Phish

Hadn’t hit the lotto in a while but struck gold with a 7-day MSG pass for this summer!

Very excited for 7 nights, wonder what they have planned 🤔🤔🤔
Nice, got tickets for most of the nights. Struck out on tickets for the Mann though! Still weird they aren’t playing Sunday

Nice, got tickets for most of the nights. Struck out on tickets for the Mann though! Still weird they aren’t playing Sunday
I remember an old 2.0 interview where Trey talks about playing indoors for so long that people would leave after like 24 hours and not realize that they’d been in there for a day. There would only be on payphone in the whole venue.

I know there’s these things called cellphones now but you never know! 😂

44 minutes Tweezer!!
Was there. First time at the Greek. Their willingness to get lost and push through was on full display last night in a way I haven’t seen before in person in a very, very long time, if ever (going back to ‘96). That means there were a few sections that needed a place to go and could easily have been the end, but they kept pushing, and it wasn’t always Trey doing it.

Was there. First time at the Greek. Their willingness to get lost and push through was on full display last night in a way I haven’t seen before in person in a very, very long time, if ever (going back to ‘96). That means there were a few sections that needed a place to go and could easily have been the end, but they kept pushing, and it wasn’t always Trey doing it.
Very jealous. Excited for the LA shows but wow, seems like an amazing night

Second set night one was great.

Last night had moments -- The Howling was a highlight -- but if there was a show to miss on this run, that would have been the one for me. I enjoyed it because I found a bunch of folks I hadn't seen in years, but I'm expecting them to turn it up tonight.

Interested to hear that 44 minute Tweezer. Read a few reviews from folks that is was kind of uninspired and the band was getting lost.
Def not uninspired. Band did get lost a couple times (as i mentioned above), but this is among reasons it’s so good. 3.0/4.0 have been characterized by pulling the chute too often when a jam is cranking or when it’s getting lost. Pushing through the latter can lead to great things, as it did throughout Tweezer. And the Simple that followed killed.

Plenty of what they’re doing probably seems uninspired to many bc some of it is ambient/slow that’s nuanced and — to me — very enjoyable but probably sounds like uncharted noodling to many. Last night, the lengthy ambient “jam” (really just improv) section of Fuego that transitioned into a rocking finish was my favorite part of the night bar none. I’m sure plenty used it as a bathroom break or a rest between peaks. But there’s often gold between peaks.

Last night’s Gin, KDF (a song I do not like, but the jam was excellent and long by that song’s standard), and Fuego are well worth your time. I’d also probably throw Don’t Doubt Me in there, although not a favorite of mine during the vocal portion. Light was good enough. Howling had a moment or two. Then the remainder of 2nd/E were deflating.

Last edited:
Def not uninspired. Band did get lost a couple times (as i mentioned above), but this is among reasons it’s so good. 3.0/4.0 have been characterized by pulling the chute too often when a jam is cranking or when it’s getting lost. Pushing through the latter can lead to great things, as it did throughout Tweezer. And the Simple that followed killed.

Plenty of what they’re doing probably seems uninspired to many bc some of it is ambient/slow that’s nuanced and — to me — very enjoyable but probably sounds like uncharted noodling to many. Last night, the lengthy ambient “jam” (really just improv) section of Fuego that transitioned into a rocking finish was my favorite part of the night bar none. I’m sure plenty used it as a bathroom break or a rest between peaks. But there’s often gold between peaks.

Last night’s Gin, KDF (a song I do not like, but the jam was excellent and long by that song’s standard), and Fuego are well worth your time. I’d also probably throw Don’t Doubt Me in there, although not a favorite of mine during the vocal portion. Light was good enough. Howling had a moment or two. Then the remainder of 2nd/E were deflating.
I love the ambient far out jams. Definitely want to hear this Tweezer.

There's some good "Ambient" Phish jam comps on YouTube that are worth checking out.

I love the ambient far out jams. Definitely want to hear this Tweezer.

There's some good "Ambient" Phish jam comps on YouTube that are worth checking out.
I’ve seen some of those. I also have 22 tracks of the “Ambiance ‘98” and the 1999 “Adventures in Space and Time” collections that someone made and circulated years ago. Both are heavy with ambient jamming, esp 1999 collection. These and a few others were follow ups to “Phish Destroys America” stuff from ‘97 but, really, nothing will top that collection.

After reading a lot about it and waiting for that livephish release, the 4/17 show is out! Just downloaded it, so I haven’t listened yet but it’s all I’m doing tomorrow

So the Hollywood Bowl shows were awesome. Great venue, great energy and crowd. Every night had something special and the band seemed to be incredibly synced in. Would recommend a listen to Saturday or the Cities from Sunday if you have 20 minutes to spare

So the Hollywood Bowl shows were awesome. Great venue, great energy and crowd. Every night had something special and the band seemed to be incredibly synced in. Would recommend a listen to Saturday or the Cities from Sunday if you have 20 minutes to spare
Based on photos and videos, lighting with the bandshell (or whatever that structure is called) @ Hollywood Bowl was amazing. I’m still catching up on the Hollywood shows on LP.

I think your description applies to just about every show in the 4.0 era (and much of 3.0). The baseline is excellence, and they often go beyond that. (Fwiw, i first saw them in ‘96)

Back