Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

I threw this over in the equipment thread, but I’m in the market for a new Stylus/Cartridge. I’m next in line for the Darlington Tour ‘21, so if I like that it’ll slide into my pre-amp spot.

Next is stylus. I’ve got an Ortofon 2m Blue with an estimate of about 200-250 hours on it. I’m not sure if I want to buy another stylus for it, or if I want to try something new. Looking to spend less than $500. I love the sound I get with it, but the highs (like cymbal hits and things) are a little flat to me. I love the mid-range sounds with it. Guitar sounds great, and the bass is nice, but not too much, which I like. This could be other weaknesses in my setup, I’m sure, but wondering what Cartidges I should look into to get the most bang for my Buck right now.

I have a Fluance RT-85, but recently switched over to a Denon DP-A100 that was gifted to me.

I thought about buying another Denon cartridge for the Denon (this one has a broken stylus), but the Darlington might not work with a MC cartridge and I’m not sure I have the right setup to slide in the Bellari MT502 step up transformer that was given to me with the turntable.

What should I look into that would play nice with my setup?

I’ve read this thread and the Grado Gold3, Opus 3, the cartridge with the Green Bay Packers logo on it interest me. Anything I should look at?

The two Grados are great cartridges. I really liked the Gold and the fact that it has a removable stylus makes it a really nice option in terms of value for money in that you can swap them out. Also the 8mz stylus is a built in big jump upgrade the first time you swap.

That said, and all things being equal the Opus3 is just better. I loved that cartridge. It’s taken quite a jump to a fancy MC at almost twice the price for me to upgrade. They do give a trade in discount when you swap for a new and buy direct from them but it’s going to work out more than the $150 each time for an 8mz stylus. Also, if you get the opus3 make sure to get the High Output version if you’re going to use the Darlington or another phono preamp with a fixed gain.

I haven’t heard the Goldring I’m afraid, @AnthonyI is the man in the know there.

That said the blue is a nice enough cart and you have only used 1/4 of its life, I’d be looking to flog it if you’re not going to keep it running.

I was under the impression that the 1000 hr life was a talltale told by the manufacturer. I certainly don’t notice any degradation, yet, but wanted to get in front of it if the “real” lifespan is about 300 hrs.

The Gold with the eventual 8mz upgrade does sound nice, but this Denon TT isn’t on the list of hum/no hum tables, so I don’t know if it plays well with it.

I was under the impression that the 1000 hr life was a talltale told by the manufacturer. I certainly don’t notice any degradation, yet, but wanted to get in front of it if the “real” lifespan is about 300 hrs.

The Gold with the eventual 8mz upgrade does sound nice, but this Denon TT isn’t on the list of hum/no hum tables, so I don’t know if it plays well with it.

Honestly not in my experience. I ran the Grado Gold for 1200 and it was still fine and the Opus for close to 1800 and it was still ok. The blue did start to degrade a bit around 1000 but not before and I wasn’t as hot on cleaning my records back then, I started doing that properly about halfway through owning it.

I threw this over in the equipment thread, but I’m in the market for a new Stylus/Cartridge. I’m next in line for the Darlington Tour ‘21, so if I like that it’ll slide into my pre-amp spot.

Next is stylus. I’ve got an Ortofon 2m Blue with an estimate of about 200-250 hours on it. I’m not sure if I want to buy another stylus for it, or if I want to try something new. Looking to spend less than $500. I love the mid-range sounds with it. Guitar sounds great, and the bass is nice, but not too much, which I like. But the highs (like cymbal hits and things) are a little flat to me. This could be other weaknesses in my setup, I’m sure, but wondering what Cartidges I should look into to get the most bang for my Buck right now.

I have a Fluance RT-85, but recently switched over to a Denon DP-A100 that was gifted to me.

I thought about buying another Denon cartridge for the Denon (this one has a broken stylus), but the Darlington might not work with a MC cartridge and I’m not sure I have the right setup to slide in the Bellari MT502 step up transformer that was given to me with the turntable.

