Perfect Sound Forever: The CD Thread

Been a good 4 months since any activity on this thread.

I have picked up a couple of cds in August.
Teenage Fanclub - Thirteen (Japanese with 6 extra tracks)
Clash - London Calling (25th anniversary) - this includes a 2nd cd of demos plus a great little booklet.

The last couple of weeks I have created a separate Discogs account just for CD wants. Been adding a bunch of stuff to it (items that are hard to find on vinyl or too pricey, or have bonus material).

Also I have been down a bit of a rabbit hole looking up best cd versions of albums. Sadly so many cds were made in the 90s that are just terrible with compression and pre-emphasis.

Ordered 8 cds on Saturday, from 2 different discogs sellers. All together with shipping and taxes I spent about $74, hard to argue with that.
In the past 4 months, I’ve probably purchased a dozen or more CDs. Just recently made an order from Japan, which is atypical for me, because I could not find a reasonably priced alternative in the US. At this point, my purchases are probably 50/50 CDs vs. LPs. I was burning so much cash on vinyl that the switch to CDs was a decelerant.

In the past 4 months, I’ve probably purchased a dozen or more CDs. Just recently made an order from Japan, which is atypical for me, because I could not find a reasonably priced alternative in the US. At this point, my purchases are probably 50/50 CDs vs. LPs. I was burning so much cash on vinyl that the switch to CDs was a decelerant.
100%

Up here in Canada, vinyl is getting pretty pricy. For the 70 bucks I just spent on 8 cds, I may have been able to get 2 records.

After a lifetime of kinda sorta being aware of Herbie Hancock as like "yeah that guy on those Miles records", the VMP podcast for the Herbie anthology got me really paying attention but between the cost and the quality control issues, I wasn't really enthused at the prospect of the actual Herbie Hancock Anthology from VMP. Figuring I could put together a more complete and much nicer collection (if not an actual box qua box) for like, half the price or less, I started getting a bunch of Herbie vinyl. But then I ran across some box set listings on ye olde deescogs and hit up an ebay listing for Herbie Hancock - The Complete Columbia Album Collection 1972 - 1988 which I picked up for I think it was 80? Which, 34 albums for 80$? That's a lotta bang for the buck. Then I got Herbie Hancock - The Blue Note Albums for I think 40? After that you only need Herbie Hancock - The Warner Bros. Years (1969-1972) for all the Mwandishi stuff and also all the miles davis records he's on and the river. Then you have most of his work.

There's a Miles Columbia box set that I keep looking to find for cheap....

And added to my Discogs wantlist.

I have the Miles' Complete In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew from when they first came out. I wished I had also grabbed Complete Jack Johnson and On The Corner as well when they were released.

And added to my Discogs wantlist.

I have the Miles' Complete In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew from when they first came out. I wished I had also grabbed Complete Jack Johnson and On The Corner as well when they were released.
I have the CD boxes for the Complete On The Corner, Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way, and Jack Johnson, absolutely essential. The only think I don’t like is how the booklets are laid out.

I am straight up envious of both of those, although at this point so many of those classic albums have deluxe versions, I find myself often skipping all those extra bonus tracks and additions

a tip, if you have an old DVD player lying around, you can plug that in and it makes a decent CD player.

I don’t, unfortunately. I thought I could use a spare PS3 I have, but it doesn’t have any analogue outputs. Had a look online and I’m struggling to get a cheapo second hand one, might have to hit eBay up and see what they have.

Watched this last night. I’ve got nearly 1,000 CD’s sitting doing nothing, and I’m now tempted to get a cheap player so I use them!

I think we have around that many. My current player is temperamental with certain CDs, so eventually I’d like to upgrade that area.

I recently replaced a CD transport with the Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player. Couldn't be happier. They are 25% off at MD right now. I'm assuming they are getting rid of old stock, as the SA-KI were limited and I don't see other places carrying them in stock anymore. I was originally going to get the Marantz SACD30n or Technics SL-G700 SACD/CD network player (both for ~$3K), but, really, the network player wasn't a high priority for me. The MD sale brought the Ruby down to the same price as the 30n or G700 so I went w/ the dedicated SACD/CD (it has some other features like USB/digital inputs but that's ancillary for me) player that is well-received.

I do have a good amount of SACDs so this was def a necessity for me. Really happy with the purchase.

I don’t, unfortunately. I thought I could use a spare PS3 I have, but it doesn’t have any analogue outputs. Had a look online and I’m struggling to get a cheapo second hand one, might have to hit eBay up and see what they have.
I think the PS3 has an optical output. If your receiver has optical input you could pickup a toslink cable and go that route for a bit

I've been hitting up estate sales lately to look for good vintage equipment and it's usually the first thing to go, but CD players (and often nice ones) usually hang around a bit. I've been mostly looking for a good tape deck and think I finally found one at a sale this coming weekend, but I'm going to have to get there really early to beat the flippers.

I've been hitting up estate sales lately to look for good vintage equipment and it's usually the first thing to go, but CD players (and often nice ones) usually hang around a bit. I've been mostly looking for a good tape deck and think I finally found one at a sale this coming weekend, but I'm going to have to get there really early to beat the flippers.
A tape desk and cassettes is a magnetic line I will not cross again ;)

Back