their posts, especially a lot of the most recent ones. Whether it's handing in their garage, on the side of a barn or flying on the back of a friends F-350 Diesel Truck.

Their general response to people calling them out for it is unfollow me if you don't like it. A flag isn't racist, people are. I'm not racist.

*smh response*

See? It would be perfect there! Lol

Only in America would we ever have a situation like this.

Last fall a parent was spreading 5G conspiracy's at PTO meetings. She was calling for the school district to take action to block the cell tower near the school from being upgraded to 5G.

She had great concern that 5G would have negative impacts on students health. And immediate action needed to take place.

However, fast forward to COVID-19, and this same parent thinks COVID-19 is a hoax and is calling for kids to be back in school no mater what in the fall.

So 5G is of great concern. COVID-19 is a hoax.
Welcome to America where the problem with COVID is how it inconveniences us, not how it may effect and or kill us.

I am absolutely here for these racists being outed.

What I find shocking and disheartening is that their racism is so deeply engraved into them, that this is behavior they think is ok to be filmed. Like, what on earth is happening with them when cameras aren't watching???? Ugh. FUCK RACISTS!

A lot of people in the south purely associate it as a symbol of southern pride and (at least giving them the benefit of the doubt) that's really as deep as they ever think about it. Just like they claim to hate yankees as a blanket statement.

There is a willful ignorance involved that whenever they are confronted about it, they refuse to accept that it means anything else and a refusal to care what it represents to others. I'm not sure why that is. I'm glad that it seems at least some people (and organizations) are reconsidering that in these times.

Edit: just want to clarify this is from personal experience growing up here with people I have interacted with. I am sure it does not remotely apply to everyone.

Last edited:
A lot of people in the south purely associate it as a symbol of southern pride and (at least giving them the benefit of the doubt) that's really as deep as they ever think about it.

I grew up with one on my wall (I didn't put it there). I was taught it symbolized state sovereignty over Federal control. Sometime later I realized it meant entirely different things to other people and I considered the fact that displaying a flag is about communicating a message the viewer will understand not one you expect the viewer to read your mind.

I grew up with one on my wall (I didn't put it there). I was taught it symbolized state sovereignty over Federal control. Sometime later I realized it meant entirely different things to other people and I considered the fact that displaying a flag is about communicating a message the viewer will understand not one you expect the viewer to read your mind.
Well put. I wish more people tried to be conscious of that.

There are reports that there are already a couple hundred people lined up and camped out to get their spot at Trumps rally on Saturday.

Local officials are concerned about the spread of COVID-19.

A lot of people in the south purely associate it as a symbol of southern pride and (at least giving them the benefit of the doubt) that's really as deep as they ever think about it. Just like they claim to hate yankees as a blanket statement.

There is a willful ignorance involved that whenever they are confronted about it, they refuse to accept that it means anything else and a refusal to care what it represents to others. I'm not sure why that is. I'm glad that it seems at least some people (and organizations) are reconsidering that in these times.

Edit: just want to clarify this is from personal experience growing up here with people I have interacted with. I am sure it does not remotely apply to everyone.

A lot of those same people think the Civil War was more about taxes than slavery.

Southern Pride is a fucked up thing. My wife and I had a knock down argument this evening because she thinks the Op Ed calling for Dixie Chicks to change their name is insane. She hit me with Dixie is a place. I hit her with that's not so far removed from the woman in Richmond saying people are trying to erase white history- which to @DownIsTheNewUp 's point above is an easy leap to make because I was taught in history class that the civil war was mostly economic. I loved the confederate flag when I was a kid, not because I was racist but because it was on the top of an orange charger. Systematic racism is actually what we were actively raised in and people don't necessarily understand how symbols of what they view as their culture are harmful to others.

Speaking of history class
A lot of those same people think the Civil War was more about taxes than slavery.

A lot of these people also refer to the Civil War as the "War Between the States" or the "War of Norther/Yankee Aggression".

Speaking of history class memories @Lee Newman, I have one as well. Back in probably like 2002 or 2003 when I was in US History class I had a teacher who's first teaching job was in the deep south. She was probably in her 30's so I expect this incident happened in the 90's. But in the school distract she was teaching in, all the text books used War of Norther Aggression, never once mentioning the Civil War. And she was expected to teach it that way. She mentioned to her class that in other parts of the country call this war the Civil War.

This resulted in outrage from parents, she got called into a meeting with the super intendant. She got into serious trouble. She nearly lost her job, was placed on probation and informed that she had to stick to and teach whats in the curriculum and text books and couldn't add her own spins. If she did so again she would loose her job.

Southern Pride is a fucked up thing. My wife and I had a knock down argument this evening because she thinks the Op Ed calling for Dixie Chicks to change their name is insane. She hit me with Dixie is a place. I hit her with that's not so far removed from the woman in Richmond saying people are trying to erase white history- which to @DownIsTheNewUp 's point above is an easy leap to make because I was taught in history class that the civil war was mostly economic. I loved the confederate flag when I was a kid, not because I was racist but because it was on the top of an orange charger. Systematic racism is actually what we were actively raised in and people don't necessarily understand how symbols of what they view as their culture are harmful to others.

Enlighten me please. What is the origin of the phrase Dixie?

Back