Political Discussion

“When you do testing to that extent, you are gonna find more people, you’re gonna find more cases," Trump said. "So I said to my people, 'Slow the testing down please.' They test and they test. We have tests that people don’t know what's going on."

Bolton's e-book leaked....usually I wouldn't steal a book...but the guy's a douche.

shouldn't be too hard to find....if you really care to read it.

Things didn't go well for Trump Yesterday.
Never thought I'd say it, but God bless Tiktok memes

So Trump is doubling down on xenophobia so hard that he is screwing over businesses, research and agriculture? Dumb as hell.

Summary. Trump and AG William Bar are creating a setup where if Tump loses in November they can claim "voter fraud" over mail in ballots and say "Well, actually no... We didn't loose." and will use the number of mail in ballots in their case.

Reading through the twitter thread there are a lot of people who are missing the point of this bad design.

As a web developer myself, that web page is absolute garbage.

1. It's not responsive and the desktop view is shown on mobile forcing you to scroll left to right and right to left to fill out the form. More people access the web these days on mobile devices to fill out forms like this than desktop.
  2. All the streets should not be in one giant dropdown. You should be able to type your street and have the form auto detect / match the street. If anyone in UI/UX or QA was involved in this project they would have flagged this design and told them to take a hike. The fact that it exist tells us either none of the above were involved in this project, or they were overruled.
  3. The form lacks accessibility.

This online form checks off every box for what not to do / bad practices. Its purpose is supposed to make it easier / move convenient to request an absentee ballot to vote by mail online. It fails to deliver that and makes it so cumbersome that people give up.

Here are how people are responding in the twitter thread who don't think it's a form of voter suppression.

• Use a desktop computer instead of your phone to fill out the form.
  • If you don't like the way the online form works, there are other ways you can fill out the form. For example you can print it out, fill it out and mail it in. Or you can fill out a form at your local city hall.
  • Calling it voter suppression is pure liberal propaganda.
  • Deal with it. If you want to request a mail in ballot online fill out the form. It's the least you can do.

I also just noticed you can't type in your zip code. You have to scroll through all the cities in the postal "Postal City" field. To make matters worse, the zip codes don't exist in the drop down. So what happens when the "Postal City" has more than 1 zip code?

This explains perfectly well to me how people did not receive their requested mail in ballot by primary day because it was mailed to the wrong address.

So annoying that every time a poll is mentioned, people repeat the same stupid stuff that has been repeated ad naseum about how 2016 "proved polls are wrong." Then they start posting pictures of NYT Hillary probability to win to "prove it."

The polls were not wrong in 2016. Hillary won by 3 points nationally, which is pretty much on par with the margin of error of the 4 point lead the last polls were stating. A lot of analysts misinterpreted this because they didn’t factor in that the game was played with the electoral college and that she would lose those 3 key states.

Nate Silver actually did a fantastic job with his analysis. He had Hillary with the win at 62%, which is far from a sure thing. That’s a roll of 5 or 6 on a 6-sided dice. He even said ahead of time that a defeat could happen if Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin fell to Trump and that if one went his way, all three were likely to go.

People need to understand that polls come with a standard error and that all hits within that range is actually what the poll predicted.

The polls were not wrong in 2016. Hillary won by 3 points nationally, which is pretty much on par with the margin of error of the 4 point lead the last polls were stating. A lot of analysts misinterpreted this because they didn’t factor in that the game was played with the electoral college and that she would lose those 3 key states.

Nate Silver actually did a fantastic job with his analysis. He had Hillary with the win at 62%, which is far from a sure thing. That’s a roll of 5 or 6 on a 6-sided dice. He even said ahead of time that a defeat could happen if Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin fell to Trump and that if one went his way, all three were likely to go.

People need to understand that polls come with a standard error and that all hits within that range is actually what the poll predicted.

Besides the point that one time polls were wrong does not throw out the 100’s of time there were correct. People need to understand that there is always uncertainty when science is done. Especially in social science.

I had the opportunity to get out yesterday and try to do my small part to help change things for the better by trying to get out the vote for a real progressive candidate. I have to say it felt pretty good, and feels really good to read all the coverage today.
C862B3E8-9727-4141-A235-9E12C0BD063C.jpeg

Back