What should I look into that would play nice with my setup?

I’ve read this thread and the Grado Gold3, Opus 3, and the cartridge with the Green Bay Packers logo on it interest me. Anything else I should look at? Thanks.
Here's the thing with a cartridge in my opinion, what do you want to spend on it as time goes by?

That being said, I would give the Goldring E3 a strong nod just on "bang for your buck" and it has a replaceable stylus. I'm reluctantly torn on the E3 over the Gold v3 for a couple of reasons. Cost, the Gold will cost you a bit more, but when it's time to swap the stylus the 8MZ replacement puts it past the E3. BUT, I would go with the Opus3 as @Joe Mac recommended, hands down a beautiful cart for the money, no replaceable stylus, but I think the trade in cost is well worth keeping it spinning.

I love my Denon DL-103R above all the above mentioned, but I have yet to find a vendor/supplier that can retip it with a manufacturer discount, so you're re-buying the cart at full price every time.

If your considering spending Denon money, I would maybe bump your budget just a hair and go with the Goldring 1042, it's an MM cart and has a replaceable stylus..........it's also the best of the bunch above in terms of sound and overall price for what it delivers.

Hope this helps a little :)

Both of these help a lot. I’m thinking of buying another pre-amp and cartridge and setting the Fluance up in my office. If I still have 3/4 of life left in that it’ll be great to put it back on the Fluance and listen to that while I work. Then, I’ll decide which new carrridge to put on the Denon. I’m willing to put about a Grand a year into upkeep. So, a cartridge without a replaceable stylus wouldn’t be the worst. Lots to think about and lots of reading to do. Thanks.

So here's my list for those interested. I touched on it a bit above, but here's the official "upgrade" path. When you look at this the following is implied, that each step will bring better sound than the previous with the cost also being taken into consideration. These are MY opinions based on listening to all of these over time on MY gear. I can't bring myself to go near and or over the $1K mark.

Goldring E3 MM
Threaded body - Replaceable stylus
$170.00 (Stylus $125.00)

Grado Gold v3 MM
Nut and screw - Replaceable stylus
$260.00 (Stylus - Highly recommend replacing it with an 8MZ $175.00)

Grado Opus3 MM
Threaded body - High and Low Output available
$265 (Stylus - Factory replacement/exchange 20% discount)

Goldring 1042 MM
$575.00 (Stylus $375.00)

Ortofon Quintet Blue MC
Threaded body
$525 (Stylus - Factory replacement/exchange 25% discount)

Hana SL MC
Nut and screw - High and Low Output available
$750 (Stylus - Factory replacement/exchange 30% discount)

Honorable Mention:
Ortofon Quintet Bronze MC

Threaded body
$840 (Stylus - Factory replacement/exchange 30% discount)
Great cart, but it didn't make the list based on sound quality and cost compared to the Hana SL sitting as my favorite. While sounding really good, the Hana, for me, has a better sound signature and a tab bit more warm. I couldn't justify the purchase price and upkeep cost compared to the Hana SL.

Last edited:
So here's my list for those interested. I touched on it a bit above, but here's the official "upgrade" path. When you look at this the following is implied, that each step will bring better sound than the previous with the cost also being taken into consideration. These are MY opinions based on listening to all of these over time on MY gear. I can't bring myself to go near and or over the $1K mark.

Goldring E3 MM
$170.00 (Stylus $125.00)

Grado Gold v3 MM
$260.00 (Stylus - Highly recommend replacing it with an 8MZ $150.00)

Grado Opus3 MM

Goldring 1042 MM
$575.00 (Stylus $375.00)

Ortofon Quintet Blue MC
Threaded body

Hana SL MC

Honorable Mention:

Threaded body
Great cart, but it didn't make the list based on sound quality and cost compared to the Hana SL sitting as my favorite. While sounding really good, the Hana, for me, has a better sound signature and a tab bit more warmth. I couldn't justify the purchase price and upkeep cost compared to the Hana SL.
So looking at this list, I assume it is safe to say that the Bronze slots in between the Blur and the Hana?

