Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

I've never once read a review of someone purchasing just the cartridge. Generally people seem to say they like them when they come included with a Pro-ject turntable, but that's all you ever hear of them. That alone says something to me.
You do hear some bad on the Blue Point Special. It’s said to be bright.

I've never once read a review of someone purchasing just the cartridge. Generally people seem to say they like them when they come included with a Pro-ject turntable, but that's all you ever hear of them. That alone says something to me.
There's a guy in a vinyl group I'm a part of who swears by his Moonstone. My dad's got a Blue Point No 2 on his 2Xperience that I've heard in action, and it's definitely a pleasant listen.

I got sent a Songbird by accident (long story) earlier this year. It was genuinely good;

1607269161086.png

Ultimately, the 'cheap' ones have been around for eons and this tends to reduce the excitement toward them because we do tend toward the new and shiny. Things from the Blackbird and up are technically interesting bits of kit with some interesting virtues. I'm not a fan of high output MCs but I would say that, if this is an itch you need to scratch, Sumiko is very good at it.

@Mrjay07 Great price. You could always get a MP500 stylus later if you want to go top of the line. I’ve got no experience with it, but have read no shim is required.
I has a horrible/lively feeling you of all people would say that!
Need to have a serious think about how I hide it from the Better half!

So I ended up losing the auction for the MP500.
I'm now looking at either the AT-OC9ML/II or AT VN740ML.
Which would best suit my Rega P3 and what do they both offer up.

I can only speak to the VM740ML but in comparison to the MP200 I found that it offers a better level of detail retrieval without sounding in any way bright. The Nag had an overarching, well, some might say warmth, but when I switched I started hearing bits and pieces on albums that I'd not really noticed. So it's almost like the Nag buries the detail to focus on a big cuddly, comfy sound while the 740ml brings out the detail and is possibly a touch more neutral than warm.

Of the two the 740ml was my preferred

My favorite cart is the Nagaoka MP200 which is on my X1. It’s not only in my favorite color, purple, but I love how bright and clear the sound is.

I also have the Grado Opus 3 cart which is good too. I had the Blue 2 previously, and I would have to say that the Opus 3 was a nice step up from the Blue 2. I felt the latter “muddied” up the sound a little bit.

Either should be fine on your Rega.

The OC9/MLII has lower moving mass and for improved tracking and detail.

The OC9/MLII, due to its non user replaceable stylus will have a better alignment of the cantilever to the coils.

The VM740 has a user replaceable stylus. It’s convenient, but that’s it’s only advantage. That and it’s a MM, so no MC stage needed, but you’ve got the Insight.

Well, I can now say I have experienced two cartridges. Kind of!
Did my first cart change yesterday. Had to use Rega's free alignment tool that came with the table due the my Geodisc not turning up. All in all, took around 90 mins at a calm, steady pace.
Even out the box the AT33PTG/II sounds so much better than the Exact 2.
I feel like there's another layer of depth & clarity been peeled back from my system.
I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes once 100 hours are put into it.20210109_133914.jpg20210109_133929.jpg20210109_133949.jpg20210108_175500.jpg

Well, I can now say I have experienced two cartridges. Kind of!
Did my first cart change yesterday. Had to use Rega's free alignment tool that came with the table due the my Geodisc not turning up. All in all, took around 90 mins at a calm, steady pace.
Even out the box the AT33PTG/II sounds so much better than the Exact 2.
I feel like there's another layer of depth & clarity been peeled back from my system.
I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes once 100 hours are put into it.View attachment 83203View attachment 83204View attachment 83205View attachment 83206
Double check your alignment when the GeoDisc shows. The MoFi will have the cartridge noticeably forward in the headshell.

The Rega alignment is closer to Stevenson- set for the lowest distortion at the inner grooves. The MoFi is Baerwald which achieves lower average distortion over the entire playing surface.

Double check your alignment when the GeoDisc shows. The MoFi will have the cartridge noticeably forward in the headshell.

The Rega alignment is closer to Stevenson- set for the lowest distortion at the inner grooves. The MoFi is Baerwald which achieves lower average distortion over the entire playing surface.
Yeah, I thought that would be best. It'll hopefully turn up in next couple of days so I can double check it next weekend.
Very nice so far though!
Enjoy your Sunday Sir!😎

Back