Online Vinyl Deals

Sorry, maybe I was thinking of Exile? I think there was a half speed box set, so there should be opinions on it as well, if it is the same.
Yea--maybe you are referring to the MoFi version? That one is half-speed remastered. I'm glad I looked up that one the other week before dropping a decent amount of money on it. People seemed to not like it very much. They all said the bass is out of control on it. I got a Bowie MoFi of Ziggy Stardust a few weeks back for a huge deal and it might seriously be the best sounding record I own. So I started to go down the MoFi rabbit hole again and quickly realized that not all are created equal.

Actually upon more research--it does seem that the $450 box set was half speed remastered at Abbey Road. So I assume it's the same or similar as those which have okay reviews it seems.

Plus I've been wanting to check out the half speed Abbey Road albums so for under $20 was an easy call for me.

Last edited:
Oh I meant twice as much for the 2015 pressing that was linked that has a zipper. Not sure how much an OG costs but I was fine dropping under $20 for the half speed remaster either way. The half-speed isn't out yet so not sure how the hoffman folks are comparing them? Unless I'm missing something on that specific release.
Sorry, maybe I was thinking of Exile? I think there was a half speed box set, so there should be opinions on it as well, if it is the same.
I'm sorry I must have been thinking of the 2016 Exile half speed, which didn't get great reviews over there.

Just peruse this short, 91 page thread for the others. :ROFLMAO:
Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Apparently the Exile in the new set isn't the same as 2016 and is better, although some still don't love it.

SF I see conflicting opinions on it vs the 2015 version.

Agree it's worth a shot for under $20 though. I was thinking at least what used to be normal 2xLP Abbey Rd half speed price, which I thought was like $35.

I'm sorry I must have been thinking of the 2016 Exile half speed, which didn't get great reviews over there.

Apparently the Exile in the new set isn't the same as 2016 and is better, although some still don't love it.

Agree it's worth a shot for under $20 though. I was thinking at least what used to be normal 2xLP Abbey Rd half speed price, which I thought was like $35.
I like going to Hoffman sometimes to get people's opinions on what the best versions of certain things are. But man...those folks really know how to argue about pretty mundane details. I was looking at what digital/CD versions of some Bowie albums to get today and there was an entire PDF someone made comparing the west german CDs with the japanese CDs hah.

I grabbed the half-speed Abbey Road remaster of The Specials recently too which is en route to me. I think I paid $20 for it also. They have dropped in price for the most part. Some of the others, like Velvet Underground & Nico, are now out of print and real pricey.

Yea--maybe you are referring to the MoFi version? That one is half-speed remastered. I'm glad I looked up that one the other week before dropping a decent amount of money on it. People seemed to not like it very much. They all said the bass is out of control on it. I got a Bowie MoFi of Ziggy Stardust a few weeks back for a huge deal and it might seriously be the best sounding record I own. So I started to go down the MoFi rabbit hole again and quickly realized that not all are created equal.

Actually upon more research--it does seem that the $450 box set was half speed remastered at Abbey Road. So I assume it's the same or similar as those which have okay reviews it seems.

Plus I've been wanting to check out the half speed Abbey Road albums so for under $20 was an easy call for me.
Yeah I steer clear of those older MoFis for that reason (also most aren't as cheap as other well regarded used pressings).

Good luck with the new press of SF, let us know what you think of the sound!

I like going to Hoffman sometimes to get people's opinions on what the best versions of certain things are. But man...those folks really know how to argue about pretty mundane details. I was looking at what digital/CD versions of some Bowie albums to get today and there was an entire PDF someone made comparing the west german CDs with the japanese CDs hah.

I grabbed the half-speed Abbey Road remaster of The Specials recently too which is en route to me. I think I paid $20 for it also. They have dropped in price for the most part. Some of the others, like Velvet Underground & Nico, are now out of print and real pricey.
Yeah, that place used to drive me crazy, which is why I stopped frequenting it. There is a ton of valuable best pressing information, but man do you have to dig for it between the one thousand posts about the Beatles per day and a bunch of people arguing about how new music sucks. Not to mention the vinyl vs digital debate that happens over and over again and post after post of DR numbers (followed by the same argument about them).

Happy to have traded that music forum experience for this one. Still check over there for research only.

This is what I was wanting to know/hoping for. Now I am excited and will likely be picking up a new copy of Exile and hope for the best.

Yeah, that place used to drive me crazy, which is why I stopped frequenting it. There is a ton of valuable best pressing information, but man do you have to dig for it between the one thousand posts about the Beatles per day and a bunch of people arguing about how new music sucks. Not to mention the vinyl vs digital debate that happens over and over again and post after post of DR numbers (followed by the same argument about them).

Happy to have traded that music forum experience for this one. Still check over there for research only.
Yea--when I want to get an older record, I always google "album name + best pressing hoffman forum" or something similar and can almost always get an idea of which ones to buy and what to avoid. I never voluntarily just peruse the posts because it can drive a person crazy haha.

They did this one in 2015, wasn't sure if they were still hanging around in places The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
I found this weird pressing at a flea market, and it wasn't on Discogs, so I added it.
Right away I knew something was up, no zipper and a label design I had never seen on Sticky Fingers.

I have this version that I picked up for a song - I keep the cover in its own outer sleeve with the record completely separate. It's definitely worth trying to track down one with a real zipper...

I found this weird pressing at a flea market, and it wasn't on Discogs, so I added it.
Right away I knew something was up, no zipper and a label design I had never seen on Sticky Fingers.
Nice find. This is part of what makes record collecting so interesting.

To be fair, it would probably be $22 US to ship to France also.

Kendra Morris paid $61,75 to ship two records from NYC to Paris with USPS tracked. If I have to ship two records to NYC it would cost me 37€ so around $40.

Back