Also, what are your thoughts on the 8mz vs. the Opus?

So looking at this list, I assume it is safe to say that the Bronze slots in between the Blur and the Hana?

If the Bronze "had" to go somewhere on the list, then yes, I would say it sits in between those two. As for the 8MZ / Opus3, I'm all in on the Opus3 over the Gold/8MZ combo. I would say the deciding factor is where you sit on having to send the cart in for replacement, outside of that, again, Opus3 for me.

Goldring E3 MM
$170.00 (Stylus $125.00)

Grado Gold v3 MM

Grado Opus3 MM

Goldring 1042 MM
$575.00 (Stylus $375.00)

Ortofon Quintet Blue MC
Threaded body

Hana SL MC

Honorable Mention:

Threaded body
Great cart, but it didn't make the list based on sound quality and cost compared to the Hana SL sitting as my favorite. While sounding really good, the Hana, for me, has a better sound signature and a tab bit more warm. I couldn't justify the purchase price and upkeep cost compared to the Hana SL.
Great list! I know the prices are more about tiers, but if anyone is interested in Goldring, it's a UK company. So, for US buyers, their carts/styli are considerably cheaper when ordered direct from the UK, with no import surcharge or VAT.
For example:

Great list! I know the prices are more about tiers, but if anyone is interested in Goldring, it's a UK company. So, for US buyers, their carts/styli are considerably cheaper when ordered direct from the UK, with no import surcharge or VAT.
For example:
Even better, thanks for the link :)

I agree with @AnthonyI

My take is that I think that if I had a gold3 I’d find it hard to go beyond just getting 8mz styli. It’s a big upgrade on the normal gold and good value for money if you’ve already got the cartridge.

However, all things being equal the opus3 is just better. It’s not that I can say it’s better at this or that in particular, it’s more that it takes everything that Grado are good at and amps it up a level or two.

Goldring E3 MM
$170.00 (Stylus $125.00)

Grado Gold v3 MM

Grado Opus3 MM

Goldring 1042 MM
$575.00 (Stylus $375.00)

Ortofon Quintet Blue MC
Threaded body

Hana SL MC

Honorable Mention:

Threaded body
8MZ styli are $175 now.

FWIW I generally shoot for 1000 - 1200 hrs on my carts. I always play clean records. And, clean stylus regularly. Never had any issues nor heard any loss of sound quality.

I lost a few recs once to a bad stylus but that was a new defective cartridge many yrs back.

I keep a little pad close and put down one slash per lp side. I count each side @ 20 minutes so 1hr play per every 3 slashes.

This is my 1st HANA cart (ML) so we will see how it does. About 340 hrs on it give or take. 🤞 I’ll start getting nervous playing favorite Recs around 800 hrs. :).

I had Shure V15s for many years. I really miss user replacement stylus.

Last edited:
FWIW I generally shoot for 1000 - 1200 hrs on my carts. I always play clean records. And, clean stylus regularly. Never had any issues nor heard any loss of sound quality.

I lost a few recs once to a bad stylus but that was a new defective cartridge many yrs back.

I keep a little pad close and put down one slash per lp side. I count each side @ 20 minutes so 1hr play per every 3 slashes.

This is my 1st HANA cart (ML) so we will see how it does. About 340 hrs on it give or take. 🤞 I’ll start getting nervous playing favorite Recs around 800 hrs. :).

I had Shure V15s for many years. I really miss user replacement stylus.
So organised.
Ive had my stylus 2yrs and am now thinking about rep,acing without noticing any sound issue - still I worry haha
I always spin clean records and keep stylus clean with magic sponge dab. Dunno if this makes huge amounts of difference to longevity tho.

I have a ways to go on my Opus 3 but anyone ever been able to A/B the Grado Opus3 with the Platimum 3 ? Might consider tading up to the Platimum when that time comes. I have heard the previous series Platium and Sonata in the past and always loved them ecspecially on vocals.

Back