Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 41 - November 2022 /// The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site

avecigrec

Well, hot diggity, let's get into it...

While I've yet to make my way through all of them, I absolutely love the N&G AotM series. I've lost more than a few evenings trying to puzzle out clues to past volumes, so it's going to be a bit strange not fiendishly waiting for new clues to be posted!

And while I certainly did ponder the possibility of using this podium as a potential gateway for others into the realms of the Sun Ra Omniverse, this is not that thread.

I'll also be posting almost-AotMs along the way. My goal is to post an album that might have been and at least one clue each day, but ADHD and life may say otherwise.

Whoever guesses the album correctly gets a copy!

Have fun. Play safe. Don't get captured.

(how we got here)

As much as I love to be ahead of the curve, sometimes I’m late to the party
It’s inevitable, but typically avoidable too.

For as long as I can remember I’ve had a low-grade hint of oppositional defiance that seems to manifest most prominently in my likes and dislikes in correlation to others. Far too often have I had contempt for art and artists deeply loved by others. I hated The Beatles for no good reason for YEARS, simply because they were/are beloved and it seemed expected that everyone loves them. It took a kid two years younger than me on my track and field team a solid amount of time and effort to weaken my unreasonable resolve by the end of my senior year of high school. I had similar experiences with Radiohead and The Tragically Hip concurrently and for a few years thereafter.

When I moved to Victoria in my mid-twenties, I quickly took unreasonable grudgery toward the entire genre of indie rock for reasons having very little to do with the music itself. Mostly it was hipsters. Moreso it was specific hipsters in my immediate community. Hipsters I considered friends, even! As much as I enjoyed having these hipsters in my circle of friends, though, I found their musical snobbery annoying and exhausting - so when they would gush and get excited about The Weakerthans coming to town or putting out a new album, I would shut down. And thus, for many years, I wrote off and ignored the existence of The Weakerthans.

Fast forward to a bunch of years later: I’m crushing on somebody hard and they send me a link to a Weakerthans song they happen to love a lot. The seal has been broken and I am now engaged with this band I have spent a decade or more avoiding! And, of course, it sounds great. Immediately I start listening to the rest of their stuff and reading up on the band, feeling somewhat like an idiot for having written them off for no reason for so long.

• Wait a minute! The singer was the bass player for Propagandhi?! Man, I loved "Stick the Fucking Flag Up Your Goddam Ass, You Sonofabitch" and "Homophobes Are Just Mad Cause They Can't Get Laid" back in the day!!
  • Hold up! The singer was co-founder of Arbeiter Ring Publishing (now ARP Books)?! Holy shit, I have a bunch of their books on my shelves!!
  • Stop the presses! I, at the time pretty much a full-time poet, had spent years ignoring this band fronted by an exceptionally brilliant songwriter?!

I still feel like an idiot about it at times but, instead, I try and be grateful that at least I finally came around.

I don’t remember whether there was any particular reason I chose Reconstruction SIte as the first album I would listen to but the chorus of the second song summed up my then-current feelings for that crush and my now-current feelings for this board:

I know you might roll your eyes at this
But I'm so glad that you exist

I was hooked.

(more on the album specifically coming soon below...)

Last edited:
a2942480080_10.jpg

While the sentimentality of being the first Weakerthans album I listened to will surely keep me biased, I truly believe it is also the finest of the four albums they put out. The band is firing on all cylinders here and has truly settled into their sound. Meanwhile, John K. Samson’s songwriting hit new heights here, planting him firmly, for me, in the upper echelon of all-time songwriters. His literate, charming and witty style contains so many small details that bring me such joy every time I revisit these songs - little fragments that absolutely floor me and leave me marvelling at his craft like, “And I broke / Like a bad joke / Somebody's uncle told / At a wedding reception in 1972.” The phrasing and depth of image here still to this day leave me with a feeling of “How the hell did he do that!”

