Political Discussion

Announcing his reversal of non-discriminatory protections for LGBTQ health care on the anniversary of the Pulse shooting and having the rally in Tulsa on Juneteenth is no accident or coincidence. If you believe otherwise, you have a major problem.

Trump sucks. Biden sucks.

Trump sucked. Hilary sucked.

when are we going say enough with red and blue ? For real ? Ok I’ll see myself out.

Both this article and the one I posted earlier today show things are going to get bad, really bad if action is not taken by lawmakers. And that's not even considering a second wave hits.

The economy is not going to resemble anything near normal until at least well into next year. An estimate has that 40% of the temporary job losses we saw because of the shut down could become permanent. Many companies are using this to hit reset and rethink their workforce. They are looking at how to do things more efficiently, invest in automation, do more with less, and is this job something that makes more sense financially to outsource. They also will be slow to hire back those who were laid off. They certainly will not until the economy has recovered and likely never bring staffing levels to where they were when businesses returns to pre-pandemic levels.

The Republicans show no interest in extending expanded unemployment benefits or issuing an additional stimulus. They will allow all aid to expire. This means that protections from evictions ends the same time expanded unemployment benefits do. Student loan payments comeback in October as well as Mortgage payments for anyone who took the 6 month pause.

All unemployment benefits for gig / self contractors end along with the expanded unemployment benefits. Anyone who was working for themselves or gigs who is still unable to do so because of COVID restrictions will no longer be able to collect unemployment.

1/3 of renters were unable to pay in full or at all their rent on June 1st.

A wave of mass evictions and homelessness is expected to hit later this year.

The economy is not going to resemble anything near normal until at least well into next year. An estimate has that 40% of the temporary job losses we saw because of the shut down could become permanent. Many companies are using this to hit reset and rethink their workforce. They are looking at how to do things more efficiently, invest in automation, do more with less, and is this job something that makes more sense financially to outsource. They also will be slow to hire back those who were laid off. They certainly will not until the economy has recovered and likely never bring staffing levels to where they were when businesses returns to pre-pandemic levels.

Interesting aspects to think about: Companies really don't need the office space they thought they did. So, commercial real estate is going to take a hit. And along with that all the employees of those buildings: maintenance, janitorial staff, engineers, property managers, cafes, etc.

People don't need to "dress up" anymore to go to work. I certainly don't need to freshen up my wardrobe for more working from home. Clothing companies will see a hit too.

Catering companies that focus on lunch deliveries in offices. Heck, any restaurant that relied on office workers for their breakfast and lunch time rushes.

Interesting aspects to think about: Companies really don't need the office space they thought they did. So, commercial real estate is going to take a hit. And along with that all the employees of those buildings: maintenance, janitorial staff, engineers, property managers, cafes, etc.

People don't need to "dress up" anymore to go to work. I certainly don't need to freshen up my wardrobe for more working from home. Clothing companies will see a hit too.

Catering companies that focus on lunch deliveries in offices. Heck, any restaurant that relied on office workers for their breakfast and lunch time rushes.

That's one thing thats coming up where I work. The 10 year lease for the skyscraper we are in is coming up in less than 2 years. The building we are in was sold to a Chinese investor for a couple billion a year and half or so ago. We were totally expecting to relocate our office when our lease was up.

One of the things our CEO talked about during meetings is they are glad they haven't committed to new office space prior to the pandemic. All property prices were sky high. We are likely looking at a communal office with a much smaller footprint in the future now where many people primarily work remotely but have the option to come in when needed. We might also have to relocate out of Boston itself because the cost of real-estate is simply too high. It has more than doubled in the last 10 years for office space.

Sure, working from home people generally don't need to dress up. But it's regional. I'm in advertising so I really don't need to dress up. But Boston has a lot of Insurance, Investment and Banking industry. And most of these offices are always business formal. Knowing some people who work at these places, they are still expected to dress in business formal at home. Well, at least their top for the zoom calls. Tie, jacket and all. I'm sure they can get pass on the pants if they don't tell anyone and don't have any camera slip ups.

The North East and Mid Atlantic can have very formal and conservative dress code policies.

This is also apparently part of why Devin Wenig departed as CEO of eBay.

Having to explain to my mother (on FB no less) why a news article from a known propaganda "news" site that links to a "poll" from an unofficial, non-clinical randomized study posted by a "polling organization" that makes its money off offering market research and advertising opportunities to pharmaceutical companies, which is basically an unofficial social media site that happens to have physicians on it, on hydroxychloroquine efficacy on COVID-19 is bullshit is not how I planned on spending my afternoon. But here I am.

I'm so disappointed in the ability of seemingly intelligent people to swallow utter nonsense due to political blind spots. It astounds me.

Last edited:
So, here's the thing, I live in a suburb of North Phoenix called Peoria. It is an affluent city where the demographic is 85% caucasian. The majority of people in the city (some 177k by last count) are working professionals and business owners. With all of the recent social unrest, protesting, and speaking out about systemic racism or race issues there is finally a forum for citizens to engage with Peoria Police leadership on community issues and policies. This has, historically, never been available in this city as most approaches to departmental policy has been internal or at the behest of the city council or mayor. Even at the council level, citizen evaluations/recommendations/etc. are only ever given cursory reviews before moving on to the next order of business. I have been at these meetings before, at best, citizen feedback is granted weight only when delivered eloquently by a person who looks the part of the main demographic. If you aren't wearing a suit or something, good luck getting any council member to listen to you.

But now, the societal climate has changed. Now the council members are more engaged and will be attending these police community review sessions. And I AM HERE FOR IT. I have been preparing a guidance/recommendation presentation on police use of force and the changes necessary to departmental policies, practices, and training. These meetings, and community presentations, will be reviewed by a panel and final policy recommendations will go through the council and be delivered to the Chief of Police and Assistant Chiefs. I plan to give as eloquent of a presentation as possible, wearing my business suit, so that they might actually listen.

I know that people are organizing and protesting in their own ways and I support that wholeheartedly. This is the way I know how to protest, to push for systemic change at the only level I know I have a voice, the local level. I am hoping that it leads to drastic policy changes for the city. I know other suburbs, and Phoenix itself, are holding these same types of review sessions in an effort to change things at a state level. I also know that the state governing agency for law enforcement officer in AZ (the org that licenses the officers in this state) will be attending some of these meetings. I am pushing for change in the only way I feel qualified at the moment.

Only in America would we ever have a situation like this.

Last fall a parent was spreading 5G conspiracy's at PTO meetings. She was calling for the school district to take action to block the cell tower near the school from being upgraded to 5G.

She had great concern that 5G would have negative impacts on students health. And immediate action needed to take place.

However, fast forward to COVID-19, and this same parent thinks COVID-19 is a hoax and is calling for kids to be back in school no mater what in the fall.

So 5G is of great concern. COVID-19 is a hoax.

Only in America would we ever have a situation like this.

Last fall a parent was spreading 5G conspiracy's at PTO meetings. She was calling for the school district to take action to block the cell tower near the school from being upgraded to 5G.

She had great concern that 5G would have negative impacts on students health. And immediate action needed to take place.

However, fast forward to COVID-19, and this same parent thinks COVID-19 is a hoax and is calling for kids to be back in school no mater what in the fall.

So 5G is of great concern. COVID-19 is a hoax.

There are people over here who believe that 5G causes COVID-19 o_O

Back