Phish

I love Goose, would love to see them and Trey, but nowhere is close.

But also I was kinda anticipating a fall Phish tour. I was hoping to finally see them live for the first time this year.
There were some rumored winter dates pre-NYE. Ill see if I can find them (these may not mean anything but hey, why not).

I love Goose, would love to see them and Trey, but nowhere is close.

But also I was kinda anticipating a fall Phish tour. I was hoping to finally see them live for the first time this year.
They said nothing before Thanksgiving but rumor was right after that through the first or second weekend of December. I remember seeing a 3-night Hampton run, Chicago, Pittsburgh, a few other NE spots I believe.

i did the alpine shows this weekend. i loved them and had a lot of fun each night. i didn't love reading the reviews on .net and elsewhere- felt like i was doom scrolling. feels like everyone and their mother was anticipating/hoping for an alpine 2019 redux (which just blows my mind- that was literally one of those rarest of rare phish shows), and when that didn't materialize even after n1 it colored everything else. opinions yadda yadda, but the amount of negative attitude on display by other fans about these shows was pretty disappointing, even if unsurprising.

for the overall weekend, i felt the band played immensely enjoyable, unpredictable sets that kept us guessing. there were no major length jams but each set pretty much had 7-8 songs, with each getting enough space to average 8-12 minutes without any sense of wasted time meandering. and we didn't even get any of the power songs like tweezer, hood, yem, carini, chalkdust, character zero, cavern, julius,.. frankly, i loved that. i wouldn't want to miss those songs often, but for a weekend like this it was a unique choice to avoid them entirely and i'm glad they felt like trying other unusual things like opening the weekend with fuego and closing a set with undermind instead.

n1 highlights included what i felt was an inspired first set, with the fuego opener and a moma dance going long, not to mention the band interplay as they moved from halley's into destiny unbound, trey pointing upward as he directed each movement into the next key until they started destiny. the second set set your soul free into golden age and a heavy ghost into the howling (with full moon shining above the pavilion) were just plain fun.

n2 started with a surprising 1999, then a jammed fluffhead into saw it again. say what you will about petrichor, but the rain starting up just as that song started was just one of those music & nature synergy moments that i feel lucky to have been in. number line got the jam treatment, and i was not familiar with mr. completely at all but that jam might have been the highlight of the night. this was my first maze and waves, too! and i kind of mentioned above, but if you could have predicted that undermind would close the set and blaze on would encore, then you would be a true seer. i loved blaze on closing.

n3 felt a little more reigned in but no less fun. 46 days into stealing time was great bluesy jamming, and the everything's right set closing jam is up there for highlight of the whole weekend. i am an unabashed and unapologetic soul planet fan, and loved every minute of that song. the waste and first tube encore pairing felt like is was made for me, those two songs are very important in my phish fandom.

these shows will not go down as all-timers, nor should they, but when it comes to their collective reception i think they are at least partially a victim of unmet hopes and expectations of a tour closing run in a well regarded venue. there's a /lot/ of great stuff put out by phish over these three nights. perhaps time will be more kind to these shows when people eventually relisten. maybe so, maybe not.

i did the alpine shows this weekend. i loved them and had a lot of fun each night. i didn't love reading the reviews on .net and elsewhere- felt like i was doom scrolling. feels like everyone and their mother was anticipating/hoping for an alpine 2019 redux (which just blows my mind- that was literally one of those rarest of rare phish shows), and when that didn't materialize even after n1 it colored everything else. opinions yadda yadda, but the amount of negative attitude on display by other fans about these shows was pretty disappointing, even if unsurprising.

for the overall weekend, i felt the band played immensely enjoyable, unpredictable sets that kept us guessing. there were no major length jams but each set pretty much had 7-8 songs, with each getting enough space to average 8-12 minutes without any sense of wasted time meandering. and we didn't even get any of the power songs like tweezer, hood, yem, carini, chalkdust, character zero, cavern, julius,.. frankly, i loved that. i wouldn't want to miss those songs often, but for a weekend like this it was a unique choice to avoid them entirely and i'm glad they felt like trying other unusual things like opening the weekend with fuego and closing a set with undermind instead.

