Phish

It’s looking quite possible that availability and cost on the box set will be spotty outside the Drygoods preorder.

Hard to know as a collector whether to jump at 1st offer or wait for your preferred vender. I really wanted the box so FOMO had me preordering from Drygoods after a brief period of holding out.

It’s looking quite possible that availability and cost on the box set will be spotty outside the Drygoods preorder.

Hard to know as a collector whether to jump at 1st offer or wait for your preferred vender. I really wanted the box so FOMO had me preordering from Drygoods after a brief period of holding out.
Yeah, most of the smaller RS are not making any money on the box and that was them selling it at $400 shipped. I'm surprised they didn't say how limited the actual box set was. I ordered from DryGoods as well bc I didn't want to take a chance of missing it or paying ebay prices. Completists gotta complete!

I learned the hard way with the Bakers Dozen CD box set they did in 2018. I thought for sure it would stick around, thinking no one was buying a $500 box set of 36 CDs. Then it sold out and the scramble was on. Bullmoose wound up not getting any and canceled my order, so I paid slightly up for one on eBay but it didn’t include the Pollock print, which alone goes for $500+ these days. Now that set is pushing $1,000.

I had one in my cart on DryGoods and decided against it….now I’m kicking myself. Would have gone great in a kiddos room.

I bought the Welker from DryGoods

If you like Blomerth's style, it's worth checking out his Bicycle Day book.

He has this new one, too

I was enjoying the live stream last night. Moma, Tube, 46 Days, all excellent. Only saw part of the first set before shutting it off to get my kids in bed. Was hoping to stream the rest today, but I think they already pulled it from YouTube. Kinda bummed as they usually have kept the DAAM streams on there for a good week.

I was enjoying the live stream last night. Moma, Tube, 46 Days, all excellent. Only saw part of the first set before shutting it off to get my kids in bed. Was hoping to stream the rest today, but I think they already pulled it from YouTube. Kinda bummed as they usually have kept the DAAM streams on there for a good week.
I believe Sirius XM had the rights to the video and it’s available to watch there if you’re a subscriber, similar to the 12/3/19 show. Kind of a bummer.

So, I just started getting into Phish around the holidays. I have always been aware of them. I had friends who were super into them, but I always hated what I heard. Similarly, they loved the Grateful Dead and I never had any interest. That changed years and year ago now. I grew to absolutely love the Dead so much so that they are one of my favorite bands. I also liked Umphrey's quite a bit cause I saw them live and really enjoyed it. Last year I got into the newer jam band Goose. And well all of this started stirring up an interest in finally trying in earnest to get into Phish. And well, what the hell took me so long?? I loved them so fast. I found a few shows that were recommended online and have started slowly branching off from there. I've also picked up a couple of their studio albums on vinyl (Sigma Oasis - which I'm spinning right now and Big Boat), plus I got the TAB live album from...last year? 2020? It's also great. But mostly, I've just been streaming the hell out of live Phish. I guess I'm not quite asking for recommendations, although hey I'll take them! Just here to say, I'm a new Phan.

I caught the first set of the NYE live stream which was great. But I was so bummed there's no easy way to access the rest of it. I guess I could do a trial on the SiriusXM app? But that just seems annoying. Anyway, Phish have become almost all I have listened to for like two weeks straight. I'm now making it an absolute goal to see them live whenever they tour next. I guess I always wrote them off cause I never cared to try. I just remember hearing some version of Reba in a friend's car and feeling like it was horrible. Then, cause I was/am a fan of Scott Aukerman and the late great Harris Wittels, I listened to and loved their podcast Analyze Phish - which mostly seemed to confirm that I would never like them. Though - the brief snippet Harris played of Crosseyed And Painless got me into Taking Heads. I just re-listened to the whole podcast again and love it. I think I get it all now, the appeal of Phish and the disdain for them. And i"m here, totally ready to keep diving into more.

That's all.

So, I just started getting into Phish around the holidays. I have always been aware of them. I had friends who were super into them, but I always hated what I heard. Similarly, they loved the Grateful Dead and I never had any interest. That changed years and year ago now. I grew to absolutely love the Dead so much so that they are one of my favorite bands. I also liked Umphrey's quite a bit cause I saw them live and really enjoyed it. Last year I got into the newer jam band Goose. And well all of this started stirring up an interest in finally trying in earnest to get into Phish. And well, what the hell took me so long?? I loved them so fast. I found a few shows that were recommended online and have started slowly branching off from there. I've also picked up a couple of their studio albums on vinyl (Sigma Oasis - which I'm spinning right now and Big Boat), plus I got the TAB live album from...last year? 2020? It's also great. But mostly, I've just been streaming the hell out of live Phish. I guess I'm not quite asking for recommendations, although hey I'll take them! Just here to say, I'm a new Phan.

