Perfect Sound Forever: The CD Thread

After dipping my toes back into the cd world again for a couple of months, I am reminded a few things that I hated about them.
  • Too long - freed from the 40-45 minutes of vinyl, bands decided they didn't have to cut that rap-metal song by their drummer. Just because the cd can hold 70+ minutes, doesn't mean you need to fill it up
  • Hidden bonus track - if you are going to tack on a hidden song, please don't add 13 minutes of silence/noise after the last song so you have to scan through to get to the hidden song
  • Sequencing - it seems that sequencing songs cycles for 2 20min sides disappeared in the 90s, with a lot of cds front loading the best songs in the first 5-6 tracks

After dipping my toes back into the cd world again for a couple of months, I am reminded a few things that I hated about them.
  • Too long - freed from the 40-45 minutes of vinyl, bands decided they didn't have to cut that rap-metal song by their drummer. Just because the cd can hold 70+ minutes, doesn't mean you need to fill it up
  • Hidden bonus track - if you are going to tack on a hidden song, please don't add 13 minutes of silence/noise after the last song so you have to scan through to get to the hidden song
  • Sequencing - it seems that sequencing songs cycles for 2 20min sides disappeared in the 90s, with a lot of cds front loading the best songs in the first 5-6 tracks
That's why CD players allowed you to program play. lol

This weeks discogs cd haul. 7 cds for less than $7 each
Everything but the Girl - Tempermental (not their best but worth it just for Hatfield 1980)
Beth Orton - Daybreaker
Edwyn Collins - Gorgeous George (Orange Juice frontman)
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Sound of Speed (odds and sods compilation)
REM - Monster
Grinderman - 1st album (promo copy)
Doughboys - Crush (great 90s indie rock from Montreal)
IMG_1398.jpg

Back