Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

The VDH is $1327 here. There are lots of options at that price point. Good info though- this one flies under the radar.

That’s pretty much the direct conversion, to within a dollar almost, of the U.K. price of £999 at today’s exchange rate!

Great thread... In the last 7 or 8 years

Rega Elys. It was what it was. If you've a Rega it's a good starting offpoint but not going to rock any socks

Ortofon Bronze... It went on... It came off again. Life is too short to spend it via that cart

Nagaoka MP200. Loved it on the Rega. It was the antithesis of the Bronze. Would track a hare through a forest. Its a warm, cuddly fat purple bundle of honey sounding warmness. But...

AT VM740ML made me realise what the nag gives up. I don't find it bright. It's analytical but not to the point that anything less than pristine is unlistenable, its been great across just about every genre. I'd like to try the shibata at somepoint (or even the special line) but I'm massively happy with the 740.

Rega Elys. It was what it was. If you've a Rega it's a good starting offpoint but not going to rock any socks

Ortofon Bronze... It went on... It came off again. Life is too short to spend it via that cart

Nagaoka MP200. Loved it on the Rega. It was the antithesis of the Bronze. Would track a hare through a forest. Its a warm, cuddly fat purple bundle of honey sounding warmness. But...

AT VM740ML made me realise what the nag gives up. I don't find it bright. It's analytical but not to the point that anything less than pristine is unlistenable, its been great across just about every genre. I'd like to try the shibata at somepoint (or even the special line) but I'm massively happy with the 740.
I think you may be my British twin!

So the AT VM740ML is a good match for Rega P3?

So the AT VM740ML is a good match for Rega P3?
I think it's a good match for anything to be honest. But the brief time it was on the RP3 it was great and its balls out brilliant on the 1210GR

I think it's a good match for anything to be honest. But the brief time it was on the RP3 it was great and its ball out brilliant on the 1210GR
Cool.
Will definitely consider it when changing the Exact. And it's substantially cheaper than a Nagaoka MP300!
Cheers!

Cool.
Will definitely consider it when changing the Exact. And it's substantially cheaper than a Nagaoka MP300!
Cheers!
And you can switch stylus through the range too so if you want to try the 750 or 760 it's an unclip/ reclip job. I hated changing the cart on the rega.

And you can switch stylus through the range too so if you want to try the 750 or 760 it's an unclip/ reclip job. I hated changing the cart on the rega.
I've not had to do it yet. Exact is coming up to 2 yrs of use. Not sure how long it would normally last but I'm keen to try something other than another Rega. Not that I have a problem with them. I've loved the sound from my TT.

The VDH is $1327 here. There are lots of options at that price point. Good info though- this one flies under the radar.

There are plenty of options here too but thus far, the DDT-II has seen off all the ones I've tried. If you can work with the odd tracking force (1.65g), odd output (0.65mv- which tends to clip a 60dB gain stage) and that it is quite sensitive to impedance settings, it's monumentally good. I really want its bigger brother though and not simply because it has the weirdest name of any cartridge I know.

1605881907656.png

There are plenty of options here too but thus far, the DDT-II has seen off all the ones I've tried. If you can work with the odd tracking force (1.65g), odd output (0.65mv- which tends to clip a 60dB gain stage) and that it is quite sensitive to impedance settings, it's monumentally good. I really want its bigger brother though and not simply because it has the weirdest name of any cartridge I know.

View attachment 75684
Using the acronym DDT for a cart is pretty weird too.

What’s the difference between the 740ML and the 95ML? I know the cartridge bodies are different material, but what does that equate to sonically?

What’s the difference between the 740ML and the 95ML? I know the cartridge bodies are different material, but what does that equate to sonically?
I think that sonically the 740 is supposed to be more in line with the 540 (which replaced the 440) just with a different body and the ability to switch up and down the 7xx range.

And no idea. None whatsoever. I'd imagine it'll be the Ben Johnson version of the 95ml

View attachment 75684
Fucking Religious Original Gangster??😁

So @Ed Selley - I believe you've heard both these carts, but maybe not back to back.

DDT vs Hana ML?

Pretty close in price in the US. I have a feeling that this is a no wrong answer questions, but maybe if you know some of the standout elements of the sound or performance of each. I'm not in the market at the moment, but I keep thinking I want to finally give an MC a try when the time comes. You bring up some good points with the DDT's quirks, but obviously the strong endorsement caught my attention.

So @Ed Selley - I believe you've heard both these carts, but maybe not back to back.

DDT vs Hana ML?

Pretty close in price in the US. I have a feeling that this is a no wrong answer questions, but maybe if you know some of the standout elements of the sound or performance of each. I'm not in the market at the moment, but I keep thinking I want to finally give an MC a try when the time comes. You bring up some good points with the DDT's quirks, but obviously the strong endorsement caught my attention.

The Hana is a fine cartridge; well made, great measurements (both in terms of what comes out of it and what it needs going in) and it won't ever be a disappointment. If you can accomodate the Van den Hul though, it- and I appreciate the utter uselessness of this line- just does music better. Nearly four years after it turned up, it still has the ability to make me stop what I'm doing and pay attention to it in a way that very little else does.

The Hana is a fine cartridge; well made, great measurements (both in terms of what comes out of it and what it needs going in) and it won't ever be a disappointment. If you can accomodate the Van den Hul though, it- and I appreciate the utter uselessness of this line- just does music better. Nearly four years after it turned up, it still has the ability to make me stop what I'm doing and pay attention to it in a way that very little else does.
Now you have me wanting one of these.

Back