I caught the first set of the NYE live stream which was great. But I was so bummed there's no easy way to access the rest of it. I guess I could do a trial on the SiriusXM app? But that just seems annoying. Anyway, Phish have become almost all I have listened to for like two weeks straight. I'm now making it an absolute goal to see them live whenever they tour next. I guess I always wrote them off cause I never cared to try. I just remember hearing some version of Reba in a friend's car and feeling like it was horrible. Then, cause I was/am a fan of Scott Aukerman and the late great Harris Wittels, I listened to and loved their podcast Analyze Phish - which mostly seemed to confirm that I would never like them. Though - the brief snippet Harris played of Crosseyed And Painless got me into Taking Heads. I just re-listened to the whole podcast again and love it. I think I get it all now, the appeal of Phish and the disdain for them. And i"m here, totally ready to keep diving into more.

That's all.
If you wanna have a good day, just listen to Reba jams all day.

That's all.
Welcome to the community!

If you're ever interested in learning some more via podcasts, theyir longtime lyricist Tom Marshall runs a podcast networks with some really great podcasts. Not just Phish, but music in general. They have some great Dead pods as well. I've learned of a lot of great music from their various podcasts. For Phish, I would recommend "Undermine," "After Midnight," and "Alive Again."

That's all.
Better late than never! You may already know all this, so apologies in advance if you do . . .

I’m a SiriusXM subscriber, and I wouldn’t bother w/ a trial just for the NYE show. It was fine, but certainly nothing special, and there’s a shit-ton of free live material available. Here are some easy sources:
1. Phish’ s YouTube channel — they usually have first song of each set and then post one song from most shows, and it’s often the “best” song (i.e., the one w/ the best jam), and you get soundboard quality. Mostly recent years, but there are some older tracks also.
2. I think Phish radio on LivePhish app is free, and it’s a good mix of stuff.
3. JEMP Radio (free, non-profit online radio station) is at least 75% Phish, then a bunch of Dead and other stuff.
4. The ReListen app has AUD recordings of, I think, every Phish show in circulation (and a ton of GD and other bands)
5. Phish “Just Jams” is exactly that — compilations of jams w/out the goofy lyrics, ballads, etc.: Phish Just Jams

You may have already seen plenty of opinions about which years are best Phish. Most popular is probably 1997 and then 1994. I‘m in that ‘97 camp, but I also think they’re currently fantastic, albeit very different than those years. In some ways, often subtle, the current “jamming“ is more nuanced and interesting than the old days, and summer/fall 2021 were loaded w/ great playing. Phish 2.0 is looked down on for various reasons, but it’s some of my favorite Phish bc I really like the dark, not-very-danceable jams from that era.

I'm in Team 97 as well. Though their sound and jamming right now is probably my personal favorite. Mostly because their "rigs" have evolved so much and are near perfect (minus that stupid sample drum pad they allow Fishman to use "yeah!"). Trey and Mike have an elaborate number of effects pedals, which allows them to go deep into some jams and create these wild soundscapes.

I have a hard time tolerating any of their songs after Round Room. Undermine, Big Boat, Sigma, Fuego, well...nothing really there that interests me. There are some tracks that I can tolerate as they act, more or less, as a launch pad for jams. But a lot of it is just so damn cheesy, especially S.A.N.T.O.S.

My recommendation would be to listen to all the 90's era soundboards you can, as a start.

My first show was in 2003, so I also have a fondness for the 2.0 shows. Though I could care less about those Phish era labels. 2nd set of Alpine Valley in 2004 is just straight goodness. Boogie On, Piper, Ghost, Harry Hood, and I wanna say a Possum encore. So much fun. Also had pavilions that night, back when they cost $60 instead of $260.

Take your time though. There's a lot to explore given their 35+ year career.

Getting into Phish vinyl right now, well...that's not the best timing because they've already reissued their best studio albums and they now go for a pretty penny. I'm referring to Junta, Lawn Boy, Rift, Nectar, Billy Breathes, and Story of a Ghost. But I wouldn't worry too much about that. The best stuff is live material anyways. YouTube has a lot of great Phish mixes made by fans that are worth checking out. I personally enjoy the Phish funk mixes and ambient mixes on YT.

Also, their fan base can be polarizing. Best to focus on the music.

Welcome to the community!

