Phish

MattS

I thought there was already a phish thread on here, but when I used the search function I couldn’t find one, so I figured I’d start one. It’s been a crazy few months and one thing that has been getting me through is music. Specifically, I have been diving deep back into TPFV, watching old dvds and relistening to old shows through the live phish and relisten app. Recently I have started a mission to listen to every phish live show on LP in order and documenting my thoughts on the show as a whole and individual jams that stuck out to me. With the release of a great new album and weekly free streams—Magnaball baby!!—I thought it would be cool to have a place for phans to talk about what they are listening to and share news about what the boys are up to. If a thread like this exists elsewhere I’ll take this down, but if not I hope this thread offers a fun place to unwind and nerd out. Surrender to the flow.

i think the phish thread was on the old forum and never got restarted here, so better late than never.

the new album is the shit. and the dinner and a movie streams have been welcome diversions from daily life.

ruby waves better win jam of the year on .net.

Gotta ask ... is that Col. Bruce in your avatar?
Yep. Got to meet him before the ARU shows in Boulder. I was so excited and nervous that when he saw my panic shirt and said “oh I’ve heard of those guys,” I responded with “they are definitely worth listening to.” We both had a good laugh after I realized how silly what I said was. Dude was an absolute maverick and a gentleman to boot.

i think the phish thread was on the old forum and never got restarted here, so better late than never.

the new album is the shit. and the dinner and a movie streams have been welcome diversions from daily life.

ruby waves better win jam of the year on .net.

New album definitely rules.

I remember having the old thread going. Not too much traffic on it, but always fun to talk about. Ruby waves was the one of the best moments of live music I’ve experienced—along with lawn man and the 12/30 tweezer.

Happy to get some jam talk going. Phish and the Dead are getting me through this craziness

I told my buddy after I left the show that they were selling extra Oysterhead Grand Pecking Order LPs at the merchtable at the Broomfield, Colorado shows in Feb.

That was a cruel prank.

Ha ha. Yeah, Bullmoose confirmed the new press of Junta was the white and black splatter version. Though it isn't listed in the description on their website. I have the black version, but I am a sucker for color vinyl, and that is probably my favorite studio effort by them, with many of the classics.

Glad to have the Phish thread going again.

I'm also grateful that the only concert I will likely see in 2020 (due to COVID-19) was Oysterhead.
Those Broomfield shows were fun! I enjoyed the first night a little more. First thing I did was check the merch counter for that record, or a new one since I heard they were going to have new material

I'm also grateful that the only concert I will likely see in 2020 (due to COVID-19) was Oysterhead.
Same. That and a local phish cover band called A Live One. The things I’d do to watch Les Claypool live again

I didn't attend the first night. I downloaded both shows from LivePhish. I thought the second night they played a little bit tighter (though, i'm likely biased because I attended the 2nd night). More rust to kick off on the first night (as expected)?

Listen to the jams on Polka Dot Rose, Little Faces, Armys on Ecstacy (has a Toys Go Winding Down Primus tease in there), and Owner of the World from 2/15. All top notch! Also, Wield the Spade on 2/15 had almost a Phish "bliss" jam component to it. Really enjoyed that track live.

Plus the banter between Trey and Les during Those Damn Blue Collared Tweakers was lovely.

Both nights are great listens, but I feel on 2/15 Les and Stu just go so hard on the rhythm section and Trey is forced to catch up and play with high intensity.

I'd love a reissue of GPO and a new album!

Same. That and a local phish cover band called A Live One. The things I’d do to watch Les Claypool live again

No doubt man! Les is one of my favorites. I try to go see all his bands.
Been to a handful of Primus shows, Les Claypool Frog Brigade shows, Claypool Lennon Delirium, Oysterhead, and Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains.

No doubt man! Les is one of my favorites. I try to go see all his bands.
Been to a handful of Primus shows, Les Claypool Frog Brigade shows, Claypool Lennon Delirium, Oysterhead, and Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains.
I’m a bass player and dude is my hero. Seen Primus quite a few times, duo de twang, his solo band, Oysterhead, and the Delirium. Actually got to meet him as well at a record store in Athens before the Delirium show. Heard that weird, fantastic accent and saw a big brimmed hat and coulent help myself from asking for a picture. He was very gracious about it, even though I could tell he had more important shit to do AEE57C7F-E459-41B6-A307-F945F5821E73.jpeg

Just wanted to say that Phish’s new album Sigma Oasis is pretty great, and the outro jam from “Everything’s Right” ha been my fucking jam since that Wednesday release.

Anywho, not really new to Phish, but need some dates to jump into. Can I get a list of some shows to check out on Relisten?

Just wanted to say that Phish’s new album Sigma Oasis is pretty great, and the outro jam from “Everything’s Right” ha been my fucking jam since that Wednesday release.

Anywho, not really new to Phish, but need some dates to jump into. Can I get a list of some shows to check out on Relisten?
Here are some shows that got me started. Most are well known and on Spotify, so hopefully I am giving you something new

Shows
Island Tour on Spotify and other streaming services--4/2-5/97 (4/3 is my favorite of the run)
12/31/95 on Spotify
6/18/94 on Spotify
11/17/97 (on Spotify--considered an all-timer)
11/27/98 on Spotify
9/14/99 on Spotify
6/14/00 on Spotify
7/11/00
07/25/2017 (the best show I attended)
AND, if you are really feeling wild, the 7-and-a-half-hour Big Cypress 12/31 show

Great Jams
7/14/19--ruby waves from Alpine
8/17/97--Great Went Gin
07/31/13--Tahoe Tweezer
9/14/99--Boise AC/DC bag
7/6/98--the Prague Ghost
11/27/97 Halley's Comet
12/9/95--Albany Yem
7/28/17--Bakers Dozen Chalk Dust Torture
7/25/17--Bakers Dozen Lawn Boy

Last edited:

97 is probably my favorite year.
Try 12-7-97 for the ACDC Bag>Pyscho Killer>JJLC. Albsolutely flawless transitions.

Also listen to Tube and the Tube jam from that show.

Try 6-26-2004 Alpine Valley 2nd set. Beautiful!

So much more. Can't type it all out on my phone though.

Back