n1 highlights included what i felt was an inspired first set, with the fuego opener and a moma dance going long, not to mention the band interplay as they moved from halley's into destiny unbound, trey pointing upward as he directed each movement into the next key until they started destiny. the second set set your soul free into golden age and a heavy ghost into the howling (with full moon shining above the pavilion) were just plain fun.

n2 started with a surprising 1999, then a jammed fluffhead into saw it again. say what you will about petrichor, but the rain starting up just as that song started was just one of those music & nature synergy moments that i feel lucky to have been in. number line got the jam treatment, and i was not familiar with mr. completely at all but that jam might have been the highlight of the night. this was my first maze and waves, too! and i kind of mentioned above, but if you could have predicted that undermind would close the set and blaze on would encore, then you would be a true seer. i loved blaze on closing.

n3 felt a little more reigned in but no less fun. 46 days into stealing time was great bluesy jamming, and the everything's right set closing jam is up there for highlight of the whole weekend. i am an unabashed and unapologetic soul planet fan, and loved every minute of that song. the waste and first tube encore pairing felt like is was made for me, those two songs are very important in my phish fandom.

these shows will not go down as all-timers, nor should they, but when it comes to their collective reception i think they are at least partially a victim of unmet hopes and expectations of a tour closing run in a well regarded venue. there's a /lot/ of great stuff put out by phish over these three nights. perhaps time will be more kind to these shows when people eventually relisten. maybe so, maybe not.
That’s .net for ya. Not as bad as PT, but still a lot of grump ‘ol 1.0 phans who get mad at every flub. The tour was awesome! I did the whole AC run and loved every second of it. Everyone around us seemed to love it and really that’s all that matters. A lot of people love to judge from the couch and downvote shows over there and it’s pretty silly.

Glad you had a great time!!

So the Clifford Ball boxset is $263 with free shipping from Newbury Comics today during their 25% off sale. That is probably the cheapest this thing will go for. I'm tempted, but all I have read about is warped records in this set.

I'm curious if Dry Goods would replace warped records for albums not directly purchased from them. Anyone know? Assuming it is a no.

So the Clifford Ball boxset is $263 with free shipping from Newbury Comics today during their 25% off sale. That is probably the cheapest this thing will go for. I'm tempted, but all I have read about is warped records in this set.

I'm curious if Dry Goods would replace warped records for albums not directly purchased from them. Anyone know? Assuming it is a no.
That is a great deal and I wish I'd have waited for it. Despite the terrible warp issues and multiple delays getting replacements, the set does sound excellent and I'd say it's worth it at that price... But probably not at what most of us payed given the headaches.

It seems the pre-sale for TAB/Goose was fun with no technical issues at all. Oh wait nevermind that's all backwards.
Yeah, luckily I got through for Reading and all was good in the end but it seemed like it was going to crash at any moment. Lots of freezing.

I was there too, in the pits all 3 nights with my favorite crew - a genuine treat. It’s so funny how every card carrying phan on .net casts judgement with the vast majority listening through a stream. You just miss some of what they’re putting out there from couch tour, even though it’s a taste of what we all come back for.

I can safely say that night 2 was a heater from my vantage point and everyone around us in the pit was overjoyed. Let’s face it, a night of any phish is better than almost anyone out there doing it.

On to dicks! Let’s see what they’ve got in store for this marathon.

I was there too, in the pits all 3 nights with my favorite crew - a genuine treat. It’s so funny how every card carrying phan on .net casts judgement with the vast majority listening through a stream. You just miss some of what they’re putting out there from couch tour, even though it’s a taste of what we all come back for.

I can safely say that night 2 was a heater from my vantage point and everyone around us in the pit was overjoyed. Let’s face it, a night of any phish is better than almost anyone out there doing it.

On to dicks! Let’s see what they’ve got in store for this marathon.
F those people. Your experience is your experience. I’ve been listening to them since 1991 but didn’t see live until Jazzfest 1996. I don’t count shows, but I’ve been to enough to know what it was like then versus now. It was great then and it’s great now, just differently so and, in some ways, better with more nuance and cohesion. Spottiest they’ve been is early 3.0, but even _that_ was great. I’ll listen to Sneakin’ Sally from Gorge 2009 any day.

Back