Phish

Yeah, I probably will. I'm still just sitting here bummed out looking at it, haha. It's a real head scratcher given how great the recent rereleases have been that they would release such an expensive box and go cheap on the vinyl. I don't get it. I agree with @Colonel4Bin that the flat ones sounded fantastic.
I don't necessarily think they went cheap on the vinyl. I believe nearly every Phish vinyl pressing has come out of GZ and have been mastered by either Bellman or Grundman. The only exception is Junta, which I believe came out of Pallas (and maybe Fuego, could be wrong).

I think these warps are likely due to the total number of discs GZ was responsible for pressing. I don't know exactly how many boxsets were pressed, but at 12 discs per set, and let's say 3,000 box sets, you are looking at 36,000 vinyl records. I think GZ can do good work on smaller pressings, 1,000 to 2,000-record runs, but when they get into tens of thousands of records, shit gets bad (e.g., VMP pressings for Mars Volta, Outkast, Wu-Tang, Public Enemy, etc.). Just thinking out loud here.

Hopefully Dry Goods can take care of you. And hoping that maybe these defects will keep the price low on this set on the secondary market. Who knows though.

I don't necessarily think they went cheap on the vinyl. I believe nearly every Phish vinyl pressing has come out of GZ and have been mastered by either Bellman or Grundman. The only exception is Junta, which I believe came out of Pallas (and maybe Fuego, could be wrong).

I think these warps are likely due to the total number of discs GZ was responsible for pressing. I don't know exactly how many boxsets were pressed, but at 12 discs per set, and let's say 3,000 box sets, you are looking at 36,000 vinyl records. I think GZ can do good work on smaller pressings, 1,000 to 2,000-record runs, but when they get into tens of thousands of records, shit gets bad (e.g., VMP pressings for Mars Volta, Outkast, Wu-Tang, Public Enemy, etc.). Just thinking out loud here.

Hopefully Dry Goods can take care of you. And hoping that maybe these defects will keep the price low on this set on the secondary market. Who knows though.
I get what you're saying but by going cheap, I mean that they could have done 180 g and had some QC. It's no secret that GZ has these problems so I do kinda blame them and companies like VMP for the issues and headaches because they know it's gonna happen and have to just be accounting for it in their costs and insane prices they charge us. So our headaches are an acceptable part of them doing business. They're clearly still making money otherwise they'd be unable to continue the practice.

I get what you're saying but by going cheap, I mean that they could have done 180 g and had some QC. It's no secret that GZ has these problems so I do kinda blame them and companies like VMP for the issues and headaches because they know it's gonna happen and have to just be accounting for it in their costs and insane prices they charge us. So our headaches are an acceptable part of them doing business. They're clearly still making money otherwise they'd be unable to continue the practice.
I hear ya! Prices were very high for this set at over $30 a record. You'd expect better QC.

I have been tempted to buy the boxset, but have stalled given the recent reviews from many people about defects. I hate dealing with customer service and the disappointment of a shitty pressing. And it is hard to know whether Dry Goods even held any copies back to assist with warps/scratches/other pressing issues. I mean, I think Dry Goods is just a front for Merch Bar, no?

If nothing else, you may be able to send off some of your records to someone with a Vinyl Flat to fix.

I hear ya! Prices were very high for this set at over $30 a record. You'd expect better QC.

I have been tempted to buy the boxset, but have stalled given the recent reviews from many people about defects. I hate dealing with customer service and the disappointment of a shitty pressing. And it is hard to know whether Dry Goods even held any copies back to assist with warps/scratches/other pressing issues. I mean, I think Dry Goods is just a front for Merch Bar, no?

If nothing else, you may be able to send off some of your records to someone with a Vinyl Flat to fix.
Well I just sent 18 photos of warped records to Dry Goods at their request. They didn't say what they'd do, just that they are aware of the issue and are tracking it...

Yeah, I probably will. I'm still just sitting here bummed out looking at it, haha. It's a real head scratcher given how great the recent rereleases have been that they would release such an expensive box and go cheap on the vinyl. I don't get it. I agree with @Colonel4Bin that the flat ones sounded fantastic.
Agreed. I wonder what it’s like behind the scenes with getting specific plants and whatnot. Those early album reissues have all been fantastic and meticulously pressed. But the quality has certainly fallen with everything since they reissued SOTG.

Listening to Bakers Dozen. I'm really pleased I picked up this box set when it was affordable (think I spent $65 on it). It sounds incredible and the songs/jams they chose really highlight the "modern" Phish sound with all their new equipment. Also really appreciate the photobook and Rene Huemer's contributions.

View attachment 132110
Such an incredible run. I agree one the audio quality; they really nailed the mix on those shows.

Agreed. I wonder what it’s like behind the scenes with getting specific plants and whatnot. Those early album reissues have all been fantastic and meticulously pressed. But the quality has certainly fallen with everything since they reissued SOTG.
Oof. I tried to replacing my RSD copy of SOTG because of such bad crackling at the start of Wading in the Velvet Sea. Copy #2 was a little better and didn't feel like pressing my luck on a third.

Same here. That at least makes me think they haven't forgotten about me if we're in the same boat.
Folks on the Phish vinyl group on Facebook haven't received theirs either, last I read. I believe Drygoods may be having the plant repress a bunch of discs. So it night be a wait to receive replacements.

so is warping the primary issue with the cb box? or is there audio issues, too? i haven't opened mine yet (i haven't been able to listen to -any- records since early december) but figure i better sooner than later to see if i have any of the same problems. can someone give me a tl;dr of what specifically to look for if there's a common problem?

so is warping the primary issue with the cb box? or is there audio issues, too? i haven't opened mine yet (i haven't been able to listen to -any- records since early december) but figure i better sooner than later to see if i have any of the same problems. can someone give me a tl;dr of what specifically to look for if there's a common problem?
The only issue that I’m aware of was warping. I lucked out and had zero warps. The records all sound great.

To the above audio is superb, but 9 of 12 we're warped in my box.

Back