If you're ever interested in learning some more via podcasts, theyir longtime lyricist Tom Marshall runs a podcast networks with some really great podcasts. Not just Phish, but music in general. They have some great Dead pods as well. I've learned of a lot of great music from their various podcasts. For Phish, I would recommend "Undermine," "After Midnight," and "Alive Again."
I had no idea those podcasts existed. As for Dead ones I’m only aware of 36 From The Vault (pretty enjoyable) and the Grateful Deadcast (which I actually haven’t listened to). I will for sure check the Phish ones out cause I think one of things initially holding me back was how huge and daunting their entire history was. More info / insight would be nice.
Better late than never! You may already know all this, so apologies in advance if you do . . .

I’m a SiriusXM subscriber, and I wouldn’t bother w/ a trial just for the NYE show. It was fine, but certainly nothing special, and there’s a shit-ton of free live material available. Here are some easy sources:
1. Phish’ s YouTube channel — they usually have first song of each set and then post one song from most shows, and it’s often the “best” song (i.e., the one w/ the best jam), and you get soundboard quality. Mostly recent years, but there are some older tracks also.
2. I think Phish radio on LivePhish app is free, and it’s a good mix of stuff.
3. JEMP Radio (free, non-profit online radio station) is at least 75% Phish, then a bunch of Dead and other stuff.
4. The ReListen app has AUD recordings of, I think, every Phish show in circulation (and a ton of GD and other bands)
5. Phish “Just Jams” is exactly that — compilations of jams w/out the goofy lyrics, ballads, etc.: Phish Just Jams

You may have already seen plenty of opinions about which years are best Phish. Most popular is probably 1997 and then 1994. I‘m in that ‘97 camp, but I also think they’re currently fantastic, albeit very different than those years. In some ways, often subtle, the current “jamming“ is more nuanced and interesting than the old days, and summer/fall 2021 were loaded w/ great playing. Phish 2.0 is looked down on for various reasons, but it’s some of my favorite Phish bc I really like the dark, not-very-danceable jams from that era.
I knew about some of these, but not most. I found a couple full video live shows I’ve watched and that really helped cement my interest in them. I didn’t know that Phish radio was free or that it even existed so I’ve gotta check that out. I’ve been going into the officially released Live Phish albums which most seem to be on streaming.

Also yes I’ve read 94 and 97 are the best so those were the first two I started with. Then I’ve listened to some of the newer era of Phish - like 2011-present. But 2.0 I have not heard at all and I don’t have a ton of context about it, but I’ve seen that era referenced a lot.
I'm in Team 97 as well. Though their sound and jamming right now is probably my personal favorite. Mostly because their "rigs" have evolved so much and are near perfect (minus that stupid sample drum pad they allow Fishman to use "yeah!"). Trey and Mike have an elaborate number of effects pedals, which allows them to go deep into some jams and create these wild soundscapes.

I have a hard time tolerating any of their songs after Round Room. Undermine, Big Boat, Sigma, Fuego, well...nothing really there that interests me. There are some tracks that I can tolerate as they act, more or less, as a launch pad for jams. But a lot of it is just so damn cheesy, especially S.A.N.T.O.S.

My recommendation would be to listen to all the 90's era soundboards you can, as a start.

My first show was in 2003, so I also have a fondness for the 2.0 shows. Though I could care less about those Phish era labels. 2nd set of Alpine Valley in 2004 is just straight goodness. Boogie On, Piper, Ghost, Harry Hood, and I wanna say a Possum encore. So much fun. Also had pavilions that night, back when they cost $60 instead of $260.

Take your time though. There's a lot to explore given their 35+ year career.

Getting into Phish vinyl right now, well...that's not the best timing because they've already reissued their best studio albums and they now go for a pretty penny. I'm referring to Junta, Lawn Boy, Rift, Nectar, Billy Breathes, and Story of a Ghost. But I wouldn't worry too much about that. The best stuff is live material anyways. YouTube has a lot of great Phish mixes made by fans that are worth checking out. I personally enjoy the Phish funk mixes and ambient mixes on YT.

Also, their fan base can be polarizing. Best to focus on the music.
I have done some reading / info gathering via Reddit but a lot of what I see posted is stuff I don’t yet understand. Again, I think some of that is what held me back. They just seemed hard to get into. But now that I’ve started it’s becoming easier and fun.

For studio stuff, originally I heard what you’re describing (cheesy) and I thought I’d stay away completely. But I kept slightly trying and eventually got two of the newest studio albums on vinyl. I like them, with Sigma Oasis surprisingly really winning me over. I’ve noticed Phish on vinyl is definitely hard to come by - especially live - although they are doing those live releases but it’s only one song on each one so far. Don’t know if that’s totally worth it. I’ve been eying Story of the Ghost on vinyl. It seems like one of the weirder studio albums, and something I might want to own. Other than that I’ve mostly been listening to live stuff and definitely vastly prefer it. Right now I’m still mostly 90s so far. Then I’ll move onto early 2000s. But I’m simultaneously listening to some of their most recent shows. .

Back