Perfect Sound Forever: The CD Thread

A tape desk and cassettes is a magnetic line I will not cross again ;)
I don't plan to really go down that road, but I have a few cassettes that have my dad on them and haven't heard his voice in over 30 years, so thought I'd find a way to play them. Less a music thing than a sentimental thing 😌

a tip, if you have an old DVD player lying around, you can plug that in and it makes a decent CD player.
Expanding on this a bit, look for older Blu Ray players. This was a "high end" Super Audio home theater unit from around 2013. I picked it up for $250, like new, with a remote and plays multiple formats including CDs and SACDs. Marantz's future upgrades in the line had more inputs/outputs that can benefit your CD's by running the unit through a more modern DAC.

So there are definitely some inexpensive options out there, for me, who still buys CDs as filler to non-vinyl releases and vinyl I'm not willing to pay for, it was a perfect solution..............and it sounds great ;)

Marantz UD5007
20220906_081705.jpg

I've been hitting up estate sales lately to look for good vintage equipment and it's usually the first thing to go, but CD players (and often nice ones) usually hang around a bit. I've been mostly looking for a good tape deck and think I finally found one at a sale this coming weekend, but I'm going to have to get there really early to beat the flippers.
I goodwill'd a really nice Carver CD player for like $10. After a while it started getting glitchy, which was always the problem with Carver equipment: when it works it's amazing, especially for the price, but the longer you have it or play it, the shorter the "when it works" part stays true. I wound up tossing it because I didn't want to crack it open and begin re-soldering joints and replacing caps. I've seen a bunch of NAD equipment go through a local shop, but they vacillate between "pricing to sell" and "pricing according to eBay aspirational notions of what this shit is worth" and all the NAD stuff is solidly in the latter camp. Yes, stereo magazines from 1992 might have them listed at thousands, but a 30 year old CD player of suspect provenance and function is not worth several hundred bucks.

I picked up a Sony CD changer from another goodwill, again for a song (like, $20?). I'm saving some pennies up for something a little more high-end, but for the moment a cheap Sony that works is totally meeting my needs.

anybody know where to get somewhat affordable SACDs? even if they are used? i have a 5 SACD changer now that i got for cheap but in a lot of cases, the SACDs are $30+ and i'd rather just get vinyl at that point...

anybody know where to get somewhat affordable SACDs? even if they are used? i have a 5 SACD changer now that i got for cheap but in a lot of cases, the SACDs are $30+ and i'd rather just get vinyl at that point...
amazon warehouse will pop some, or ebay, but 'cogs is probably your best bet.

Dead Can Dance - SACD Box Set hey! only.....$830! a bargain at twice the price! (buying each SACD individually you can get it down to 430! so it's 400 dollar cardboard box)

Last edited:
I have a bunch of Dylan SACDs, Wish You Were Here too. I don’t have an SACD player, but for some reason I thought they’d sound better than standard, and my ears can’t really tell a difference. PM me if you’re interested.

I need better friends i guess! 😂
Haha! No kidding. It’s interesting, met him a few months ago when I was selling a couple of DCC pressings locally. Went over for a listening party one night and have been inseparable ever since. 🍻

fyi Amazon product ASIN B0000C8AW7dylan's love and theft SACD hybrid for $7
also the stones stuff is hybrid, often see those in the warehouse.

Not sure if you like classical but this can be found for pretty cheap. It’s the only SACD I own because it’s one of my favorite albums.

Man, getting a cheap second hand player here is proving to be a challenge. Either old 5CD changers from the late 80’s or newer stuff with little off RRP. Might have to buy new here, but that’s $600 for the cheapest.
I don't know what your local landscape is like, but see also facebook marketplace or estate sales

I don't know what your local landscape is like, but see also facebook marketplace or estate sales
Slim pickings on there as well. Best I can get on there or eBay are late 80’s Luxmans for approx $210. I can get a 4K blu ray for $275, so I’m probably going to do that and multitask it.

Slim pickings on there as well. Best I can get on there or eBay are late 80’s Luxmans for approx $210. I can get a 4K blu ray for $275, so I’m probably going to do that and multitask it.
Look up the Sony UBP-X800M2. It plays pretty much every format even SACD. It might be more outside of the US though. I got it on a Black Friday deal for $199.

Back