Being well into my poetry “career” at the time of discovering this album, I’m embarrassed to admit how long it took before I realized the short, framing songs that beginning-middle-end the album were sonnets. This again was a giant “Holy shit!” moment for me. And a bit of a facepalm. Considering how excited I’d get when someone would have the audacity to perform sonnets at a poetry slam, it’s hilarious how the sung versions eluded me for a time. These snapshot sonnets perfectly lay the themes of grief, loss and hope that texture Reconstruction Site. "(Hospital Vespers)" makes me tear up almost every time.

On my first pass through this album all those years ago I may have taken songs like “One Great City,” “Plea from a Cat Named Virtute” and "Our Retired Explorer (Dines with Michel Foucault in Paris, 1961)" to have more of a novelty bent, but many listens have proven that me quite wrong. Novel concepts and witty writing yes, but not novelty at all. Nearly anybody from Canada will probably relate to “One Great City”’s line “I hate Winnipeg” - perhaps most especially many people from Winnipeg, but there is an ambivalence far deeper than just a flip-off to the city here. And Virtute’s Plea is a particularly adept external examination of living with depression seen through the eyes of Samson’s recurring cohabitating feline.

As mentioned off the top, I feel like the band really gelled their sound with this album. Their debut, Fallow, very much sounded like Samson’s post-Propagandhi album with its rougher edges and two songs that were originally recorded with Propagandhi, while Left and Leaving found the Weakerthans further finding their footing and putting out an absolutely fantastic collection of songs, but to me was still lacking the cohesion the found here on Reconstruction Site. Besides the placement of the sonnets holding the themes of the album together, the sequencing of the entire album feels like a perfect container for the material and the attention of the listeners. The tracks here seem to flow perfectly into one another to create much more the feeling of a journey than simply a collection of songs.

Ultimately, I don’t think it’s possible to go wrong with any Weakerthans album, or either of John K. Samson’s solo albums to date. This further intensifies the sheepishness of having ignored the band for so long over petty reasons. Particularly given that Samson’s poetic fortitude as a songwriter really rocks off the socks I seldom wear! As a bonus, while I haven’t met any of the others, John K. Samson is an absolute sweetheart and a genuinely fascinating and engaged human being - and what’s not to love about that?!

Last edited:
Albums that could have been :: No. 1

Drive-By Truckers – The Dirty South

For the longest time, this WAS going to be my AotM. I'd chosen it to be so before even signing up to be a selector. The pinnacle of an amazing three-album run and, for me: GOAT DBT. Three killer songwriters firing on all cylinders crafting a widespread exploration of "The Southern Thing." It took me a long time to delve deeply into the DBT catalogue because anytime I dipped my toes I would immediately return to this album. Standouts for me are "Putting People on the Moon," "Daddy's Cup" and "Danko/Manuel," which is one of my favourite songs, period.

I steered away from this being my AotM pick because I felt like so many people here already have it. If you don't I can't recommend it highly enough.

Yonder Mountain String Band has 20th anniversary reissues on their March site but they're still $55. I assume you're not pitching their latest album which is far cheaper.

Albums that could have been :: No. 2

Sam Tudor – Quotidian Dream

I listened to this one a lot digitally when it was first released and then completely forgot about it for a couple of years until I was visiting one of the local record shops I don't love for the first time and the woman behind the counter was playing it. Turns out Sam had done a show at their shop pre-Covid and left a few copies for them to sell and I promptly snatched up the last two. Dreamy psychedelic folk pop from an absolutely delightful young man barely in his twenties when this was released shortly after he'd moved to the big ol' city of Vancouver from the Northern Interior of British Columbia. I particularly enjoy how deceptively some of these songs sound until you start listening more closely. "Clinical Names" and "Joseph in the Bathroom" are particular favourites for me here, but I adore the whole album from start to finish.

I steered away from this one because Sam was incredibly low on stock when I checked in with him about it a few months ago. It looks as though now he is sold out!

Back